Author Topic: The Other Half and Your Collection  (Read 16357 times)

Offline P'Dubs of the Sith

• Youngling
  • Bow to the might that is the Sith............
    • View Profile
Re: The Other Half
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2004, 10:31 AM »
By better looking than me femanin companion is fine with me collecting, my room has toys on about every wall but one and and she's fine with it and she wouldn't ever make me get rid of them.

Just rent out a storage shed and display them in there, she never has to know.  ;D

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2004, 11:44 AM »
Patience man, patience.  You absolutely have to find her something to collect. Anything.  Tea cups, coke paraphenalia, beer bottles, whatever.  

My wife is pretty cool about it, but at times questions what I'm doing/thinking (I question it too).  But thanks to the muppets, she is much, much less annoyed lately.  I picked up tuxedo kermit as a joke and she loved it.  Then managed to score Statler and Waldorf from Scott on here.  buffetfan helped me out with a tour animal.  Now my wife is asking what else is out there and what is coming up.  She likes them and wants more.   ;D  Making my life easier, but she is by no means a completeist.  Yet.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Pistol Pete

• Youngling
  • Maul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2004, 02:43 PM »
Thats a good idea Morgbug, try and get her into collecting something to lessen the guilt.  Hmmm, I don't know if she would go for that one even
Bang Bang

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2004, 04:31 PM »
Just rent out a storage shed and display them in there, she never has to know.  ;D

Space Jam

I't absolutely my favorite "Yes, Dear" ever.  Followed closely by Greg and his father's trip to San Diego Comic Con.

Patience man, patience.  You absolutely have to find her something to collect. Anything.  Tea cups, coke paraphenalia, beer bottles, whatever.  

This is the type of arrangement my wife and I have currently.  Everytime she seees me drag another bag full of figures into the house, it's just another "Pampered Chef" pizza stone, or "Longerberger" basket, or Spa day with the girls.  

Early on in our relationship, there was a bit of grumbling about the dollars spent on SW.  My lovely wife was concerned we were "wasting our money", money that could be well spent on other things (things that "we" wanted, and by "we", I mean she).

So, for kicks, we added up a year's worth of receipts for her "stuff" for a year (Pampered Chef, Spa Days, Salon hair treatments, etc) and all my "stuff" (SW stuff and power tools).  We left our stuff like clothes/food as we'd buy those anyway.  We're talking pure luxury "I gotta have it because I want it not because I need it" items.  

We were both surprised to see that the dollar amounts were VERY close (within $100).  After that, we kind of realized that we both have hobbies and we both have different ways to relax.

Sure, I buy SW stuff that "we" don't need, but at the same time she buys her share of stuff that we don't need.  Since then, neither of us has every really groused that the other is wasting too much money.  

So, to recap.  She has her "Spa days" and product x Parties, while I have my Star Wars room.  Everyone is happy.  That is the blessing of being DINKs (Duel-Income, No Kids), which I'm sure will all change when we finally get around to having kids...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P'Dubs of the Sith

• Youngling
  • Bow to the might that is the Sith............
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2004, 04:35 PM »
Thats a good idea Morgbug, try and get her into collecting something to lessen the guilt.  Hmmm, I don't know if she would go for that one even
Snow babies my man....Snow babies. 8)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2004, 10:17 PM »
My wife has been ragging on me for the last 3 months to clean out my closet and sell off some of my enormous collection.  Its something I don't really want to do but I also don't want my wife to be mad at me.  She collects nothing and doesn't really get the whole scene I guess or the Obsessiveness that comes with being a collector.  Shrugs whats a guy to do

divorce my man... divorce. that's what i did  ;D

now i have my own place with not one, not two, but three rooms - three - where i have star wars items displayed. and a fourth room where the "non star wars" items - mostly nightmare before christmas - go.

it's a beautiful thing, being single.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #36 on: May 4, 2004, 11:12 PM »
Been reasonably fortunate so far with this issue myself.  Patty's pretty damned tolerant of my collection (and obsessive compulsive collecting habits), and often assists in adding the latest stuff to it herself...  But if I ever let too much of it trickle out of the hobby room, and lay elsewhere around the house for more than a few days, I'm playing with fire!  She'll also bring it up if she's in a bad mood about something else, or if I rag on her for spending too much money on something(s).

But for the most part, she's really cool with it all about 95% of the time.  Gonna get a little trickier in the coming years though, since this stuff ain't slowin' down, and my hobby room and two large storage units are already completely full of my SW loot.  No room left...   :-\

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 4, 2004, 11:53 PM »
My wife has been ragging on me for the last 3 months to clean out my closet and sell off some of my enormous collection.  Its something I don't really want to do but I also don't want my wife to be mad at me.  She collects nothing and doesn't really get the whole scene I guess or the Obsessiveness that comes with being a collector.  Shrugs whats a guy to do

divorce my man... divorce. that's what i did  ;D

now i have my own place with not one, not two, but three rooms - three - where i have star wars items displayed. and a fourth room where the "non star wars" items - mostly nightmare before christmas - go.

it's a beautiful thing, being single.

That sounds good for the first few days until, um, all of the soldier's men start building up with no chance in sight to deploy them.

Then all of the sudden that compromise with your girlfriend or wife to keep your hobby confined to just one room in your house didn't sound so bad...
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #38 on: May 5, 2004, 09:58 AM »
Well, my girlfriend bought me the Imperial Shuttle, so I guess she's cool with it. I have one of the bedrooms in the apartment for my office/collection room. She even suggested that I run a shelf along the wall to fit more stuff (I have a large shelf unit that I built that's chock-full of figures), and hang some of the ships from the ceiling. Luckily I only collect loose, so space is less of a problem.

I know that there is some conflict within her, though, because she's an interior designer. Her opinion is that the display shouldn't look cluttered...but that's not too easy with all these star wars toys!  ;)
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Would you give up collecting for a woman?
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2005, 10:43 PM »
Well?

:P

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: Would you give up collecting for a woman?
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2005, 10:44 PM »
I used to say no to this question.

But now, I say yes. As long as she didn't want me to sell it all.
If she wanted me to sell it, I'd distance myself from her.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Victor_Von_Doom

• Jedi Initiate
  • Curse Richards
    • View Profile
    • Wampa's Cave
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2005, 11:09 PM »
I think most of us made this decision a long time ago  ;)

If it was Star Wars figures in general, I would say for the perfect woman yes. If it was for action figures in general, I'd say no. I can live without Leia, but take away all my Teelas, Baronesses, and Elektras, and I'd be a sad existance.
WTB Autographs and loose vintage, PM me!
"The Dude abides" - The Big Lebowski

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2005, 11:12 PM »
I wouldn't give up anything for a woman :-X
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2005, 11:28 PM »
Yes, but it would have to be a severe situation. Finances, or somthing.

You take me and my hobby. It's a package. I also have a package.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2005, 11:43 PM »
Hell no! 

Come to think of it all started when my wife game me a orange card POTF Dagobah Luke on our 5th date.  She still denies it, but it went all downhill from there.   :P