Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed  (Read 85141 times)

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
« Reply #90 on: August 22, 2008, 08:35 PM »
I downloaded the demo yesterday.  This game is going to be so awesome!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2008, 10:12 AM »
Played the demo some more, figured out that you can play a different difficulty levels and played on the hardest. I love the challenge. I also love that the game is designed for you to figure out how to do the most damage in one action.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2008, 02:29 AM »
I've played it once, and it's a visually impressive game but I'm not totally sold on it yet...  The controls are a little wonky.  It falls prey to a slightly bad camera system it seems.  Reminds me of Bounty Hunter and the camera system in that game, which wasn't a deal breaker on that otherwise excellent game, so I'm not judging FU by that.  I just definitely am not sure on this one yet.  It had a cool feel to it, the story sounds intriguing and that's like 80% of a game to me usually...  I just don't know if I'll get used to the controls enough to enjoy playing it through.  I felt like it was sort of out of control for some reason.

Again, I played it once so I have more to do to give it a fair shot.

Graphics were pretty stunning though, and not knowing how large the level you get is, I played till I got a little ways into the open hangar where the TIE's start shooting at you.  Which was a little lame because they're shooting at you towards the side somehow even though they're not really facing you...  Hard to explain but I just wasn't seeing how they could train their guns on you without stopping, but I digress.

Throwing **** around was fun though and I liked the little stuff like the windows blowing out and blast doors shutting to seal them.  That's cool to see in the SW universe.  Seeing the functionality of everything in action, ya know?  Bulkheads sealing and whatnot.  Again, graphics/environment is great, it's the controls I'm iffy on. 

It's a SW game though so who am I kidding?  I'll probably ask for it for my bday or something.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2008, 09:40 AM »
The demo doesn't go on for too much longer after the TIE's are shooting at ya. The last thing you have to defeat gives you an even better idea of the game difficulty.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #94 on: September 2, 2008, 01:43 AM »
I got to the AT-ST and don't really get the button flashes they keep showing.  The game's not too hard if it's set to normal (one step above the easiest setting).  Set above that though, I can't get out of the first hangar.  It's disgustingly hard with no health replenishment.  Lame.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 4, 2008, 06:55 PM »
Q&A we had at Yak with the developers -

Q #1: Are there anymore major surprises in store or has most of it been revealed through Hasbro, Lucasarts etc.?
-Submitted By Paul Skywalker

A: Definitely!  We’ve revealed a lot, but that’s just the beginning of the story of The Force Unleashed.

Q #2: Are there unlockable characters that we can play as once the game has been "beaten", like the Emperor etc.?
-Submitted By Jayson

A: There are unlockable characters in the game, but the only one we’ve officially announced is PROXY the holodroid.  Astute searchers will be able to find cheat codes for other characters if they look around, though.

Q #3: Did you lobby Hasbro for specific characters to be made into action figures, or did they just choose which ones to make on their own?
-Submitted By Darth Kikinou

A: It worked both ways.  We presented the story and characters to Hasbro, with suggestions about what we felt would make the coolest action figures. They took many of these suggestions, and then also looked at all the concept art and picked a few additional characters.

Q #4: Many people of my generation grew up playing games with only 2-D perspectives and have a very low attention span for anything 3-D. How do you feel this game will appeal to players like this who had a difficult time ever getting into the more recent titles like Battlefront I & II? Moreover, it seems that game aesthetics have become more of a priority than the "fun factor" for games of this sort these days, do you have any comment on any efforts that were made for TFU on this front?
-Submitted By Darth Kikinou

A: First and foremost this game is about kicking ass with the Force. From day one, everyone on the team – including Art Director Matt Omernick – agreed that gameplay would be king, and would dictate everything. We certainly don’t feel like we skimped on the art at all, but whenever we had to make a decision between aesthetics and gameplay, we chose gameplay. Accessibility was also very important to us. We focus tested the game numerous times to ensure that the controls are as easy to understand as possible, and that players can jump in and feel powerful from the first button press. You can grab the demo right now for Xbox 360 and PS3 to try out the game.

Q #5: Are there any OT characters that will be shown in the game that we haven't already been made aw are of ? Such as General Dodonna, Riekken, or others?
-Submitted By Chewie

A: We can’t reveal everything!  Princess Leia, Bail Organa, Darth Vader, and the Emperor are definitely in there, but we do have a few other surprises in store…

Q #6: Are there any Stormtroopers from the game that aren't being made by Hasbro? If so, can you share a pic of one of them?
-Submitted By Chewie

A: I believe so – we have about a dozen stormtrooper variants in the game, including a fearsome new version of the dark trooper.

Q #7: Can you say whether there is any validity to the rumor that the secret apprentice is Quinlan Vos's son? He was found on Kashyyyk, where we last saw Vos in the Republic comic series, he was grabbed by Vader as a child and raised by vader, so the timeline seems to work......
-Submitted By Jedistyle

A: All along, we’ve tried to keep the Apprentice somewhat mysterious and actually not reveal very much about him – even in the game. In fact, the team really wanted to avoid naming him, preferring to just use his codename of “Starkiller” instead. This was based on some direction from George Lucas, who stressed that a bit of mystery is part of Star Wars and we should avoid revealing everything. We don’t ever name him in the game, though he is named in the novel.

Q #8: I have read that there are 3 ending for this game, 1 canon, and 1 each of dark and light side. Does this game sport the light and darkside point system like the KOTOR RPG, allowing players to choose to attempt to remain in the dark or light side of the force?
-Submitted By Jedistyle

A: While we’re all big fans of KOTOR, The Force Unleashed is definitely a very different type of game. The Force Unleashed is very action-oriented with some light RPG elements.  You’ll face a decision in the game that will result in different endings, but it isn’t a meter that runs while you play.

Q #9: Will the Secret Apprentice be able to wield a blaster at any point, or will he be relying solely on this lightsaber and Force abilities?
-Submitted By: Chewie

A: We really focused on the notion of the Force unleashed, so your primary offensive weapons are Force powers. We consider the lightsaber another Force power and put just as much thought (probably more) into making it as versatile as possible.

Q #10: Though it may be too early to ask, Are there any plans for a sequel to the game? If so, can you share any details at all? Any target release dates in mind?
-Submitted By: Epsilon Jedi & Darth Stringield (Question Combined)

A: It’s definitely too early to say what’s next after The Force Unleashed.

Q #11: Is there anything special you can tell us that nobody else knows about the game yet? Any secrets that you can finally reveal to the public or something surprising you'd love to share with the Star Wars collecting public? We're all ears!
-Submitted By The Yakface.com Staff

A: We definitely don’t want to give away any other major spoilers.  I will say this – through the story of the Force Unleashed you will learn exactly how the Rebellion is started…

Special Thanks To Developers Adam Kahn and Haden Blackmann for arranging this Q & A! We look forward to bringing you more YAKExclusive Q & A's from LucasArts in the future!

REMEMBER: The Force Unleashed debuts on all major gaming consoles on September 16th, 2008!

May The Force Be With You!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 7, 2008, 05:12 PM »
Thanks for asking those questions. Some nice stuff to whet the appetite.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #97 on: September 8, 2008, 01:17 AM »
So far, it's getting some lukewarm reviews I see/hear...  A friend in the industry actually said not to expect greatness, and that big frequent delays like that are usually a HIGHLY negative sign.  I'm a little cautious now about buying the game right out of the gate.

The story sounds intriguing and that can often be enough for me to overcome other small disappointments in the game, but there really is some negative feeling out there among the industry in regards to this game I guess. 

I can't say the Demo wowed me either...  It's ok, don't get me wrong, but I can't say it floored me by any means either.  I also don't care for the way it controls and I find it somewhat complex really.  moreso than it needs to be.  I dunno...  I'm losing steam on this one right now.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 8, 2008, 11:13 AM »
Less than 8 days....
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 9, 2008, 09:19 AM »
Hard to believe. Without knowing what's going on with the figure, I'm less inclined to pick the game up right away.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 10, 2008, 10:45 AM »
Has anyone come across a review for the Wii version? I've read the ps3/360 reviews where they complain about the combat system. The Wii version is suppost to have a completely different combat system via the wii remote. It probably won't look as nice as the other two but I can live with that. Could the Wii version be the one to get?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2008, 11:25 PM »
I'm gonna make do with the PS2 version of this game for now.  I don't want to plunk the cash down for a new gaming platform just yet.  Hopefully they don't totally compromise the game in order to make it work on the older PS2 platform.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2008, 07:05 PM »
So I put down a pre-order on a PS3 version tonight.  Not much of a pre-order since it comes out tomorrow.

My big question is should I get the PS3 version or get the Wii version.  I probably won't open the PS3 version until I get a few reviews in.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2008, 09:28 PM »
So I was able to get a Wii tonight.  My wife was always against gaming systems, especially since we have young kids.  She doesn't want them sitting inside all the time playing video games.  Anyway, we were at a friend's place this weekend and our boys were playing boxing and bowling and having a blast so I convinced her that we needed to get one.  Thankfully a relative of mine came across one tonight.

I think I'm going to be obligated to now go out tomorrow and pick this up.  We'll have the sports game for the boys and TFU for me!

Anyone know what store is supposed to have the best deal tomorrow?
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2008, 09:34 PM »
Anyone know what store is supposed to have the best deal tomorrow?
"deal" breakdowns
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird