Author Topic: Fighting the urge to scalp.  (Read 2589 times)

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
Fighting the urge to scalp.
« on: May 30, 2003, 03:21 PM »
So I'm on my afternoon toy run when I come across the elusive Marvel Legends Doctor Doom Doombot variant. I'm no Marvel Legends fan. I think the best thing about the entire line are the bases rather than the figures. The only two I own are Iron Man and the Thing, mostly because the articulation is pretty well hidden on Stark's armor and Ben Grimm is just one big mother...

Anyway, I had wanted to get a Doom figure, but couldn't get past his crooked European teeth. The head sculpt just looked goofy, but I thought, "I just won't display him without his mask on." Then I noticed the Doombot variant right behind him. Nice, better than Vic's mug, that's for sure. So I put the Vic Doom down and kept the Doombot figure instead since this one will look good with OR without the mask.

I walk toward checkout thinking, "Gee, I wish the Iron Man gold variant was this easy to get." Then it hits me. I can't help but wonder how much this thing is going for on eBay. So instead of checking the auctions, I come here for support.

How often have you drifted toward the "dark" side? Fess up now.
Post sober.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting the urge to scalp.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2003, 03:35 PM »
A few months back, I had just arrived at Walmart to find about 5 of each LOTR figures that just came out (the Prologue Elven Warrior and Galadriel) and I knew I could make a killing on Ebay but it came and went out of my mind as quick as you read this because it's just so much better to help others out instead.

Long story short, I just had a someone remember me helping them out back in February and they picked me up an extra toy I was looking for and sent it to me at cost.  I know it's tough, especially when it involves variant or chase figures (I mean $200.00 for a Twilight Frodo??!!) but I could never do it because there is ALWAYS someone who really wants the item for their personal collection and I'd rather help than scalp.
Beth

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2003, 03:43 PM »
I've never come close...I picked up a couple of 12" TTT Arwens and sold them at cost plus shipping to a couple of people  ;) (like the prson who just replied) over at the LOTRguide.com.  I am a huge believer in toy karma, what goes around come around and hopefully whenever Beth finds two Twighlight Frodos in the UP she will think of her old pal OCB who helped her out.

There is a thin line there though between helping and hoarding though.  Going around and plucking hot toys can mean your are helping nationally at the expense of local collector who might see you as a scalper.  The worst part is when you buy extras and then nobody wants them anymore and you can't unload them either :)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2003, 05:03 PM »
I have at times bought duplicates of a hot or hard-to-get item, but I have never scalped anything before.  I would buy those dupes to either trade with someone or to sell to someone.  Scalping is bad... very bad.  It's something I can't stand or tolerate.
dustrho

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2003, 05:25 PM »
Yeah. I won't even buy stuff like that to "help" people by posting it on Rebelscum or wherever. All I'm doing is taking it out of the local market, and possibly, even away from a kid. If I'm not buying it for ME, or out looking for a specific thing for a specific friend, then I leave it there...no matter what the aftermarket value is.

That's just the right thing to do.

Got Clones?

Jango Fettish

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2003, 05:39 PM »
I picked up a couple of 12" TTT Arwens and sold them at cost plus shipping to a couple of people

Ditto. I found 12" Legolas x 2, 12" Ringwraith x 2, 12" Eowyn x 2, and 12" Bilbo x 1. ALL on clearance at my new Super Target for $3.33!

This is over 2 seperate occassions, I got a 12" Legs and 12" WKR for myself, sold the rest at cost..plus shipping.

Also, when I hit the jackpot at Super Target w/ the Bear Clan wave, all my extras went to Depmode. At cost.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 2, 2003, 12:45 AM »
Heh, must be time for a post from the dark side.  Now, before y'all go gettin' your knickers in a knot, I trade fairly and by the given rules of whatever board happens to be the origin of the trade.  

No one here has responded with respect to McFarlane sportspicks.  Totally, absolutely different world.  The rules of value there are governed by ebay (price/value wise).  Like any other board, I'll help folks out and have had the same in return.  Largely, I am now trading with guys that I know from previous trades and we try to match up as best we can.  The most scandalous trade I made was a Saints Ricky Williams for 2 hockey variants :o  Anyone from the spawn board that hear's that trade thinks I'm nuts.  Whatever.  

I have also traded variant figs for multiple SW items.  Typically I ask for 3 SW figs for a single variant, so I am asking $15 for $10 worth of "value".  The catch is that is the way those boards work.  I have yet to sell anything on ebay.  

As far as chase figs like Doombot, no mask Wolverine or gold Ironman, hey, I'd buy two if I found them.  Dain Bramage and I have an agreement to trade them fairly to each other to help one another out.  If I found multiples, I'd grab them for other board members around here or elsewhere that I know.  That seems contrary to the philosophy of many around here.  I used to scoff at the thought of scalpers buying SW stuff around where I am.  Ebay isn't much of a market right now nor is there locally.  That was until I got into McFarlane stuff.  Hell, I know the scalpers by name and I'll be damned if I'd leave something for them to drag off to the local flea market.  Am I taking it away from a kid or other collector?  Yep, but they can find me on multiple boards and I'll help everyone out.  Can't do much about the kid, but no way a schoolkid is going to score a chase figure on a weekday.  Stocking at our stores is overnight or early am, so collectors and scalpers are out en masse early.  

Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Hung Solow

• Jedi Initiate
  • Public Enemy #1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 2, 2003, 03:03 AM »
maybe you could build tepees or tan hides instead??? ;D ;) ::)
Blessed be the Maker and his Water, Blessed be the coming and the going of Him, May His passage cleanse the world. --- Dune: Dr. Kynes; Imperial Ecologist

Offline Reconsgt

• Jedi Apprentice
  • De Oppresso Liber
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 2, 2003, 09:27 AM »
I have been tempted by the darkside but have resisted the urges. Expecially when I was low on funds.

I have picked up extra figs just for the sake of trading but I  have never jacked the value up. I will also look for other people and pick their stuff up as well but again it is always at cost. There are items I can't get in my area so the trade route works best for me in getting them.
Wayne Roberts or you can call me Sarge

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 2, 2003, 11:15 AM »
I fought the urge this weekend.  I heard that Toy Fair Vader's with signatures were selling for at least $200.  Cash would be nice, but it wouldn't be cool to do that.  I'd rather get my Toy Fair Vader signed and keep it myself.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback