Author Topic: Jedi_Master_Ben's Wax Shop  (Read 46470 times)

Offline Sarge

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Sarge's Customs
Re: Jedi_Master_Ben's Wax Shop
« Reply #105 on: December 25, 2006, 11:02 AM »
OK, Ben... now place all these in a box and drive them over here to Hinesville.  ;D

Excellent work as always. Hope to add a few of these to my future projects.

Mike
"A great warrior, you say? Wars do not make one great." Master Yoda, TESB

www.sarges-customs.com

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 25, 2006, 11:58 PM »
 :o :o :o :o How much do you charge for these? I would be interested for my army of Jedi ;D
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2006, 06:41 PM »
WOW, WOW, WOW! I know I've given you compliments before, but I think you're outdoing yourself.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2006, 09:46 AM »
I'm so sad. All of your stuff at GTG is sold out. Any idea when Yarna D'al Gargan and Hoover will be for sale?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline IshiTib

• Jedi Initiate
  • The actual avatar is my newest figure:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 30, 2006, 07:41 AM »
yarna looks so great :D
Sorry for my bad English, i am German.

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
    • Jedi Master Ben's Custom Galaxy
« Reply #110 on: January 29, 2007, 08:06 AM »
Hey Everyone,

I have not posted here for a while so I thought I will update you all with 2 finished sculpted figures. Here is the first one, the Alien Thug 3 wax sculpt. ;D I am really proud of how it turned out. I finished this one on 31-DEC-06. Here is the breakdown on how he was made. I did a clay impression mold of the POTF2 Klatuu head and hands and the vintage Wooof helmet. I made a one time resin cast of these parts and used supper sculpty to fill in any gaps between the the face and the helmet. I also made sure that the head was ball-jointed to match the current Saga line. The rest of the body was sculpted. I then made a mold of the body and of the head (not the hands) and made a wax cast. From here I tooled the 12 points of articulation. I did an extensive study of the Saga design figures to make sure I had the articulation correct. After I had the articulation down, then I refined the details. I use this technique for the Alien Thug 2 as well. I got a lot of pics of him and I am also following my friend Sith_Fire30 photo method and bring you grey scale images to help bring the details out more. So enjoy the pics and let me know what you think.

Up next is the Alien Thug 2. I accually would have finished  him earlier today if it wasn't for the errors I caught in the sculpt. It so happens that I was watching the ROTJ DVD looking up reference material for Alien Thug 1 when I caught the jacket details on Thug 2 were wrong. I had to change the jacket, shoulder sleeves and collor. I am glad I took the time to do this now or it would have bugged me later on. In addition to the costume rework, I touched up the head by accenting the skin folds and vines, deffine the eyes, correct the details that were missing from the POTF2 head and cleaned up excess wax between the bandana and the back of the head. The head has alot more freedom to move compared to the POTF2 model. Now for the part that you all are waiting for, the pictures.

And as I did for the Alien Thug 3, here are some Grey Scale pics to help show off the details.

I might do some more tweaking here and there as I spot stuff I missed, (taking pictures help me look at my sculpts differently and I can spot things I want to fix after studing the photos) also feed back from you all help me to find those things I missed. But overall, I am happy with the way it turned. I have one more left to touch up now so it is back to work. See you all later.

Jedi_Master_Ben
"When I first started, I was just a learner. Now I Am The Master Sculptor!" - Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 29, 2007, 10:02 AM »
you did barada (thug 2) pretty well! klaatu (thug 1) also is very nice. great work!
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Glassman6

• Jedi Padawan
  • Hey...Its Me!
    • View Profile
    • Glassman's Customs
« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2007, 01:27 PM »
These look fantastic Ben. Very nice sculpting indeed. Are you making these availible from GTG?
I'm sure they will go like hotcakes!!!

Excelent work.

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2007, 03:48 PM »
 :o :o :o No Doubt about that!! 8)Awesome work man!!
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2007, 05:44 PM »
Hey everyone,

Well I hope everyone is enjoying the pics and reports that are comming in from Toyfare '07. I have for you today the finished sculpt on the Alien Thug #1. Here is a breakdown on what I did for him. I first reworked the face and head gear. Alot of detail was lost during the impression molding I did on both the Vintiage and POTF2 heads. I then rounded the back and sides of the head near the neck so that the head had more movement on the ball-joint neck. I also longated the face spikes a little and made the eyes more pomident. I also added some additional cloth detail between the face and the helmet. It helped masked the gap between the fussion of both pieces. In addition, the refernce photos I have show the same thing, so it is more accurite to the costume in the movie. Speak of which, I could only find one refernce photo of this guy and it is he same picture that was used on the vintage card. Even the chronicle book did not have this guys photo, imagine that. Anyways, The torsol was touched up a little following the example of both the vintage figure and the reference photo.  I followed the vintage figure wrinkle pattern and gave an additional lace so it has 4 instead 3 on the shirt.Since there are no shots of this guy from the back (other than the movie) I had to rely on the figure and guessing. The arms again are modeled after the vintage figure with modification for articulation. The hand is the same resin cast hand from the impression mold with extra wax to fill in either missing fingers or air bubbles. The shirt tails is model after the vintage figure with the addition of a leather strap that goes from the belt buckel to the back pouches. I caught this detail while watching the movie and studing the reference photo. Now the legs were very interesting and a pain in the butt. Both the reference photo and the vintage figure show signs that the knees are at the quilted part of the pants. This ment I had to cut the quilted pattern to make the knees. Once I had the knees done, it was a matter of rounding the edges in the quilted pattern to finish the effect. I finnished the detail work with filling in air bubble in the shoes and scribing the strap details into the shoes.

Now for the part you all are waiting for, the pictures. I have the four profile shots in color and also more angles in grey scale to show off more of the details.

Well another figure completed. I am really getting a hang on making the SA style figures. I started working on the Alien pilot a few days ago so I should have something for you all next week. Thanks again for stopping by and don't forget to leave a comment on the way out. I love to read what you all have to say.

Until next time,

Jedi_Master_Ben
"When I first started, I was just a learner. Now I Am The Master Sculptor!" - Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
Good To Go Customs Restock (13-FEB-07)
« Reply #115 on: February 13, 2007, 07:57 PM »
GTG had a restock a few days ago. A big portion was the alien heads. Head on over there before they are all gone.

Jedi_Master_Ben

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2007, 12:59 PM »
I need to visit this section of the forum more often. These are amazing. I need that Yarna and Hoover. I have made my own customs but those are amazing. Are they still available?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 01:13 PM by evenflow »
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2007, 04:18 PM »
These are great.  Your work is fantastic.  However, please don't get busted by LFL for selling these.  They are not your "intellectual property."  Best of luck.---Mike
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline richalot

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • RichAlot.com
« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2007, 09:51 PM »
Wow... those look amazing! Great attention to the detail and use of super articulation. Would love to have these in my collection. Any tips or hints on sculpting with wax. Seems like you picked it up really quickly and are producing some quality work.
>>] Rich [<<
www.richalot.com
WANTED: Vintage figure and vehicle parts & pieces for customizing. Try me - no damage is too damaged!

Offline Jedi_Master_Ben

• Jedi Initiate
  • Now I am the Master!
    • View Profile
Female Wookie Project
« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2007, 10:10 AM »
HeyEveryone,

I just got in a donor VOTC Chewie from Hawkeye for another project (think Sithfire's K'Kruhk custom). After I boiled and popped the feet, I reallized I had an oppertunity to study the design. Here is a pic:

The head seems to hold everything in place, so popping the head allowed me to break down the torsol. I then tried on the female Alien Head #12 on the neck post and saw that it did not fit. I retooled it so it could fit on the neck post and shoulders. I then notice that I had an opertunity to make a mini cutsom kit by changing the chest from male to female. In the process, I notice that Chewie's midsection was too straight on the sides and his belly extended out. I made a new section that gave her an hourglass figure of sorts (what I can get away with in all that fur). This is what I came up with:

Because I used wax on the torsol, I could not put back on the arms for the photos, but I held them in place while I was working on her and they look fine. She really looks slim and danty next to one of those hulking Wookies from ep3. I am happy at the way this turned out. As seen in the last picture, the kit includes three pieces, head, chest and mid section.

I hope this something that you all can use. I still rember when SW Galaxies was reviewed by X-Play and Morgan Webb made a female wookie character to test the game, and showed the dancing wookie. Well now the wookies can dance and do what ever you want. So dance wookie, dance your heart out.

Jedi_Master_Ben