Author Topic: JD Fantasy Hockey 2006-07  (Read 34602 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Hockey 2006-07
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2006, 01:11 AM »
While goofing around on Yahoo waiting for the draft, I realized that your Yahoo Sports profile captures all your past Yahoo Fantasy Sports performances.   :o

http://profiles.sports.yahoo.com/jlsmentek

2005 Hockey Champion
2001 Football Champion
2001 Baseball - 2nd Place
2001 Hockey - 2nd Place
2004 Baseball - 3rd Place

That's right - 5 trophies!  I had forgotten all those old 2001 leagues I played in with my buddies...

I've got a 1st place in football, a 1st place in Basketball and a 3rd place in Hockey.  I'm looking to grab a 3rd in Baseball this year and I'm on pace to get a freebie 3rd for Golf.

Not bad considering that I've only been in since 2004.

Oh, and I plan to come up with at least another bronze for this league too.   8)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 02:46 AM by Rob »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2006, 12:10 PM »
Brent what is up with the scoring?  It shows Rotissierie instead of points, is a points based league not an option?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2006, 12:16 PM »
Brent what is up with the scoring?  It shows Rotissierie instead of points, is a points based league not an option?

Lack of attention to detail :-[

It has been corrected, thanks.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2006, 12:17 PM »
That threw me off last night after the draft too but I just assumed I'd missed something, not Brent.

Good to see it fixed.

Also, it's my own fault for not checking and paying enough attention to what you posted as far as scoring or knowing enough about hockey, but I thought Penalty minutes were bad.

G = 1pt
A = 1 pt
GWG = 1 pt (this makes a goal that wins the game worth two overall)
SHG = 1 pt (same here, 2 point goal essentially)
+/- = +1 for +; -1 for - duh.  (I can modify this to 0.5 points if folks want.)
W = 2 points
L = -1 point
SO = 4 points

What did I miss?

Looks like we're getting +1 for a loss right now, should be -1

And I don't see -1 for being -1 on the +/- thing, is that set how it should be?  If it's still up for discussion, I'd be cool with knocking it to -0.5 points for being -1
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 12:30 PM by Rob »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2006, 01:00 PM »
Sorry for the confusion guys. 

Corrected the loss category for goalies.  I'm assuming way too much logic in the yahoo system that isn't there. I'd assumed putting in '1' would result in a negative category (losses) being a negative modifier.  Not so, but I can add in the - for -1 to get it right and have done so.  Thanks for catching that Rob.

I'm not sure post draft we can modify anything beyond my own stupid errors with setting up the league physically.  I know I drafted with the points scheme being as it was, so I'm not keen on reducing stuff. 

Interesting side point: if you've ever tried to figure out how and why the Rank and O-rank differ in yahoo hockey, it's because there's a formula based on the scoring system in place.  And it's awfully close to what we drafted with.  The plus/minus being a goodly chunk of it. 

I calculated the point totals for all the guys down to about 250 players using our scoring scheme and drafted a number of guys that might have otherwise not made sense to some of you where I drafted them last night.  I drafted guys, notably defensemen, with fewer goals and assists but had a good +/- rating so had a better overall total score.  Gonchar is a good example of this.  He's certainly my favorite defender, but playing on Pittsburgh and having a losing record hurts his value making him fairly average.  If we tinker with the +/- stat now, his value goes up. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2006, 01:03 PM »
Since I'm going to be learning how these new categories work as the league progresses, I'm fine with leaving everything how it is now.

I did goof up the penalty minutes thing though - somehow I got it in my head that we'd be losing points for penalty minutes.  Maybe because the word penalty is part of penalty minute.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2006, 03:19 PM »
I can understand that but think of a guy like Bertuzzi, pre-Moore.  It's supposedly a benefit, but the 0.2 point per minute is pretty low.  Last year in the spawn league we had it at 1 per pim and it was nutty.  Goons were as valuable as Jagr.  I think it will be ok anyway as I didn't really go after PIM and I don't think anyone else did.  But I did go after +/-.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2006, 03:41 PM »
I looked over your roster Rob, it won't affect you negatively at all.  You had a good draft.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2006, 04:06 PM »
Good to know.  Thanks.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2006, 06:06 PM »
I was supposed to have Friday night off from work, but my boss didn't tell me about a schedule change.  >:(

Anyway, I'm stoked to have Crosby again.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2006, 12:04 AM »
So yours was autopicking?  Ouch, between you and Rob you guys took about 7-8 guys I was eyeing for the same round. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2006, 12:33 AM »
Gonchar is a good example of this.  He's certainly my favorite defender, but playing on Pittsburgh and having a losing record hurts his value making him fairly average.  If we tinker with the +/- stat now, his value goes up. 

Yeah, I agree.  I passed on him (and a few other D-men) because of nasty +/- ratings.  If they scoring were different, I might have made different picks.

I say we try the +1/-1 thing and if it sucks, well there is always next year.   :P

With the penalty minutes, 0.2 is fine - a nice bonus, but still gives more power/value to offensive guys.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2006, 03:02 AM »
So yours was autopicking?  Ouch, between you and Rob you guys took about 7-8 guys I was eyeing for the same round. 

Oooh Oooh, like who?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2006, 12:32 PM »
Autobot (Jesse):
Phaneuf
Morrow
Savard (I have no idea why he lasted that long anyway)
M. Bell
Lehtonen

Rob:
Elias
Brind'Amour
Rozsival

I'd say I had those guys marked on a piece of paper with the expectation they'd get back to me in the following round.  I can't blame you on Elias, I think he was a steal at that point anyway and I had him marked as take in 4th round before the draft started, but you took him right before >:( ;)

My fault really, I wanted a top tier defenseman but the (mini) run on them started earlier than I expected.  I had no intention of taking Schneider in the second round, but Pronger and Lidstrom were gone already. 

But little auto-draft was really driving me koo-koo.  No way should it have picked Phaneuf, Lehtonen or Bell.  I can only assume Jesse did some pre-ranking because those guys (except Phaneuf) should have been pretty low in the rankings.  Oh well, we'll see what happens. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2006, 12:35 PM »
I wanted a top tier defenseman but the (mini) run on them started earlier than I expected.  I had no intention of taking Schneider in the second round, but Pronger and Lidstrom were gone already. 

If my draft has one glaring hole IMO it's that I skipped out on that run of top defensemen.  We'll see if it kills me or not... there were a few times pike Pitkanen that I was aiming for a guy only to have him be drafted before I picked - then I kept postponing it.  People definitely started taking them a little higher than I thought they would.  Maybe that allowed people who didn't go after them to get better offensive players... who knows.

We'll see if it's the death of me or not... maybe a few weeks in I'm trying to trade for some defensive help.