Author Topic: Holy @#%! - Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin killed by a sting-ray barb to the chest  (Read 11937 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/14663786/   :-X

SYDNEY, Australia - Steve Irwin, the quirky Australian naturalist who won worldwide acclaim, has died in a marine accident off Australia’s northeast coast, local media reported on Monday.

Queensland state government sources quoted by Australian Associated Press (AAP) said Irwin, 44, whose television show “The Crocodile Hunter” won international acclaim and popularized the phrase “Crikey”, was believed to have been killed by a stingray barb that pierced his chest.

He was filming an underwater documentary off Port Douglas when the accident occurred, the report said.

Sky Television also reported that Irwin had been stung by a sting ray.

Australian emergency officials could not immediately confirm the reports.

Irwin won a global following for his daredevil antics but also triggered outrage in 2004 by holding his then one-month-old baby while feeding a snapping crocodile at his Australian zoo.

This is a breaking news story and will be updated.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2006, 01:15 AM by Rob »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
"I told you so" doesn't quite feel like enough...

Joking aside, at least the guy died doing what he loved. Too bad it was so soon.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2006, 02:08 AM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
I was reading the article on CNN. Yep, he loved what he did & he knew the risks.

I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it.
Steve Irwin

Offline Poggle the Greater

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Major bummer.  :(

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
I can't believe it. Two of my favorite shows on TV today are Jeff Corwin's and Steve Irwin's. What a shock. I just hope his family does okay after this. It's always hard to take a death on family, but his child can't be that old now. Hopefully they had enough income from the shows to stay well now that he's gone. His wife was also in the occupation, was she not?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Holy **** is right... this one came out of nowhere. RIP.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Dr. Zoltar

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Here's something I found on imdb:

"He tells his camera crew to always be filming. If he needs help, he will ask for it. Even if he is eaten by a shark or croc, the main thing he wants is that it be filmed. If he died, he would be sad if no one got it on tape."

I wonder if something will show up on youtube tomorrow...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Yeah, I just saw this on CNN.com too, and was pretty shocked.  I'd actually been talking about him (mimicking him, more like) just last weekend, when we had two rattlesnakes in our front yard.  Very sad.  He was an entertaining fella, and his animal/reptile/fish adventures were always cool to watch.  Hope there's snakes and crocs wherever he winds up so he can still have some fun.  RIP, mate.

If he died, he would be sad if no one got it on tape."

I wonder if something will show up on youtube tomorrow...

Yikes, that'd be a bit eerie to see, but I'd probably watch it out of the usual morbid curiousity.  Of course, seeing a stinger hit his chest isn't quite as gnarly as a croc or shark attack, so at least the gore factor would be minimal...  :-\

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Hm.  I lost a lot of respect for this guy when he risked his son's life by placing him near a croc (I think that was the animal).  Not that I'd want him dead, but he's definitely gone over the line in the past.  Risking your own life is one thing, risking others is too much. 

I guess he pushed his luck one too many times. :-\

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Crikey! :o

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
That's too bad.  He was a pretty cool guy.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
I'm sadden by his death and the lost to his family.  Only seen his shows a few times usually stuff on regular tv.  .

Offline Roton7

• Jedi Padawan
  • Roton, King of the Ozone
    • View Profile
In a sense, I can believe it. But in another, I can't believe it. I remember back when he first became famous, and I thought he was a moron after doing such stupid stunts. And then when he did it for years, he almost seemed immortal.

But apparently he's not.

R.I.P. Steve.
Yo is what yo is.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Well, today I learned that stingrays are dangerous.  I didn't know that tail of their's was so menacing, apparently they can accelerate it to projectile speed and plunge that barb into it's prey.  It usual does it as defense only.

I have a new respect for these critters:

« Last Edit: September 4, 2006, 11:56 AM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Crikey! Didn't see this one coming. Hope his family is doing alright.

R.I.P. Steve.