Author Topic: The Other Half and Your Collection  (Read 16360 times)

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
Re: The Other Half
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2009, 03:28 PM »
I get so many recommendations from people to order online, I really need to add a disclaimer as my sig:

"Thanks for your concern, but online ordering is NEVER going to be an option for me as long as I am married to my current wife. You fine people simply do not grasp the atomic level intensity of my wife's temper when it comes to boxes of worthless junk toys showing up at our house. I do not need that kind of stress in my life. I would rather have my nuts splattered with a ballpeen hammer than to endure that kind of unrelentingly painful punishment."

Trust me, it's much more appealing to go through the angst and frustration of driving store to store than to put up with any more of that nonsense.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2009, 04:18 PM »
Mc, I can understand & sympathize with your dilemma  but at the same time I cannot respect it (I lived it at one point so I know it first hand). It's a classic case of not setting the rules beforehand and letting the woman disrespect you. They got to respect your hobby and deal with it especially if you are the breadwinner and are responsible with your money/time. Cause if they don't they don't respect you - period. Does she shop like crazy? Buy too many shoes? I'm am sure there is something she is being a hypocrite on. Call her on it, use the reverse psychology on her. Too many guys fall into this new age crap. I did at one point and learned the hard way.

When I started dating my wife and other chics after my ex I laid the rules out. I collect SWs and lift weights, it's what I do do not expect me to stop unless we are in a pinch or I am irresponsible. They do not have to like what you collect or do as a hobby but they have to respect it (so long as it's not harming you relationship and drugs etc). I learned my lesson with my exgirlfriend the more I gave in the less they respect you and walk all over you. I even sold stuff out of guilt to shut her up/make her happy, it was the worst mistake I ever made. I am the king of the castle, the breadwinner and I responsible with my spending. If a box shows up on my doorstep I expect it brought in from the cold with no peeps. If finances were tight, I stayed out all night or was not taking care of my family I would get the gripes. If you are buying it anyway what's the difference?

I just moved and now have my own bedroom for my collection. My family is taken care of first but I got my space and was part of the criteria of our house hunting. Women no matter what age, race, or background will respect you more if you hold your ground. (Look for pics coming soon on my ultimate SW room soon)

It really makes a difference. I sincerely mean what I said above man to man.

Back to topic I just got a notice from EE they are limiting my preorder on the Geo Bubble pack because Hasbro contacted them about the limits. I had 4 on preorder to finish off my 6 Gunships. I already have 8 Gunship Bubbles but it's a sign of the shortage that the article spoke off. I do not mind too much as the TRU Crumbomber is really meant to have closed doors, I may use the old school ones so they can fold in.

I spent a lot of money on that pack already.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 04:21 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2009, 04:32 PM »
Mc, I can understand & sympathize with your dilemma  but at the same time I cannot respect it (I lived it at one point so I know it first hand). It's a classic case of not setting the rules beforehand and letting the woman disrespect you. They got to respect your hobby and deal with it especially if you are the breadwinner and are responsible with your money/time. Cause if they don't they don't respect you - period. Does she shop like crazy? Buy too many shoes? I'm am sure there is something she is being a hypocrite on. Call her on it, use the reverse psychology on her. Too many guys fall into this new age crap. I did at one point and learned the hard way.

A punch in the stomach works good too.

j/k
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 12, 2009, 05:25 PM »
I know you were talking to McMetal, but I'm in the same boat as him. And you little "advice" was all well and good for your scenario, but I (and I'm sure McMetal) don't need you to tell us whether our wives respect us because they don't like the idea of spending thousands of dollars on toys.

Awesome for you that your wife is fine with it, but maybe you could watch calling others "p*ssies" in so many words when you have no idea about us and or our wives.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #94 on: November 12, 2009, 09:09 PM »
This is the best thread ever.

Offline JES

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 12, 2009, 09:20 PM »
Wow... I saw mention of ***** and of course I wasn't around to see any. Damn it!

Anyways... Can I ask a simple question. Whether or not you get a box in with more toys or just keep adding "secretly" to what you have already WTF is the difference? ???

Do your wives think the toy fairy showed up at night and **** out another load of those annoying little plastic men?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 09:23 PM by JES »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 13, 2009, 11:44 AM »
I don't want to derail this thread either because I love this forum and want to stay on the good side of the Mods, but I'll make 2 quick points and get back on topic.

I don't display any of the "new" stuff I buy, or even open it. Only the vintage stuff is on display, and that is all in the Man-Cave where the wife rarely makes an appearance. So anything I buy out in a store gets sneaked into the house surreptitiously and immediately stashed away. Only bigger packages showing up at the front door attract attention. THAT's what I am trying to avoid.

As for the other stuff, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I would just say that we should probably be careful about applying our own wisdom and experience to other people's situations though. There are a lot of complex relationship dynamics between men and women and it's really impossible to make snap judgements without being in those shoes. 'Nuff Said.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 12:32 PM by Jeff »
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JES

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 13, 2009, 11:57 AM »

As for the other stuff, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I would just say that we should probably be careful about applying our own wisdom and experience to other people's situations though. There are a lot of complex relationship dynamics between men and women and it's really impossible to make snap judgements without being in those shoes. 'Nuff Said.

Well, I think if one airs their laundry out then they don't have much a leg to stand on if people respond to it.

No matter how you slice it a relationship isn't just one sided. I have been with my wife for 14 years now. If you haven't come that far then you have a lot to come if you have hide toys because she'll bitch and moan. That's something you enjoy and whether or not she gives a **** about it it's your thing and should be respected.

Relationships are 50/50 - ask any judge he'll let ya know. I know my wife and I wouldn't be together if we didn't respect each others quirks be it good or bad. Come talk to me when you 14 years in.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 13, 2009, 12:20 PM »
There is a difference between sharing your wisdom and bad mouthing someone's relationship. I respect your 14 years of marriage, BUT that sure doesn't mean I'm ok with someone ripping my or other's relationships because you've been married longer.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 12:32 PM by Jeff »

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: The Other Half and Your Collection
« Reply #99 on: November 13, 2009, 12:55 PM »
I can't see any relationship lasting if one person is hiding their activities from the other.  If your relationship has that sort of dishonesty built in, it's pretty much doomed.  And it shows disrespect from both sides.

I pity you guys.  My wife encourages me to collect, and wonders what's wrong if I'm not spending enough.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 13, 2009, 01:10 PM »
I just called my lawyer and we're getting a divorce. Thanks guys for saving me years of hell.

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #101 on: November 13, 2009, 01:13 PM »
I'd have to agree with Bill here - how can you derive any pleasure from the hobby if you have to carry it out in secret? I'm not going to say anyone's relationship is better or worse off in any regards, but what's the point of collecting if it's something you have to immediately hide away in fear of, as McMetal put it, "unrelentingly painful punishment" from your partner? I wouldn't go as far as JACK stated and "set ground rules" or anything (some of that sounded pretty misogynistic, man), but you should feel free to, within economical and fair boundaries, carry out your hobbies without threat or fear of retribution. That's just my 2˘, and of course we all have political and social dynamics in every relationship, but life is too short to have to concede the things we love the most, and that goes both ways.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #102 on: November 13, 2009, 01:22 PM »
The way I see it, what your doing isn't much different from sneaking around and sleeping with other women.  It's a broken trust.  If you can't agree on a certain activity, you either stand your ground and fight about it every time or you quit.  Lying about it just poisons the relationship.  How can you have any respect for your spouse if you lie to her constantly?
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 13, 2009, 01:35 PM »
Thanks for your opinions guys.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #104 on: November 13, 2009, 03:03 PM »
My gf sometimes bitches but I just ignore her.  Not her money, even though our relationship is sort of like marriage and we spend on one another for various things.  Sometimes the funny money's short to do things like going out and that's when I catch a little hell.  But I simply ignore it and get the stuff I want.

Ultimately she's not threatening me with a split over it, and even if she was I think it'd be a bluff. 

I do think some spending can get to excess...  But I'd hope folks are putting their bills and things first and not at that point.  That's also a betrayal against the spouse even if you maybe bring home the bacon.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77