Personally I'm not a fan. Now don't take it the wrong way, I'm just not into them myself. For a couple of reasons really:
1. I can't think of anything I think I want on my body for all eternity like that. There's just nothing that I consistently think will be forever that important. Perhaps that's a tad cynical, but I've seen far too many things go wrong in people's lives that aren't within their control. I like the notion that Mikey has with his son's name and the ones that Tracy mentioned, those sound significant.
2. It screws up with my blood donations. I'm O-neg, so they call all the time and hey, why not, it's not like I'm using it. If I get a tatoo, it's a year before I can donate again. A tatoo isn't worth it to me.
3. Honestly, it's great to turn 18 and get one, but don't for a second think that you'll be loving the same thing at 42 that you did at 18. Oh sure, there's a chance you will, but at least an equally good chance that you won't. And you're stuck with it.
4. You ain't going to look at 50 like you do at 18. What, maybe 1% of people stay fit to that age? That little barb-wire tat on your gun/pipe/bicep may look great while you're just out of school and working out 3 hours a day, five days a week but I got news for you bub, it won't look so hot when you weigh in at 350 pounds that ain't muscle. It's going to look stupid. Worse when it's on women - they look awesome when they're 5'8" and 125, not so good 20 years down the road and 50 pounds later
5. If the decision is because it makes you unique, it probably doesn't. Know anybody with a Tasmanian Devil tatoo on their ass? I know about 50 different people that do. There's lots of cool tatoos out there on the boards to pick from, many well done, colorful and attractive. But if it's me and 4763 of my closest friends with the same tatoo, I don't see the point.
6. How many of you can accurately read Chinese? How do you know that every Chinese person in the world isn't laughing their ass off at you behind your back? Oh sure, the artist said it means peace
but it really says whore
. Nuh-uh, I don't trust them that much.
The truth of the matter is it's your business and your decision. Like anything else in life, if it's not negatively affecting someone else it's none of their bloody business, so do what makes you happy. But please, please for the sake of everyone else don't cheap out and get a crappy, half-assed, half-finished tatoo. Find out who the good artist is and pay for it to be done properly and well. Make it personal and meaningful to yourself.