Author Topic: Tattoos -- Love 'Em or Hate 'Em?  (Read 31773 times)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Tattoos -- Love 'Em or Hate 'Em?
« Reply #60 on: January 8, 2007, 12:03 PM »
I'm not into Tatoos in the least. Nowadays it seems unusual for folks to not have one. That isn't the reason I don't have one though (to be different)-I just feel that it would really suck when you no longer want it--but guess what- it's there still. Have spoken to too many folks that wish they never got tatooed and regret it later-I am not in a hurry to become them. I find the designs cool mostly- though they're placement or overuse on a body is a real 'unattractor' for me anymay. 

Won't go as far as to say I hate tattoos since I think some of the creativity in the designs are good I just feel their placement on the body as unattractive (certainly don't feel it enhances anyone's look-quite the opposite IMO) and I don't love them either to put one on my body anywhere ever.

DS

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 8, 2007, 12:19 PM »
Having been on the beach in Hawaii recently I can verify that there are far, far too many people with tatoos that might have had nice bodies at one time, but no longer do.   :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 8, 2007, 12:33 PM »
Heh Heh, Brent I could use the O neg excuse too since it's my blood as well but I don't give blood; mines' poisonous  :P.

J

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 8, 2007, 12:50 PM »
It just seems too many things can change in life for making a tattoo needed. Things like Faiths, Marriages-relationships, desires, likes/dislikes, even personalities are subject to change. Would really hate to have a tattoo of a child's name than have the child killed in an accident and have a painful reminder on my body about it. Spoke with several old folks from my bowling leagues and retirement homes and noted that most of them were embarrased when confronted about stories of there tattoos-- they're tones were ones of regret mostly. Referring mostly to the tattoos as mistakes--and some of their stories actually sound legit and sentimental, but it was almost as if they scorned their earlier selves for making 'the mistake'. There was exceptions though as some were proud of their tattoo so to each his own.

I would never personally feel somebody was less of a person just because they made that decision unless you count me being immediately unattracted to the opposite sex on sight. That's a physical attraction only type-thing though. Just thoughs.

J   

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #64 on: January 8, 2007, 01:19 PM »
Would really hate to have a tattoo of a child's name than have the child killed in an accident and have a painful reminder on my body about it.

Yes, after a child has died, they will likely never cross your mind again, unless in the form of a painful reminder such as a tattoo or a charm bracelet or the like.

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 8, 2007, 01:26 PM »
Yes, after a child has died, they will likely never cross your mind again, unless in the form of a painful reminder such as a tattoo or a charm bracelet or the like.

Your words Matt, I never said that. The tattoo would help little. At least your easily amused.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 8, 2007, 01:39 PM »
Huh, I guess I should have thought about that before getting my son's name tatooed on my arm.  You know, just in case the most horrific event to happen to a parent ever occurred.  I sure wouldn't want that painful reminder.  ::)

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #67 on: January 8, 2007, 01:41 PM »
Your words Matt, I never said that. The tattoo would help little.

Exactly.  Having a tattoo of your dead child's name won't really affect you all that much, because you're likely going to be thinking about them all the time, anyway.

At least your easily amused.

My what is easily amused?

But seriously, when you're posting, it doesn't take much. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 8, 2007, 02:02 PM »
Would really hate to have a tattoo of a child's name than have the child killed in an accident and have a painful reminder on my body about it. 

Having your child's name on your body would be a painful reminder of the fact that they were killed in an accident as opposed to a wonderful reminder of the child you had before they died?  ???  If you proudly carried your child's name on your body, why would that have to change if, God forbid, they were to die?  They would still be your child and you would still be their parent.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 8, 2007, 02:07 PM »
You pasted the laughing smiley, so you appeared amused to me.

Do you have anything to say about the topic at hand or did you just come in here to troll on what I said, honestly?

ON TOPIC: As I said earlier I guess I don't love them but I don't hate them either..I dislike tattoos.
               Looking at the topic..it appeared to me the thread asked for input on how personally
               folks felt about tattoos; I didn't see where it invited ridicule or arguing on what someone  
               POV or was.

DS      

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 8, 2007, 02:14 PM »
They would still be your child and you would still be their parent.

Yes a simple, obvious fact that I won't deny.
My opinion is that, yes, you could think of them alot and what happened--probably not all the time. Consider though years down the road the tattoo not helping your sorrow any ...EVERY time you look in the mirror or someone asking about the tattoo-well, that's how I feel about it-just my opinion that I have a right to share like everyone else here.

Did you get your Tattoo yet? Good luck with it.

J   

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 8, 2007, 02:51 PM »
Personally, I don't see the point of tatooing your child's face/name on your body (deceased or living).

My kids are (and will always be) very important to me - I don't need ink to remind me (or anyone else) for that matter.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 8, 2007, 03:11 PM »
That's an interesting point...hmmmm

Can I use a reverse spin off of it?
You know, tattoos may BE a good idea for folks when they get older and can't remember things anymore to help remind them of significant others,events,things important to them ect. On second thought, no.
When/if I get to that point I want to be taken out and shot.

A fine point nonetheless.

DS

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #73 on: January 8, 2007, 03:23 PM »
You pasted the laughing smiley, so you appeared amused to me.

I was amused, and said so.  But if my "My what is easily amused?" comment was directed at your misuse of "your" and "you're."  Little pet peeve of mine.

Do you have anything to say about the topic at hand or did you just come in here to troll on what I said, honestly?

Sure, and I have said one or two things about the topic at hand, actually. 

ON TOPIC: As I said earlier I guess I don't love them but I don't hate them either..I dislike tattoos.
               Looking at the topic..it appeared to me the thread asked for input on how personally
               folks felt about tattoos; I didn't see where it invited ridicule or arguing on what someone   
               POV or was.

My opinion is that, yes, you could think of them alot and what happened--probably not all the time. Consider though years down the road the tattoo not helping your sorrow any ...EVERY time you look in the mirror or someone asking about the tattoo-well, that's how I feel about it-just my opinion that I have a right to share like everyone else here.

Kinda like how others have the right to share that their opinion of your opinion is that it is ridiculous, yeah?

---

But to be more on-topic:  I was watching the game last night, and noticed fellow Okie Jeremy Shockey's tats (upper right arm sleeve and lower left arm sleeve), which really set off my need-for-things-to-be-symmetrical OCD meter.  I don't know how he can stand himself.

You can have all the tattoos in the world, but for the love of Pete, please make them symmetrical, people.

You know, tattoos may BE a good idea for folks when they get older and can't remember things anymore to help remind them of significant others,events,things important to them ect.

Polaroids are just as good for remembering key events in your life, I always say.

(remembers Sammy Jankis)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 8, 2007, 03:28 PM »
Perhaps I should have added today, Matt

I don't know this Sammie guy