Author Topic: More Playsets Hasbro!  (Read 10867 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
More Playsets Hasbro!
« on: May 18, 2005, 11:46 AM »
I've made this suggestion on another site, but wanted to see what you guys thought.

I think build your own "modular" playsets would be very cool and could do well. Think about it, two or three different imperial set packs, each containing various wall, floor/ceiling and support beam pieces that are designed to fit to geather in infinate combonations. In each pack, they can feature a different set piece like control consels, stair cases, elevator shafts, etc.

This can be done for Bespin city, Tanive IV, Hoth...
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Modular Playsets
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 05:45 PM »
Yep, definitely a good idea, assuming Hasbro's never going to make a large scale "ultimate" playset.  I'd rather get it all at once, but Hasbro's been afraid of making a real playset since, oh, about 1980 (actually, that was Kenner back then).  Well, there was that Bespin Freezing Chamber thing and a couple Theed sets, I guess...  Anyway, I'm always perplexed with Hasbro can pump out monstrous playsets for the Batman and G.I. Joe lines, but freaks out at the mention of doing something similar for their Star Wars line.  Makes absolutely NO sense whatsover to me.  They hinted at C3 that they're finally starting to discuss doing some nice playsets in the years to come, but since they've farted around for so long, Attakus is going to beat them to the punch with their high end metal dioramas.  So it'll be interesting to see how Hasbro attempts to compete against something like that.  Obviously, they'll have the price factor working in their favor.

But modular sets are something that the collecting community's been requesting for years, really since the very early years of the line.  Seemed like Hasbro might be on it's way to doing something like this, back when they put out the Death Star Escape and Detention Block Cell mini-sets, but those were the first and last of their kind.  Had the Endor Bunker and Hoth sets too, but again, those were tiny, and shortlived.

I'd like to see some "modular" sets done on a little bit grander scale though.  I'm thinking something more along the lines of what Muftak does with his customs - one nice level at a time for the Death Star, and let it grow upwards if so desired.  But I'd take some interlocking one-level sets too, if they really created an accurate layout for a piece of the Death Star(s), Cantina, or Jabba's Palace.  The question is, would Hasbro need to go with a cheaper ($20) price point and a playset of lower quality so the supposed kids could partake, or could they up the stakes a little and make some real nice connecting pieces catered to the adult collectors, at a $30-50 price point?  I'd definitely prefer something along the lines of the latter, though I'm sure Hasbro would prefer the former.

I just want something that looks fairly accurate, and is close to a decent scale, so we can finally display our figures in some of the more iconic scenes from the movies.  That's not so hard to ask now, is it?  :-\

Oh, and just stick with the Original Trilogy too, at least for starters.  Pump out the Death Star I & II, the Cantina, and Jabba's Palace and I'll be happy.  Then maybe they can do something for Dagobah, Bespin, and Hoth too.  After Hasbro's tackled all those environments, then they can fiddle around with the Prequel stuff.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 04:22 AM »
I've made a similar suggestion in the past...  Never seen mention of it.  I've even seen other toy lines do something along this concept, and done well, but Hasbro ignores playsets (especially if it's not tied to a film release) for the most part.  Strange.

I too thing this is the type of thing that CAN make that big Death Star playset a reality...  My concept wasn't so much a collapsable thing, but rather "box-like" environments that are both attachable on the left and right sides universally, but also stackable...  Several sets, fairly generic each, with the right figures (army builders would be ideal) and you could really do something special for a playset...  I could really envision anything from Ewok Villages that are never-ending (if the consumer so desired) to a Death STar stacked as high as the person's living space would allow.

The concept's one I hope Hasbro looks into since I'm not a fan of compacted playsets (I'll be honest, and Dan Flarida would hate me for saying it, but I think that unproduced Death Star he showed at C3 was a pretty bunk thing...  Cool for kids, but didn't tickle my fancy particularly), but the sort of "customizeable" feature here would allow for more realism I think.

Anyway, hope Hasbro takes note, it's a good idea.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline TT8L

• Youngling
  • subtle hint...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 3, 2005, 02:58 AM »
If not modular playsets it would be at least some consolation to have the bases interlock ad infinitum. When I first bought the ROTS Aayla Secura and saw the Battle Droid had nearly the same stand I thought the two would lock together and the more BD's I bought I could have a huge set-up. I also thought the bases that came with some of the other figures would interlock, but it seems that most don't... at least not more than two pieces.

They could actually make a playset from modular pieces in related figures like the Galactus from Marvel Legends.... I might actually buy every figure in a series rather than just the ones I like if they did that because I would have incentive to "collect them all"

Once they get past ROTS, I'd like to see the new figures in themes like they've done in the past... Cantina, Endor, Naboo,  Jedi Temple, Kashykk etc. etc.

Not all of the figures in an assortment would have to come with a huge pbase or piece of the modular playset.. most figures would come with a repeating floor pattern and then the delux figures would come with the three or four pieces that make the main structure. Obviously army builders would come with repeating ground pieces to make the set as large as one would like and the unique character would come with the big pieces.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
More Playsets Hasbro!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 01:32 PM »
How about making the Imperial Med center at the end of ROTS Hasbro? It wouldn't have to be too big, maybe in the $20-40 range, and it would go along nicely with your already made DLX Vader Med Table and Imperial medical droid. Anyone else with me on this?
Pics: http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/imperialrehabilitationcenter/

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial Med Center playset
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 10:44 PM »
That'd be cool...

Then we could get Hasbro to make FX-6 and 2-1B!!

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
I Want A Death Star
« Reply #6 on: November 4, 2005, 05:15 PM »
I'd like to see an updated Death Star Playset. Something that combines the original Kenner and Palitoy version in one playset. Maybe it could be 4 playsets that combine to make a round one. One that house the trash compactor sequence, one for the dual, one for the prison break and another that could be the gunstation. Maybe that's a bit overboard but you get the idea. They could click together and rollup or out. Or just re-release the original.
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
More Playsets Hasbro!
« Reply #7 on: June 3, 2006, 04:48 PM »
How about making some new playsets? Make 'em Hasbro Direct, I don't care, just make them! Here's my ideas and descriptions for them.

Star Destroyer Bridge Playset:
-Is Made Up Of Main Bridge Area And Two Smaller Rooms At Back Of Playset
-Includes Pack-In POTJ Imperial Officer, TSC Death Star Gunner, And Three Crates
-Around $40-50

Palpatine's Office Playset:
-Is Made Up Of Main Office Area And Smallish Elevator Room
-Includes Pack-In ROTS Blue Royal Guard
-Around $30-40

Trade Federation Hangar Bay Playset:
-Is Made Up Of Main Hangar Area And Security Room On Side Of Hangar Area
-Includes Pack-In E1 TC-14 And POTJ Security Battle Droid
-Around $40-50

Thoughts?

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
Re: More Playsets Hasbro!
« Reply #8 on: June 5, 2006, 10:11 PM »
a multi- level kamino playset like the origianl death star playset. Then a tatooine Lars homestead kind of like the original tatooine base with cardboard sandcrawler back drop.
then a jedi temple playset also like the death star, multi levels. And they can re-use the ewok playset for a kashyyk wookie confrontation.
 ;D ;D ;D
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 8, 2006, 03:37 PM »
Something like this -

Or like this -

To be honest though, I'm sick of Hasbro's efforts (or lack thereof) with playsets and large vehicles.  Time to sell the rights to a company like Sideshow or Gentle Giant that would actually take those things seriously.

:)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: June 8, 2006, 03:46 PM »
Time to sell the rights to a company like Sideshow or Gentle Giant that would actually take those things seriously.

I think you mean "take those things seriously... but not so serious that no one can afford to buy them."

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 8, 2006, 10:07 PM »
Death Star w/ VOTC Stormtrooper & Death Star Droid (Rehash of Ewok Diety 3PO w/Old Head)
Kamino w/ SA Clone Trooper & New SA Jango Fett
Imperial Star Destroyer w/ VOTC Boba Fett & VOTC Darth Vader
Utapua w/ Utapua Clone Trooper & New SA General Greivous
Endor w/ VTSC Biker Scout & Speeder Bike
Kashhyyk w/ New SA Commander Gree & ROTS Preveiw Wookiee
Separtist Ship w/ TC-14 & POTJ Security Droid
Republic Star Destroyer w/ Redish R2 Unit & TSC Firespeeder Pilot
Palpatine's Office w/ Evo Anakin & Red Security Guard
Yeah,that's quite a dream right there!
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline 212th Battalion

• Jedi Initiate
  • oh crap...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2006, 10:15 PM »
Utapau- 1x air-borne trooper, 1x ROTS battle droid
Momar and Fester

Offline 212th Battalion

• Jedi Initiate
  • oh crap...
    • View Profile
Play SETS
« Reply #13 on: September 1, 2006, 11:15 PM »
Hasbro give us new playsets!!!!! i mean the mustafar playset to me was a waste of money there was nothing special about. But the geonosian arena that was Awsome! why dont you make playsets like that any more i mean with the 30th aniversery coming out dont you think its time to give us all a NEW death star play set! i mean kids will go nuts over these and collectors will love them to! so whats the deal why dont you make a DS playset!? :P
Momar and Fester

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Play SETS
« Reply #14 on: September 2, 2006, 11:23 AM »
Didn't you already post this in the "Questions For Hasbro" thread? You didn't need to post it here. And besides, Hasbro has said countless times that they will not be making any more playsets anytime soon.