Author Topic: "Other" Kubricks and Minimates (Non SW)  (Read 217540 times)

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
Re: Kubricks and Minimates
« Reply #300 on: May 19, 2004, 02:25 PM »
They're so small, it seems like wanting "them all" is even more tempting. :P

That's what's hooking me; the size. I'm not even a Marvel fan and I'm collecting them, variants and all. Between this line and AA's upcoming DC Comics "C3" sets, it's Mego all over again!
Post sober.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #301 on: May 19, 2004, 03:57 PM »
For Beth

http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=3012468

Looks like it will be available soon ;)

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 19, 2004, 04:03 PM »
Beth might be interested in this post from "TowerRecords.com" over on the AA boards:

"Currently we are expecting our Super Skrull / Thing 2 Pack to arrive in stores and online mid-August. We are trying to express a limited number of them to offer at our Tower booth at the San Diego Comic Con in July. We will also have a limited amount of our exclusive LOTR Sauron Mini-Mate available at the booth as well.

We will make it available on the 25th of this month to coincide with the DVD release. Online will only be able to offer the figure at $2.99 with purchase of the DVD or $6.99 as a single item.

We will be offering the figure FREE on the first day of the DVD release at our brick 'n mortar stores across the country. Our apologies for not being able to offer the same online. After that, you can purchase the figure for $6.99 or with the DVD for $2.99 while supplies last.

Pre-Orders for figures is something that I continually push for but currently, we will not be doing pre-orders for the LOTR Sauron Mini-Mate figure online. Sorry. It will be made for purchase online on the 25th and there are no limits."

Good deal on that Sauron Minimate, and I can't wait for August to get that Super Skrull & Thing 2-pack.  ;D
Post sober.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #303 on: May 19, 2004, 04:07 PM »
Agreed on both counts...although I am not overlythrilled by the scale of the LOTR figs...if I read the latest Toyfare correctly the Hobbits are the same scale as the Marvel and DC figs while the humans are bigger and then there is an even larger scale for Sauron.

Why not make the Humans a new scale and have the Hobbits be smaller and Sauron be the old 3" scale?  I might not buy these anymore and it is one more reason make mine Kubrick

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 19, 2004, 07:09 PM »
As I understand it, the Hobbits use the 2-inch Marvel bodies. Humans will use a new 2 1/2" body style, while the rest will use the 3-inch Trek body. The only reason Sauron will measure up to 4 inches is due to his headgear, not the body style.
Post sober.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #305 on: May 19, 2004, 07:27 PM »
But again, why change the human scale?  It makes my lifelong dream of having Captain America squaring off against Saruman a continued pipedream instead of a soon to be reality

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 19, 2004, 10:13 PM »
I understand and share your frustration, but AA was faced with a few options.

- They could have made the humans the same 2-inch scale as the Marvel Minimates, but then they'd be faced with the engineering nightmare of creating an even SMALLER scale body for Hobbits. I can't picture 14 points of articulation on a 1 1/2-inch body. The 2-inch body suffers enough from a reduced scale.

- They could have made the humans the same 3-inch scale as the Trek (or other pre-Marvel) Minimates, and used the 2-inch body for Hobbits, but then they'd have to develop a larger body for the bigger characters like the Uruk Hai and Sauron. That might have been cost prohibitive.

- Or they could have ignored the scale altogether and just done humans and Hobbits with the 2-inch body. That would piss off everyone.

I think AA's counting on LOTR/block figure fans to pick up this line, not guys like us who want to pit Wolverine against Uruk Hai in a mini-brawl to end it all.

Honestly, I don't think a line like Lord of the Rings works very well in this category or any other where common bodies are used for various characters. Can you imagine Mego getting this license back in the day but only offering the human-sized characters because they only had one body scale?
Post sober.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #307 on: May 20, 2004, 09:10 AM »
Awesome deal with the movie. Too bad I am waiting for the Extended Edition, better off anyway. I can't afford to start buying LOTR minimates too.

No one answered my question about a Crow Kubrick so its safe to guess there isnt one. :( I actually woudl really love one with Guitar and little crow. That would rock.

Alright, a while back I asked about the Mad Capsule Market Kubricks. Well I finally got to taking a picture of them. I am not sure how to post a picture. If I e-mail it or PM it to someone could they do it for me?

« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 01:53 PM by evenflow »
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 21, 2004, 01:07 PM »
I got these in the mail today from HLJ. They are Thunderbirds Mega Blocks by Bandai. They have been showing up on eBay.

Thunderbird 1.

Thunderbird 2.

Thunderbird 3.

They come in a tin box. There neat & no strings attached!  :D

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: May 21, 2004, 01:59 PM »
Thunderbirds :o  Wow, those are cool.  

I have a couple of plastic thunderbird ships due to head onto ebay at some point in the not too distant future.  Ironically they are the ships pictured in the first and last boxes.  Cool.

Got any references for the historical aspect of Thunderbirds?  I remember playing with the toys, but not where they originated from or their significance.  I'm too young :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 21, 2004, 02:14 PM »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 21, 2004, 03:37 PM »
Here you go evenflow.  ;)  Hey, that rhymes.  ;D

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #312 on: May 21, 2004, 03:45 PM »
Here you go evenflow.  ;)  Hey, that rhymes.  ;D

Thank You Very Much

Ok so this is the set I was talking about a while back. It is from Medicom and they are Kubricks of the Mad Capsule Markets. Any info would be greatly appreciated. They were mentioned in an issue of toyfare in the Kubricks you will never own section. The box set wasn't mentioned exactly, just a single Cyborge figure. I was wondering if anyone knew how much thes emay be worth and how rare it is. Thanks in advance.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 21, 2004, 03:59 PM »
After posting the picture for ya, I did a little search again & low & behold, thats French for high & behind.  ;D

Medicom Toy Kubrick Mad Capsule Markets Giftset

Spanky has one on his site red & black box too. A quick conversion of 14,490.00 JPY = $129.083 USD.

www.spanky.co.jp

What there background is I have no idea.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #314 on: May 21, 2004, 07:18 PM »
Thank You for the info once again. Awesome! Its a cool item. I am just glad to see some more info on it.