Author Topic: The Other Half and Your Collection  (Read 16266 times)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Question for the married folks
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2003, 10:08 AM »
 ;D

Offline max_one

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2003, 05:55 PM »
i am constantly sneaking figs, ships, everything has to be brought in with stealth or there would be hell to pay on most occasions.

Offline chuckles

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2003, 11:18 PM »
Let's see. I came home today from work with a couple new Deluxe figs and the TRU 4-pack I found during lunch and low and behold, my wife is napping on the couch. Do I wake her and show her the new stuff, or do I as quietly as possible, take the bags up to the room where my collection is at.  ;)  You guessed it, upstairs they went with my wife none the wiser.  :o

Most stuff she does end up knowing about but there is the occassional thing that gets snuck past her. And oh, let's not forget the times where I "bend" the truth as far as how much I just spent on the stuff I walk in with. She, fortunately for me, doesn't have any clue as to pricing, so a $75 bag of goodies can easily be passed off as only spending $40.  ;D

Offline Karma

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2003, 08:49 AM »
The hubby is also a fellow SW fan and he knows all about the toys I bring home, but does get a bit peeved that I keep them carded/boxed and that he can't play with them. But, in my defense, if something is really cool, I buy a second one just for that reason.

I do have to sneak some costuming stuff past him...I've spent a pretty penny on some stuff an I've 'disguised' the amounts I've paid for accessories, the perfect pair of boots, his Han Solo holster, etc...

I do feel really bad about my latest scandal....I bought a set of Stormtrooper armor and told him I'd traded another costume I'd made for it, which is a total lie, but I really wanted the armor. I paid for it out of money I'd saved on my own, but I stil lied, because I know he'd be totally PO-d and probably send me to counseling if he knew.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2003, 06:37 PM »
Man, I feel bad for some of you guys. I live with my girlfriend, and I wouldn't think of hiding my newest Star Wars purchase from her, or ever marrying her if I had to.  ;D

I know at some point, she wants me to buy a bigger house. That'll probably happen when we're married, and then I won't have as much disposable income to spend on Star Wars anymore. At that point, I'll have to monitor my own spending....but I certainly hope that if I decide to splurge, I don't get the third degree. Especially since she helps with my dioramas, she'll notice the new ones.
Got Clones?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2003, 08:18 PM »
I do feel really bad about my latest scandal....I bought a set of Stormtrooper armor and told him I'd traded another costume I'd made for it, which is a total lie, but I really wanted the armor. I paid for it out of money I'd saved on my own, but I stil lied, because I know he'd be totally PO-d and probably send me to counseling if he knew.

"Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper...?"

Sorry Karen, couldn't resist!   ;D  Perhaps you're not short at all though...  But FOR SHAME!  Pretty devious little move there, especially since those are some pretty pricey costumes though, aren't they?   ;)  As cool as the Stormtrooper getups are though, I think you should stick with those sweet costumes that you make yourself!  Much more unique and fitting for you, not to mention they stand out way better at the SW costume parties that are usually full of the 501st Stormtroopers already.

But I guess I don't blame you.  Those things are pretty damned cool!  I'd sure love to own a set, and play Stormtrooper for a day...  So, did you get the "female" Stormtrooper version, or just the standard dude?  I'm sure you've seen the pictures of that girl at C2 in her female Stormtrooper armor, right?   :D

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2003, 08:58 PM »
I've got a Jedi outfit, but I just got armor myself, and I highly prefer it. There's something cool about being as close to movie authentic as one can get, you know? I think I decided at Celebration 2 that I was going to get into the 501st, but it's taken me this long to finally do so.

Maybe I'll see Karma at C3 and we'll both be suited up. My girlfriend is currently working on Snowtrooper armor. It's a little trickier than Stormtrooper, because it's not as common, but I think that might be why she's doing it.
Got Clones?

Jango Fettish

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2003, 10:52 PM »
Luckily, I don't have this problem. All my purchases are through eBay, and well, there honestly no way of hiding them from her so she has come to accept it.

I'm pretty good at bargain shopping, so the amount of dough I invest is minimal..

So, over the past 30 days I have spent around $150 on my hobby. I make a good bit, and I have sold alot of my stuff to turn around buy, so why not? Alison has spent a solid $50 on Corsica/Beretta memorabilia.

JANGO FETT - stands 4 feet high    
  $6.25
   Star Wars Ep 2 JANGO FETT Calendar Card #2    
  $3.84  
   TEMUERA MORRISON PHOTO CARD STAR WARS WEEKEND
   $2.82  
   STAR WARS Book Boba Fett The Fight To Survive    
  $4.25
   Star Wars/Jango Fett 10" Vinyl Figure/Rare    
  $5.99  
   Star Wars Clone Wars Boba Promotional Poster    
  $2.25  
   Jango Fett~Yoda~Darth Vader~Battle Droid~Mags    
  $4.28
   BNWOT official Star Wars t-shirt - 11-12 yrs    
  $5.25  
   Star Wars Playing Cards. Mint. Unopened.    
  $6.56  
   Star Wars GC & PS2 Bounty Hunter Game Standup    
  $25.00  
   Fett UNPAINTED ARMOR!! K-mart Twin Pack!    
  $23.99  
   AOTC Saga Han Solo Hoth Rescue MOC    
  $8.
   Star wars Bounty Hunter Limited Edition Pack    
  $21.51  
   Star Wars JANGO FETT Shirt SHINY Boys 8 NICE    
  $4.95  
   Protech "The Star Case 2" - Qty (10)    
  $12.50  
   Star Wars Boba Fett Helmet 3-D Pewter Keyring    
  $6.49  
« Last Edit: May 29, 2003, 10:54 PM by Jango Fettish »

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2003, 01:22 AM »
You still dont' have a full on Jango Fett costume yet, do you? I've seen a few now, and they are pretty darn sweet.
Got Clones?

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2003, 01:23 AM »
You still dont' have a full on Jango Fett costume yet, do you?

You think he would have one of those for sure.  C'mon Cory... what are you waiting for?   ;)
dustrho

Offline Karma

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2003, 08:13 AM »
The main reason I got the armor is because the 501st FL Garrison is pretty active...we only have a few active  Rebel Legion members, so events wind up being all-501st events anyway.  ::)   Plus, people in armor get most of the attention anyway. Do you know how many times I've been called Princess Leia when I'm in my Jedi robes? It's sad.

I didn't get the "FemTrooper" version, since some 501st events are canon-only, like marching in Disney's MGM  Fan Club Weekend parade.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2003, 12:11 PM »
Like Morgbug, I too get my goods delivered to the office for the security and stealth reasons.  I don't hide anything, so to speak.  It's not my fault he's not home when I come in with my goodies and plop it somewhere in the never ending collection. ;)

I know when Luke's saber came last week from MR, he said "So, is this what part of the tax refund went for?" and I honestly answered "No, of course not",  as it went for another prop...again not my fault he asked the wrong question. :)

Beth

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2003, 06:14 PM »
I know when Luke's saber came last week from MR, he said "So, is this what part of the tax refund went for?" and I honestly answered "No, of course not",  as it went for another prop...again not my fault he asked the wrong question. :)

That's too funny jadesfire!   ;D

As for me, this isn't a major concern quite yet, as my girl and I are still several months away from officially engaged status.  So for now, my finances are solely mine to be concerned with.  But I suppose if I don't find a nice enough rock to stick on her finger, she might seriously start eyeing my collection and pointing out the lopsided discrepancy!   :o

But once we're engaged, and obviously even moreso once we're married, I'll have to get a feel for her tolerance on my SW spending habits before I officially decide if "sneaking" stuff will be necessary.  I'm guessing it might just be.  But I suppose as long as she's allowed to continue on with her massive clothes and shoes collection, she should hopefully not have much of a problem with my Star Wars stuff.   Keyword: Hopefully.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 2, 2003, 12:51 AM »
I just feel so much better now.   ;D  Well, not as lonely anyway.  Last three things through the door were a case of figs (hey, I count it as 1), a Hobgoblin (which my daughter loves - so much for hiding it) and a Marvel Legends Magneto.  Heh. :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Pistol Pete

• Youngling
  • Maul
    • View Profile
The Other Half and your Collection
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2004, 10:03 AM »
My wife has been ragging on me for the last 3 months to clean out my closet and sell off some of my enormous collection.  Its something I don't really want to do but I also don't want my wife to be mad at me.  She collects nothing and doesn't really get the whole scene I guess or the Obsessiveness that comes with being a collector.  Shrugs whats a guy to do
Bang Bang