Author Topic: Most hours you've worked in a week...  (Read 3719 times)

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
Re: Most hours you've worked in a week...
« Reply #15 on: August 8, 2006, 06:21 PM »
we had an incentive program at work for a while where if you added a night shift you got $25 extra dollars and if you added a morning or afternoon you got $10 extra bucks.  we had quite a few people working 100+ hours during that time.  i think i only worked about 80.  i have worked in the 70's several times, and worked for 36 hours straight but never did go for it and add every single possible shift.

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 8, 2006, 06:47 PM »
Well, I don't have much to speak for yet...When I was working part time I had a 40 hour week...which was actually great for me, but more than a few hours over the budgeted limit. ::)

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 9, 2006, 11:54 AM »
I've done a few 55-70 weeks. The worst was when I was Assistant Managing a music store. My Boss left for vacation on Saturday, that same night I was in a bad car accident and had a severe concussion. I had to work the rest of that week open to close, alot of it by myself with no one else in the store. That was hands down one of the worst weeks of my life...

Offline MistaBinks

• Youngling
  • Stand up to cancer.
    • View Profile
    • Y2Chaos
« Reply #18 on: August 9, 2006, 02:09 PM »
96 hours. I worked four 24 hours shifts in one week.

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #19 on: August 9, 2006, 02:16 PM »
I know I've worked a couple of 100+ hour weeks, both containing 48 (or more) hour "days" where I was working without sleep.  This is back when I used to do tech work for events and I had to babysit the setup. That's a 7 day week though, not a 5 day....and those circumstances were rare.

Longest stretch I ever worked was 56 hours, over which I got about an hour and a half of sleep.  I started Weds morning at around 9am or so and didn't finish until Friday afternoon. 

Prior to that job, the most I probably ever worked and was paid for as an hourly employee was maybe 80 or 90 hour weeks, again...all 7 days.

Got Clones?

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 9, 2006, 02:23 PM »
I just went through my journal -- the most I "worked" was when my son was born.  He was up every 2 to 3 hours at night and rarely napped for the first 10 months.  I averaged 18-20 hour days/7 days a week -126/140 hours. :P
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #21 on: August 9, 2006, 02:52 PM »
Oooh. There's a tough one to debate.

Does personal life count as work?  I think not (probably why you put it in quotes) but if not, the week I got married was probably the most hours I ever worked.  I got very little sleep at all and with the hundreds of things I had to take care of leading up to the big day, it sure felt like I was working.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 9, 2006, 02:53 PM by JoshEEE »
Got Clones?

Offline Dr. Zoltar

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 9, 2006, 06:55 PM »
Hmmmm....I can't remember the exact hours I worked, but back in college I worked as a manger of a tuxedo rental store.  Come prom season I had to put in 12 hour days (it was grad school so my class hours were flexible).  Some days I'd start at 10 am and not leave until 10 pm.  All day long was taking orders and measuring people for tuxedos.

The longest stretch I've worked without a break is 10 days.  By day 7 you get a little loopy.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2006, 03:18 AM »
There were more than several occasions where I put in between 110 to 125 hours in one work week (including the weekend), when some of our audits were up against a serious deadline, and the partners at our firm were about to tear us a new one if the **** didn't get finished on time.  16+ hour days, and sometimes several all-nighters in a week.  I actually used to keep a pillow under my desk so I could lay down for quick catnaps in the middle of the night sometimes.  Pretty disgusting really, and one of the reasons I finally wound up bailing on that gig last year (not to mention the 1 to 1.5 hour 19 mile commute in both directions)...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 03:20 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Darth Jaxx

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • POTF2.com
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2006, 06:40 PM »
Just over a month ago, I did 3 weeks on a Navy ship while it was at sea.
I get paid for 16 hours a day while at sea. I'm a contractor for the US Government.
There is nothing else to do on the ship EXCEPT work... so we worked every day.
The job was scheduled for 4 weeks, but we finished in 3 weeks.

At 112 hours a week for 3 weeks... I was pretty damn happy with my paycheck when it came in!

But I wouldn't want to do it again anytime soon.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2006, 09:25 PM »
This past week was 50+ hours.  But the most in one week?  78 hours IIRC.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback