Author Topic: George Lucas in Stormtrooper Disguise.  (Read 104980 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: George Lucas in Stormtrooper Disguise.
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2006, 11:41 AM »
$5.00 is nothing with all the driving around and frustration you'd go through trying to track down this figure if he was some retailer exclusive or something like that. ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 11:42 AM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2006, 12:05 PM »

Still waiting for an answer on whether he is going to be white-mailer boxed OR carded/clamshelled.  That will determine if I can get by with just one of if I'll need 2...  :-\

Considering how they cut corners on the actual figure itself, I would assume that he will be shipped in a white mail order box.

If he were carded, I'm sure Hasbro would make sure you knew.

They wouldn't want to lose the OCD crowd!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2006, 12:11 PM »
Considering how they cut corners on the actual figure itself, I would assume that he will be shipped in a white mail order box.

If he were carded, I'm sure Hasbro would make sure you knew.

I was in the "probably a white-mailer box" crowd until I saw this blurb at BBTS.com a while back:

Anyone heard anything more about how Lucastrooper will be shipped?  I just got this ugly, ugly info from a BBTS e-mail regarding the vTSC Pre-Order that they have on their site:

...and the Lucas Mail-Away should not be missed, it will also be packed in the vintage style packaging.

Ever since BBTS had that on their site and in their newsletter, I've been trying to figure out if it was an error on BBTS's part of if there was something to it...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2006, 12:26 PM »
Tough call, BBTS seemed to get the bounty hunt figure details correct on the cases when everyone else was doubting what they posted.  Of course it remains to be seen if it really proves accurate, but so far the other reports seem to support that Rick had accurate information on the assortments.  Heck Jeff, you've ordered one of each case on that basis alone. 

I'll spring for a couple of Georgetroopers anyway.  I'll probably try for about a dozen biker scouts and half that many sandpeople, that except for one of each will be opened, so getting the required paperwork is no big deal. I do wish they'd offer combined shipping for multiple purchases though.  $4.95 is a wee tad steep too, mostly the handling aspect I'd suggest.  You can send a small mailer to Canada for under $3 so domestic that rate is absurd. 

Does the notion of this being run out of Bozeman bother anyone else?  It's a great college town and all, with great skiing around, but Bozeman?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2006, 12:31 PM »
But, from what I read from the details, you need tabs from each figure, so buying multiple of one figure won' t work. You'll have to buy multiple of figs you might not want, in order to redeem multiple GL troopers  ???

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2006, 01:24 PM »
 :-[

Really?  Oh screw it then, I'll be getting just one.  Man, that's simply assinine as a strategy.  I was assuming it was a fairly generic tab or POP that you'd take and include. Aside from the two army builders I can't see myself wanting to open multiples of any of the others.  I could push myself for Han and Luke I suppose, but Greedo?  Custom fodder at $12 per?  I suppose too you'd have to open multiple Lukes anyway just to get at the paperwork. 

Hmm, this does stink.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2006, 01:46 PM »
All it is to me is an effort on their part to make sure you buy each figure and they get another $5 out of you.  Honestly I am more concerned with actually getting the figure in the mail.  I can just see one of their people mishandling the tabs or check and saying "Well this dude did not include everything.  He ain't gonna get one." 

Plus it's just odd to begin with.  Here's your "free" figure for $5.00.  Yeah thanks. 

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2006, 02:23 PM »
After the fiasco that was the Early Bird kit (clearance fodder) last year, I'm surprised that Hasbro is even doing another mail in promo.

SilverZ

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2006, 02:23 PM »
Each other figure includes a tab you must affix to the order form.

If the tabs in the other figures are generic, then I'm not too annoyed. Taken advantage of? Yes. Annoyed beyond my normal expectations from Hasbro of late? No.

I hope they confirm the mailer box or card soon.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2006, 08:00 PM »
Ok, I looked all over the package of the Tusken I opened and it looks like the Bar code has the dotted "cut here" lines around it without actually saying so.  My wife has the camera with her, but when she gets back I will try to take a photo.  Obviously since mine was not intended for retail, it may not be correct, but I saw no other "Tab".  The bar code is on the insert, so theoretically the Mint on Card guys could easily get the tape off the sides, xacto the Bar Code off, re-seal and nobody would even know..

The bar code does list "Tusken Raider" under it if that matters.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2006, 08:59 PM »
There is a way to beat the system.

Buy all the biker scouts & sand people for army building you want.
But save 5 insert from those openers.

Buy the other figures you need but not necessarily want. Now you have the inserts you need for the offer.

Switch the inserts and return the unwanted goods.

Pretty sneaky sis'  :P

« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 06:36 AM by jedijaybird »

Offline stormtripper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2006, 01:24 AM »
I said it once i will say it again, for this figure to do anything useful for me, it would have to be 2 - ply. I hope that everyone else that wants it though, enjoys it. :o

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2006, 03:10 AM »
The $5 shipping cost to me points out that it's packaged on a vintage style card, likely with a poor Photoshop job of Lucas' head on Mark Hamill's body.

I don't want to get two, so I guess I'll just go with one.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2006, 06:45 PM »
There is a way to beat the system.

Buy all the biker scouts & sand people for army building you want.
But save 5 insert from those openers.

Buy the other figures you need but not necessarily want. Now you have the inserts you need for the offer.

Switch the inserts and return the unwanted goods.

Pretty sneaky sis'  :P

Yeah, but then you're screwing over others that are trying to get the GeorgeTrooper too.   :-\

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2006, 06:58 PM »
Yeah, i know.. I wasn't saying that I'd do it, just that there is away for the unscrupulous folks out there to to get around the system.