Author Topic: Customs by Sith's Herald - Updated Jan. 2012  (Read 81313 times)

Offline Siths Herald

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sith Happens.
    • View Profile
    • The Minnesota Force
Re: Customs by Sith's Herald
« Reply #30 on: March 6, 2007, 08:47 AM »
Thanks!  And yeah, that's a Mace head.  To bad I couldn't find a Travolta head for the other one.
The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

Offline Siths Herald

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sith Happens.
    • View Profile
    • The Minnesota Force
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2007, 09:55 AM »
Here's some new ones.  Enjoy and let me know what you think.

The first is a Ssi-Ruuk soldier, complete with his paddlebeamer. 

This one is an as yet unnamed Ewok Warrior.  He's a good fighter, but the poor little guy's fur pattern keeps him from earning a lot of respect...

This is Mara Jade-Skywalker as a StealthX pilot after the Yuuzahn Vong war.

This is a Dathomir Force Witch from the Singing Mountain Clan, along with her Rancor mount.
"I'd let her ride my Rancor!" - Han Solo - The Courtship of Princess Leia

This is an "Ugly" starfighter I am working on.  It is still a work in progress. Because of this, I've named this ship the WIP.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 09:55 AM by Siths Herald »
The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2007, 10:00 AM »
Nice Stuff Steve! The Ewok is great as is the Force Witch with Rancor - nice use of the Elizabeth Swann from POTC:AWE figure. Very cool.

What did you use for the feather on Skunky the Ewok Warrior?
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Siths Herald

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sith Happens.
    • View Profile
    • The Minnesota Force
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2007, 10:13 AM »
Thanks Jay!  I had some extra vintage Logray staffs.  I cut the feathers off of them.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2007, 11:27 AM »
Very nice stuff there. You need to send in that ship and the Dathomir Force Witch in for the UGP diorama!
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline bocrebjedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Gonk. Gonk. Gonk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2007, 01:38 PM »
Very nice stuff Steve.  The WIP is coming along nicely.  I like the pit droid that's included in it.  I also like the Dathomir witch, it looks great along with the Rancor.  How's the TIE Trainer coming along?   ;)

We'll have to get together again this summer to do some customizing.  What about at CON in July?  I'm trying to do some casting again. 

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2007, 03:28 PM »
Cool Stuff and a nice job on all! Keep up the good work!
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2007, 07:10 PM »
ice customs. I like the baby dinosaur with the cool gun thingy, hes very neat. I also like the ship with the pit droid in it (I love pit droids!!!)
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline JangoTat

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2007, 07:33 PM »
i am not going to lie these are all good. keep it up, the ship is my favourite so far.
School has been on strike all month. so much for the summer job I was hoping to get D:

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2007, 02:35 PM »
Wow, what a pleasure to see your updates S_H!

Quite daring of you making that Ssi-Ruuk soldier. Those are from the Truce at Bakura, right? I'm not familiar with their species, but he/she looks great. Did you paint the entire Ssi-Ruuk, or just parts? It's hard to tell!

Unkown Ewok looks cool in my book! Once again, a great "furry" figure by you. Great addons to his hood and spear.

Mara looks hot in that pilot's suit. Hm, she looks hot in any suit, but that aside, she's also a beatiful addition to your immense collection of customs.

The 2nd Omega Clone is most welcome, I think, right? And glad to see Kal's already looking out after them. Nice portrayal of that old gun-for-hire. The head fits Kal's appearance well, I think, but it seems a tad too big for the body :) The colour scheme is very cool and the emblem on his left shoulder looks very sharp. Great job!

If you don't mind asking me, could you tell me how you go about painting furry characters, like Ewoks and Wookiees? I glanced at your excellent Wookiee warriors again, and would like the same effect on a Wookiee I'm working on.

Offline Siths Herald

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sith Happens.
    • View Profile
    • The Minnesota Force
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2007, 08:41 AM »
Hi Incom,

Thanks for the comments.  I painted all of the Ssi Ruuk (except the eyes), added the shoulder pauldron, paddlebeamer and 'nose tongues' (ewe...).  It started out as a velociraptor from JP2.  He's a little front heavy now with the pauldron and weapon so I actually had to glue him to the base until I get a chance to go back an put in peg holes.

I think part of the proportions on Skirata are a result of camera angle.  It looks a little better in person but stll may not be quite right.  That being said, I've seen people with big heads too, so he may be okay.  After reading Triple Zero, that wasn't quite how I was picturing him.  I did see a painting of him, however, that made him look a lot like Ed Harris, so that is kinda what I went for with the figure.

On the furry figures, I use acrylic based paints (usually Testors acrylics).  I start out by making sure the base color is what I want.  If the figure is already the right base color, I usually do a wash with watered down black, and then wipe it off right away.  This gives some depth to the fur.  If it is not the right base color, I paint the figure with an even coat of the color I want.  Once it's dry I may or may not do a wash again, depending on the look I want.   I usually finish the fur by drybrushing a lighter color over the top to give it some highlights.   I do most of it in flat paint.  It you do a gloss base coat with some flat washes and drybrushing, it can give fur a little more shine too.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 08:50 AM by Siths Herald »

Offline Siths Herald

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sith Happens.
    • View Profile
    • The Minnesota Force
Re: Customs by Sith's Herald - New 5/15
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2007, 11:30 AM »
Here are a few others I recently finished.  Let me know what you think.

First is Aristocra Chaf'orm'bintrano (Formbi) of the Chiss Ascendancy.  Aside from Thrawn, Formbi is probably the most noteworthy Chiss in the EU.  I thought he'd make a nice addition to the collection.

Next is Commander Gree.  I repainted him to make him a little more screen accurate (especially the bucket) and added the suspenders.

The next is one Captain Regar.  He's my creation, but I put him as 2nd in command of Gree's Kashyyyk forces.

This is a basic Kashyyyk Clone Trooper.  I just embellished the order 66 clone a bit.

All three Kashyyyk Troopers
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 11:53 AM by Siths Herald »

Offline Siths Herald

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sith Happens.
    • View Profile
    • The Minnesota Force
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2007, 11:39 AM »
We'll have to get together again this summer to do some customizing.  What about at CON in July?  I'm trying to do some casting again. 

That could be a very good use of an otherwise potentially boring Saturday...

Offline bocrebjedi

• Jedi Initiate
  • Gonk. Gonk. Gonk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2007, 02:13 PM »
Nice customs! What is the sash on Formbi from?  The clones look really nice.  Some of your best painting.

Yeah, I'm figuring Saturday could be boring as well.  I think I'll bring some extra GONKs that any newbies could pimp the Gonk.

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2007, 02:58 PM »
S_H, thanks for the info on painting furry characters  8). I'll put it to good use and am well on my way with sculpting extra fur on my Wookiee warrior's head.

Sharp paint work on Formbi, S_H. I'm not familiar with the character, but will look him up at Wookieepedia. The sash looks like a belt of some kind, but I can't quite tell whose belt it is. And to throw in a boring little nitpick: his shoulders stick out a bit  :)

The Kashyyyk troopers look cool. Great paint work on those men, and nice little gadgets too.