Author Topic: "Hyperspace" Trailer Debuts Today  (Read 6711 times)

Jango Fettish

"Hyperspace" Trailer Debuts Today
« on: May 30, 2003, 11:05 AM »

The official site debuts the trailer for their new "Pay to Play" service, entitled "Hyperspace" today!

"Hyperspace" is basically a pay service through StarWars.com that grants subscribers access to exclusive online material such as cut scenes, deleted scenes, and lots of extras from the Star Wars Saga.

An exciting, free preview will be running on the official site from June 5th through the 9th, with the pay service debuting on June 10th.

*breaks out of reporter mode*

Can anyone access this? It's been in and out for me, and I don't want to wait to install QuickTime.

Whatcha think..?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2003, 11:07 AM by Jango Fettish »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: "Hyperspace" Trailer Debuts Today
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2003, 11:10 AM »
I watched this morning...I'm a sucker and I'll plunk down the ching to get the access.  If only for access to the LFL Image Still archives and Episode III Spoilers Galore.

I think theforce.net must be pissed beyond all belief though that people will be getting info and scoops straight from the source now and not as much from them and the great fatty at AICN

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2003, 11:31 AM »
Yes, I viewed it.  It's clips of Han in and around the Falcon from the original movies along with the narrator talking about what it actually is.

You get an email address, no pop up ads, avatars and sneak peaks at behind the scene footage (which I thought was cool as I never seen the Jedi take control of the droid ship) and some other stuff.  It never gave the price but did tell you it was available for free from the 5th to the 9th.  

Too bad my subscription to the Insider doesn't get me access to this as I'm not joining but I will look at it during the free period.

Beth

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2003, 12:11 PM »
I just finished watching that trailer and I'm probably going to join it.  How much does it cost?
dustrho

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2003, 06:19 PM »
Makes me ill just thinking about it.  This sucks.  I was fully expecting that Jedi raid on the Droid Control Ship deleted scene to be included with the DVD.  Now we know why it wasn't.  I suppose the deleted footage of more of the ending lightsaber duel scene where Dooku had 2 lightsabers will get thrown onto this site later on as well.   >:(

Hopefully some of these extras will at least get thrown into the Ultimate Star Wars Saga DVD Boxset in 2006.  You just know it's coming!   8)

Haven't heard of any price announced yet dustrho.  I'm sure they'll post it the day after the free trial period ends.  I swear to God if it's more than $10 a year, I'm going to blow chunks on someone!   :-X

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2003, 08:11 PM »
As if Uncle George didn't have enough money already...   >:(

But like I was chatting with Jesse last night about - this is pretty much akin to Hasbro recarding some of their figures, full well knowing that all the carded completists in the world will wind up buying them (again), regardless of how much it might irritate them to "have to" do so...

Makes financial sense for them, sure.  But it just boils down to them taking advantage of the fans once again.  And what really pisses me off, is that they ran that whole poll on whether people would go for a "pay for play" site branched off from the Official Site, and I can virtually guarantee you that the vast majority of the fans said NO WAY!  But they went ahead and did it anyways...

I might sign up if it's under 10 bucks, but somehow I'm doubting it will be.  I just hope the deleted scenes make their way around the net fairly quickly for everyone to enjoy free of cost!  Grant's right, those should've been on the recent AOTC DVD instead.  Ulterior motives by Lucasfilm indeed...

I also find it funny that they're pointing out "No pop-up adds".  Almost like they've deliberately overloaded the Official Site with them, so we'll WANT to go somewhere else.  Those damned things are annoying as hell!

Guess we'll know the rest of the details in a couple of weeks!   :-\
« Last Edit: May 30, 2003, 08:14 PM by JediMAC »

Offline CyberScout

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2003, 10:17 PM »
Personally I feel like I'm being slapped in the face.If this is a success I have to wonder what they will come up with next.Yea,It looks to be pretty good and all but I'll have to wait until the freebie days are upon us before I decide if I want to give up my hard earned cash.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: "Hyperspace" Pay Website
« Reply #7 on: June 2, 2003, 06:40 AM »
So there's been some more details announced on StarWars.com's new Hyperspace pay website, including the official annual fee of $19.95!  Check out the main page for the full story on this potential headache to many Star Wars fans.

TheForce.net ran an exclusive Q & A on the topic (see main page for link), and came up with some other interesting potential pricing options - inlcuding monthly fees, or the possibility of combining your Official Fan Club membership with the Hyperspace paysite, for only $10 more, which sounds slightly more feasible to me.   :-\

We're also running a new poll on our main page here at JediDefender, on whether you plan to sign up and pay for the Hyperspace site, or not.  So swing on by the main page and cast your vote!

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 2, 2003, 10:13 AM »
My biggest concern is that the content is 100% Mac-friendly. I'm not paying full price for half the tour like the DVDs. I'm still bitter that LFL is in bed with InterActual and refuses to find software that's as universal as its fan base. If this "Hyperspace" deal is loaded with ANY PC-only content, count me out.  >:(
Post sober.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #9 on: June 2, 2003, 12:35 PM »
$20.... No way. I'm hoping some of these files will be avaliable over Kaaza.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 2, 2003, 12:47 PM »
Nope, no way I'm parting with more Canadian Pesos for this.  Like Brad, I'm hoping it will make its way to me eventually.  Like Snively up there if the raid and more lightsaber duel footage go up, that is the ultimate in betrayal.  Put the crap on the site along with good stuff, but put out the great, exciting footage with the DVD's.  Those scenes better show up in the 10-box set.   >:(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 2, 2003, 01:11 PM »
This is a great way to divide the community and keep the undesirables where they belong. I feel more elite already knowing so many common folk simply refuse to buy into this site.

But so long as there's something to masturbate to, twenty bucks a year is a steal. (Live webcam in the Twi'leks' changing rooms anyone?)
Post sober.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 2, 2003, 05:44 PM »
No, I'm not going to pay for the service.  Sorry George.  I will throw my money to you when Ep3  comes out and when I buy the figures and DVD, etc.  I just don't feel like paying money for something I will undoubtedly get on a DVD in the future.  If it's not release on the DVD oh well my loss.  I just think it's a massive ripoff no matter how they try and spin it.  

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2003, 11:37 PM »
We're officially into PAY time now on the Hyperspace site.  So who all forked over some more money for Uncle George?  Come on now, admit it!  I know some of you did!  I'm probably going to tack it onto my Fan Club membership the next time I renew, since you get it for half price.

So of the people who did sign up and pay, do they have the Jedi Raid scene available yet?  I'm guessing not, since I haven't seen any mention of it around the net yet, though it looks like StarWars.com is advertising it as being ready to go.  What's the deal?  Anyone seen it yet?  We want details!

Well that's weird.  The Jedi Raid picture from the official site doesn't show up.  Guess you have to head over there to check it out for yourself.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2003, 11:38 PM by Snively Bandar »

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2003, 12:02 PM »
I'd like to know who has joined up for this thing.  I was going to at first, but the more I started thinking about, the more I think that I'm not going to do it.  Why should we have to pay $20 to see something like this?
dustrho