Author Topic: Most hours you've worked in a week...  (Read 3720 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Most hours you've worked in a week...
« on: August 8, 2006, 12:01 AM »
I'm sitting at my desk at 11:00 on a monday, expecting to stay through the night and I decided to add it up... by the time morning hits I'll have worked 94 hours in the last 8 days.

So, it made me curious, what's the most you've ever had to work?

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
Re: Most hours you've worked in a week...
« Reply #1 on: August 8, 2006, 12:07 AM »
Ive had to work 54 hours in a week. I thought that was bad but 94 hours? Yuck.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 8, 2006, 12:12 AM »
It's been a long time since I had a week like that.  I'd have to go back into my late teens or early twenties I'd think, when I was working three jobs at the same time, one of them full time, two part time. 

The full time job was tennis court maintenance dude and we worked odd shifts, either 6-3 or 2-11.  We got an hour for lunch, so it worked out ok. 

The part time job was bussing tables just before I started bartending, but I was doing that as much as possible.  The other part time job was working at a brewery on the bottling line and it was a hideous shift - 2 am until 11 am. 

There were quite a few shifts where I had some overlap and was actually being paid at two jobs at the same time.  There were also two instances where I worked better than 24 hours in a 24 hour period because of that. 

But 90 hours or so seems right to my faded memory.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 8, 2006, 12:15 AM »
This goes back just over 25 years ago when I was a wage worm. One of the guys was going on vacation for 2 weeks & I was asked if I wanted to work overtime, I had no vacation time so what the hell so I did. 80 hrs. for the week & 160 hrs. for the 10 days. By the mid 2nd week I was feeling it & on the last day I was fried!

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #4 on: August 8, 2006, 01:01 AM »
I worked two full time jobs at one point from May 1996 through January 1997.  One was generally 42-45 while the other was 40.  Just about drove me insane.  Most weekdays I'd go to work at 5:30 in the morning, leave at 2:30, go home, change, rest for a little bit, then go to work from 4:00-11:00 or 12:00. I usually had one day off at the night job and would generally leave at 8:00 on Fridays.  Then I'd work 10am-8pm on Saturdays and 4pm-12pm on Sundays.  The paychecks seemed nice at the time, but considering I was making $6.60-$7.50 an hour at each it's absolutely crazy in retrospect. 

I worked 50-55 hours a week for 16 months at a ****** car rental joint, which also took its toll.

Now, I work 37.5 hours per week, rarely work a minute more than that, and make more money than any other job I've had.  Life is good.  :)

John

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 8, 2006, 01:01 AM »
56 hours.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 8, 2006, 09:47 AM »
I've pulled an 88 hour work week once. My boss was none too pleased to pay the OT.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #7 on: August 8, 2006, 10:54 AM »
I work 52.5 hour weeks at least 3 or 4 times a year to cover for vacation time for one of my coworkers.  But usually it's 37.5.

I couldn't give an exact number of hours, but there was a week in college when I was working 2 full-time summer jobs in addition to taking a class.  I was transferring from one job to another, so for a couple days I'd work 3pm-11pm at Shoney's, then midnight-8am at a sandwich shop, then go to class from 9am-noon.  Those were some rough days.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: August 8, 2006, 11:18 AM »
Just this last June I worked 7 straight 14 hour days 7AM to 9PM Saturday to Saturday...oh and did I say I was salaried?  Yeah >:(

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 8, 2006, 11:22 AM »
'Worked' 93 hours when I deployed for war. 6 days/1 off. I am salary military pay though ::)

Before I got into the service I worked 80 hour weeks a couple times during 'inventory week'  in an automotive parts wherehouse. It was alot of time and a half, yum ;).

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 8, 2006, 11:38 AM »
Over Columbus Day weekend of '04  put in 44 hours over the three days, 20 of them on Saturday into Sunday.  Salary can suck sometimes.

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 8, 2006, 11:39 AM »
The most I've worked in a week is 102 hours, but a big chunk of that was 31 straight during a software implementation. Salaried of course  >:(

Now that all my big implementations are done, I try to keep each week as close to 40 as possible.

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 8, 2006, 12:05 PM »
My first job out of college was at a chemical lab, and I remember working weeks straight of up to 12-13 hours a day (probably more) just because we were overbooked with expiring samples and rushwork. I was salaried (and low salary at that), but I don't remember minding it at all since I was unfettered by any wife/girlfriend, kids, or even collecting (1992).

Never again.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 8, 2006, 12:37 PM »
I worked 86 hours one week when I was at Frito-Lay working on the potato chip production line. 

It was a motivator to go to (stay in) school and do other things, I'll tell you that much.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 8, 2006, 06:18 PM »
Well it's over.  I've been given the opportunity to come in tomorrow at noon.

I'm salaried as well - but I was fortunate enough that they hired me as a freelancer for the evenings because I was bascialy double booked on two separate jobs and they were going to farm one of them out but they couldn't find anyone (they generally don't like hiring their own employees...).

Today is the first day since last wednesday I'm not staying late.

At least I got paid pretty well.