Author Topic: Imperial Forces 4-Pack  (Read 3555 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Imperial Forces 4-Pack
« on: May 28, 2003, 03:17 PM »
While travelling over the long weekend I happened upon a few of these four packs at a TRU in the middle of Indiana. It was the first new thing I've found in a store this year, and I bought a couple.

This morning I've had the opportunity to open one, and it passes the Muftak Test with room to spare.

These come with four figures (that's why it's a four pack) that are essentially new and unique, and yet rely on the cutting-edge of rehash technology. Some mini-reviews:

Darth Vader: He's the POTJ Emperor's Wrath Vader, minus the lightning effects and see-thru helmet. I wonder if the skull is still in there? Overall, a great "vanilla" ROTJ Vader with removable right hand and removable cape. Grade: A

Stormtrooper: The stormtrooper is a clean version of the POTJ Sandtrooper, including a slot in his back that you could stick a backpack into. The missing pauldron shows off the only real flaw: he's got a skinny white neck. Interestingly, they gave this figure Commtech Stormie legs, meaning he's a bit more posable than the Sandtrooper, and he looks great among your army builder stormies. Grade: A-

AT-ST Driver: A clever assembly of old parts cobbled together to make a new figure. This is what all rehashes should aspire to. He's simply a re-decoed POTJ Imperial Officer body, the POTJ Rebel Fleet Trooper head, and a (permanently attatched) AT-ST Driver helmet from last years Accessory Set. He looks really good, Hasbro deserves some real credit for finally making a decent rehash! If this figure has a negative, it's sloppy painting, a couple of the ones I saw had goofy faces, so choose carefully! Grade: A

R4-I9: An imperial droid his paintjob is his most striking feature, even my girlfriend in the store said, "Ooh--an evil R2-D2!" He's the same sculpt asl ast year's POTJ R4. The astromech sculpt has arguably been perfected, and it's always nice to get another deco. Grade: A

But the figures are really only half the set. Hasbro really took this set to the ultimate by including enough accessories to make a kid want to play with these guys. Vader's lightsaber, an E-Web Cannon, a Mouse Droid, an Interragator Droid, two (POTF2-era) Imperial blasters, two rifles, a rifle rack, four of their oval-shaped stands, and even a spare misslile for the cannon (c'mon, now you can fire it without worrying if you lose it!) This set was made with playing in mind. Everything clicks--both the troopers can man the cannon (even Vader can!) collector's have their stands, everything seems to have been thought of. The only thing I could suggest would be a backpack to fit in the Stormtrooper's obvious slot, but that's just from a "playing with" standpoint. It's priced at 19.99, very competitive considering all the stuff included. Overall Grade: A

I can't recommend this set enough, if you see one grab it!!

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: Imperial Forces 4-Pack
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2003, 03:22 PM »
I picked up one of these for myself and Dale (DSJ), and I absolutely love it.  Obviously I didn't open it because I'm not an opener, but these figures look great!  My favorite is that AT-ST Driver.  My biggest want in any Imperial soldier is to be able to stand in the "attention" position, and this AT-ST Driver is perfect.  Hopefully Hasbro will make more soldiers that look like that.

My grad for this... A
dustrho

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2003, 03:25 PM »
Stormtrooper: The stormtrooper is a clean version of the POTJ Sandtrooper, including a slot in his back that you could stick a backpack into. The missing pauldron shows off the only real flaw: he's got a skinny white neck. Interestingly, they gave this figure Commtech Stormie legs, meaning he's a bit more posable than the Sandtrooper, and he looks great among your army builder stormies. Grade: A-

This one has bendable knees?  Cool, I wasn't expecting that.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2003, 05:17 PM »
Yeah these sets are hitting all the TRUs in Indy.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 1, 2003, 08:03 AM »
I bought two of these sets last night.  Pretty cool.  I'm quite fond of the whole set, to be honest.  While I know that every single thing in this set is a kit bash, for an Army builder like me, it's not bad.

The only thing approaching a gripe that I have is the finish of the figures.  It just feels a little less smooth than normal.  It was most noticeable on the Stormtrooper.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #5 on: June 1, 2003, 01:10 PM »
For an army builder set I wish they hadn't put the Darth Vader in there.  Do we really need another one of him?  Why couldn't they have put a Death Star Gunner or TIE Fighter Pilot or something else in there instead of Darth Vader?  I just don't get it.

Otherwise I like my set.  Only could afford one of them, and of course it's staying unopened.
dustrho