Author Topic: Tattoos -- Love 'Em or Hate 'Em?  (Read 31918 times)

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
Re: Tattoos -- Love 'Em or Hate 'Em?
« Reply #135 on: March 21, 2008, 03:55 PM »
Before the year is out, I'm going to get this on my left calf:

Well, it took longer than a year, but I did it the other day.

Don't tell my dad, though.  He gave me the silent treatment for a week when I got my ears pierced in high school.  He'll disown me for this.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 22, 2008, 02:27 PM »
Don't tell my dad, though.  He gave me the silent treatment for a week when I got my ears pierced in high school.  He'll disown me for this.

It's going to be a little hard to hide that at the summer barbeque...

Looks cool though, congratulations!
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 30, 2008, 10:47 AM »
I finally have gotten my first tat.  I've been waiting forever to do it.  This is an eagle and crossed runways that was on my beret when I was in the Air Force.  I wanted something from my service days and finally picked this here.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Darth_Zirock

• Youngling
  • There's a hole in the world like a great black pit
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 3, 2008, 03:09 AM »
I like tattoos, but can't get them because of a skin condition. Kinda wish I'd got one in my 20's now, because the skin condition didn't develop until my 30's. A very good friend of mine is a tattooist in Utah. He was a professionally trained artist first, and people always said his art would make awesome tattoos. So, already in his 40's, he goes out and apprentices! Now, he's inking full-time, and really making a name for himself in Utah. Goes by the name of Johnny C'thulhu, if any Utah members want to look him up.
« Last Edit: October 3, 2008, 04:18 AM by Darth_Zirock »

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 3, 2008, 09:31 AM »
When I was shopping around for tattoo artists, I was amazed at the level of talent Utah has.  I don't know why; maybe it's a counter cultural reaction to the prevailing social and religious conservatism we've got here, but there are lots of kick ass artists in town.

Does your buddy work out of a particular shop, or does he bounce around?  If he's at a shop, what's it called?
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 3, 2008, 10:38 AM »
Took my five year old daughter to a tatoo parlor on Wednesday to get her ears pierced.  She wanted to have it done, had been talking about it for weeks, but finally worked up her nerve.  Given the choice of going to a sixteen year-old at the mall with a gun that may or may not be cleaned properly, or a licensed professional with a sterile  needle we went with the tatoo shop.

before

one ear done

after
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 3, 2008, 12:03 PM »
Took my five year old daughter to a tatoo parlor on Wednesday to get her ears pierced.  She wanted to have it done, had been talking about it for weeks, but finally worked up her nerve.  Given the choice of going to a sixteen year-old at the mall with a gun that may or may not be cleaned properly, or a licensed professional with a sterile  needle we went with the tatoo shop.

before

one ear done

after

If I had a chose back when I got my ear pierced when I was younger I would have gone with the tattoo shop instead. The gun jammed when they pierced my ear and I had the ******* thing hanging from my ear while the idiot working there had to try and get the backing off of it and onto my ear. I hated it.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 3, 2008, 12:53 PM »
You should have just gotten her a full sleeve while you were at it.  It's cheaper when their arms are small.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 3, 2008, 02:33 PM »

If I had a chose back when I got my ear pierced when I was younger I would have gone with the tattoo shop instead. The gun jammed when they pierced my ear and I had the ******* thing hanging from my ear while the idiot working there had to try and get the backing off of it and onto my ear. I hated it.

That's exactly why we went this route.  I had just read/heard too many stories about gun malfunctions, weird scarring, infections, etc.  Just earlier this week we watched in Walmart as two women were piercing one little girls ears..both hovering over her to fire at the same time....it was horrifying to watch...there's no way they could be sure the piercings were going to be even that way, and sure enough on of the guns got stuck and was dangling just like you described.

That - plus the fact that the needle actually removes a little core of tissue as opposed to the gun poking a hole like a pencil through paper, so it heals cleaner and faster.  We've barely had anything to clean out from behind SK's earrings this week.  No problems at all.

Tatoo parlor = professional, clean needle, inspected by health dept, licensed by state, adult who does it all day long and stakes their living on it.  Mall/Walmart = iffy gun, malfunctions, sixteen year old, maybe a good pierce, maybe crooked.....bleh.

No brainer for me.

7 year old son went with us too, and I asked him while we were there if he wanted to get a full on darth maul face tattoo.  His eyes got huge and he shook his head...gave the tattooist a big laugh.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 3, 2008, 03:29 PM »
My kid already has all of his tattoos picked out.  Indiana Jones on his chest; Obi Wan Kenobi on his right shin, and Jango Fett on his left shin.  He's four, and says he will wait until he's eight to get them.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 3, 2008, 03:30 PM »
And yes, his mother does hate me.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline knashdx

• Jedi Knight
  • I see Llama's
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 3, 2008, 04:43 PM »

That's exactly why we went this route.  I had just read/heard too many stories about gun malfunctions, weird scarring, infections, etc.  Just earlier this week we watched in Walmart as two women were piercing one little girls ears..both hovering over her to fire at the same time....it was horrifying to watch...there's no way they could be sure the piercings were going to be even that way, and sure enough on of the guns got stuck and was dangling just like you described.

That - plus the fact that the needle actually removes a little core of tissue as opposed to the gun poking a hole like a pencil through paper, so it heals cleaner and faster.  We've barely had anything to clean out from behind SK's earrings this week.  No problems at all.

Tatoo parlor = professional, clean needle, inspected by health dept, licensed by state, adult who does it all day long and stakes their living on it.  Mall/Walmart = iffy gun, malfunctions, sixteen year old, maybe a good pierce, maybe crooked.....bleh.

No brainer for me.

7 year old son went with us too, and I asked him while we were there if he wanted to get a full on darth maul face tattoo.  His eyes got huge and he shook his head...gave the tattooist a big laugh.

My wife got her tounge pierced there and I got my body piercing done at one too. Difinately a much better experience than the gun. My wife (Adriene) and I have talked and if any of our kids want their ears pierced we will take them to the tattoo shop and pay more than for some idiot at the store to do it for all the reasons you listed.

I told my wife that I want to get another tattoo. I have 3 already and have to go through all the pictures that I have and figure out what I want to do next.
I have been told to go to hell; well at least I will know everyone there!

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 3, 2008, 07:45 PM »

No brainer for me.

When I got my ears pierced at age 11, my mother took me to the pediatrician to have it done.  I was so embarrassed -- all of my other friends got theirs done in a store.  Now that I'm a parent two things about that episode stand out to me -- I totally agree with my mom's choice, and I can't believe a pediatrician would pierce a child's ears. ???

Name -- great call on the tattoo parlor -- I would have never thought of that.  You should have got a shot of SK in the chair with the ink needle looling like she was getting a tat.   ;)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Theo Zissou

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • My myspace page
« Reply #148 on: October 4, 2008, 11:53 PM »
I''ve had my mandalorian symbol tattoo for like 3 years now. i've been trying to think of something to tat around it. some kind of design or something. just trying to gather ideas now since i might do something around thanksgiving.

Offline solrac

• Jedi Padawan
  • fett-ish
    • View Profile
    • bounties
« Reply #149 on: October 6, 2008, 02:43 AM »
it took me about six years to find a good mando symbol to have tatted on my arm. looking through books and pictures and having people draw it for me just didn't do it for me. it being there for the rest of my life made me wait for just the right one. about eight or nine years ago Roseart made a star wars temporary tattoo set and there it was. back then there was nothing that big and or that accurate to take a picture of.the next day i went to get prices for it all around town. San Diego being a Navy/Marine town we have lots of shops but they all at about $80 to $100 for a very simple tat that was just to much. that afternoon a drove to a friends house that knew a tattoo artist and he did it for $40.00 . its about 2 1/2" tall, i think it looks great and i told Lefty " tattoo artist" my story and he said that most people regret getting tats but since i took so long and had to do what i did to get just what i wanted it would feel like i had it forever and will never regret it.so far its been good and would feel naked without it. i hope i don't get to be 80 but if i do there will be other thing to worry about. "depends", no hair, deaf, and senile. at least if someone sees me with it they will think i was cool back in my days...   
He's no good to me open