Author Topic: The Other Half and Your Collection  (Read 16268 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
The Other Half and Your Collection
« on: May 27, 2003, 11:20 AM »
Alright, how many of you "sneak" toys into your house or perhaps just stealthily slide a new figure onto the shelf or into storage?  Does your significant other have a clue as to either the volume or the dollar value (what you spend)?  

If you're not married and living with your parents, do you sneak stuff past them (much more risky to me than doing same with spouse)?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 12:33 PM by Jeff »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Question for the married folks
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 11:41 AM »
Yep, all the time.  I don't think Patty has a clue on the total amount I've spent on SW (though she could probably fashion a guess)...  I'll usually show her any brand new figures that I find, since she's usually hunting for them herself, and is surprisingly genuinely excited to see new stuff for the first time.  But when it comes to extras/multiples of figures and ships, or just miscellaneous stuff, I'll try to sneak it in and "blend" it into the collection without her knowing (most of which is boxed up anyways).

Hiding that Master Replicas Anakin FX lightsaber from her didn't work out too well though.  I told her it was just a cheap commemorative baseball bat, but she wound up reading the shipping label on the box, when she finally found it stashed behind a table...   :'(

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2003, 11:49 AM »
This is a very interesting topic!   ;)

I wish I could sneak things in here, but unfortunately my wife would know exactly what is being spent on what because she's a VP of a huge bank here.  She handles all the financial responsibilities here.  So, that means I have no way in acquiring new Star Wars items without her knowing about it.  She questions EVERYTHING that is charged to the credit cards and debit card.  But I really shouldn't complain too much, because she does let me buy just about anything I want (within reason, of course).

Now my good buddy, Jeff (who goes by darthberger here but hasn't posted one message yet  >:(), sneaks things in all the time by his wife.  He did, however, get busted this weekend about it.  He always has his ebay winnings mailed to his work address, and then he brings a little bit here & there home with him.  Well, he brought too much stuff home at once and she noticed his shelves were a lot more full than normal.  He totally got chewed out big time!  I felt sorry for him.
dustrho

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2003, 11:57 AM »
I'm engaged.  So, almost married.  I'm not really supposed to be spending much on Star Wars.  The retailers around my area are helping me since they don't get much of anything anymore.  However, when I do get something SW related I don't tell the fiance.  I just put it away.  So, I guess I'm sneeking around a bit.  HOwever, if we are in a store together I do tell her I'm going to look in the Star Wars aisle.  She does not really seem to mind.  I don't think she would care unless I was buying tons of Star Wars stuff all the time.  

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2003, 12:28 PM »
I am not married but I am Common-Law so I guess you can say I'm sorta married. I try to hide the toys that I buy but when I get them at a store or in the mail, I just have to show them off.
When I got that DT Luke, & showed her, she said thats very nice. Then I told her how much I paid for it. Her reaction,   :o   ::)

Priceless.  ;D

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2003, 12:35 PM »
I am a sort of sneaker but not really.  She sees all of the packages that I get and sometimes she is none too happy.  I seriously am running out of room already in my new place and I really can't start any new collections besides continuing the 3 3/4" stuff and some of the other lines I do collect.

I rarely buy much at retail anymore though so that may be part of the problem and she doesn't realize how much I used to buy.  

We just talked about this though this weekend, she basically has resigned herself to the fact that if she wants something she will buy it...and I am OK with that :-*

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2003, 01:20 PM »
what you are about to read will be denied at any and all opportunities, should the good Mrs. Bug wander into the room.  

Remember that thread about all the junk/toys in my office?  Well, like dustrho's buddy, I get all my stuff delivered to work.  As I indicated in the other thread, two reasons.  The one I listed was security - from theft, weather etc. and that's true.  The other, unlisted reason was so that they could later be stealthily deployed at home.  

I have a pile of stuff at work and at home.  We have a crawl space and the Mrs. is rather claustrophobic at times, so she won't go into it.   ;D  I am not and will happily.  there are about 8 huge tupperware tubs down there and all that stuff will eventually make its way out to display, but slowly.  Add to that all the McFarlane stuff I have and boom, tons o toys and tons o $$.  
Like Scott, I don't question what my wife spends her money on, so I believe that gives me justification (hey, I said believe ok).  

I think I've convinced myself to get rid of many of the McFarlane hockey figures (keeping the goalies) except for a few of my favorites.  That should eat up less display room though I still need to get 19 goalies (after NHL5) and variants (10) home and on display without raising the ire of the Mrs.  Eight of those goalies have no variants BTW, unless you get into the whole logo-no logo water bottle discussion.  Three football players to get home too.  

Then I've got to get the Marvel Legends type stuff home too.  Fortunately the Simpsons stuff will just stay at work.  

Wife goes away for a week in August with the buglet ;)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2003, 01:49 PM »
I'm in Chris's boat as my wife does the finances and sees all the CC charges.  We each get $150 a week "allowance" (minus $30 for groceries, so its actually $120) to spend anyway we feel.  After gas, lunches, golf, comics, dinners, etc., I'm not left with much money to spend on toys anyway.  Add to the fact that, I've not seen a late 2002 or 2003 figure in stores besides Obi Acklay and Tyranus, all my ordering is now on-line.  Since the wife will see the charges anyway, there really is no need to sneak anything into the house.  And if a large charge is going to be on the statement (ie, a new case from newforce or large shipment from kebco), I'll always tell her first anyways and always pay it back from my allowance (maybe not in one fell swoop, but in payment "plans"), so everything works out in the end.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2003, 01:54 PM »

Spidey....hypnotic.....feel urge.....to take....modern....dance...class

Must....resist...

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2003, 02:04 PM »
Good question.

I sneak stuff in when possiable but the problem is getting the mail since she works second shift and is always home when it arrives.  Now that we have this new house she gives me the look when alot of items arrive at once.  I really have stopped most of my spending or have offset it buy selling :'( some items or buy working out trades.   She doubts that all my trades are infact trades but that buys me a little leeway.

In a way I am glad she keeps an eye on me. Before we got together I spent way way to much, now I am more disaplined in my spending.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Membraneman

• Jedi Initiate
  • Me, Me, Me !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2003, 10:40 PM »
I refuse to answer, on the grounds it might incriminate me ::)
I FIND, YOU FIND, WE TRADE

Bob Newton
Membraneman
BHC Administrator
bob@galactichunter.com

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2003, 10:50 PM »
Heh, even you Bob?  Even YOU?  I'll be burying this topic when the wife comes home.  Why do you think the title is a little more cryptic that DO YOU SNEAK TOYS? ;D

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2003, 11:29 PM »
I'll be burying this topic when the wife comes home.  Why do you think the title is a little more cryptic that DO YOU SNEAK TOYS? ;D

Yeah, you don't want to get yourself into any kind of trouble now.   8)
dustrho

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2003, 11:37 PM »
Too late for that Chris, my mouth is just a tad too big for my brain.   ;)

Offline Membraneman

• Jedi Initiate
  • Me, Me, Me !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2003, 08:19 AM »
Actually she's pretty good about it. As long as I'm up front with her it's OK.  ;)
I FIND, YOU FIND, WE TRADE

Bob Newton
Membraneman
BHC Administrator
bob@galactichunter.com