Author Topic: Holy @#%! - Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin killed by a sting-ray barb to the chest  (Read 11938 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
There have only been 3 other deaths by stingrays ever recorded.

17 to date.  Scratch that, 18 after today.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
I wonder if they'll close the stingray petting pool at Sea World now. 

My understanding is that all those rays are de-stingered in some fashion.  There would have been hundreds of incidents there by now if they weren't.

There was a sign saying "Don't Pet their tails"  ::)

It's been awhile since I was there, but I still could have sworn that the last time I was there some guide was telling us about how their stingers (barbs I guess...) had been removed and that they were harmless.

If they all had barbs they'd be getting shot out left and right with all that petting going on.

Offline HWR

• Jedi Initiate
  • Finally I have returned
    • View Profile
This is ineeed sad news, I was chocked when I read it, this was way to early to pass away.

sure everyone on Skywalker and Rebel Scum are sad to hear it too, exept you alltime favorite Australian (GNT of cause), who hated Steve Irwin.
Collector of vintage loose Star Wars figures and variations.
Three time sponsor and presenter at the Celebration Europe Collector Track.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
Its been pretty amazing down here, first time I heard it I thought Croc or Snake but then to hear it was a Sting Ray I was kinda shocked.
The media down here is really running with it, to the point of tackiness.
Tonights news was broadcast from his Australia Zoo and one current affairs programm after was there too, with the presenter going so far as to have a lizard on her shoulder towards the end of the show. There are also specials about him and his life on aswell.
I feel for his wife Terri and his kids Bindi and Bob but I think there comes a time when the media needs to step back and take a look at themselves , tonights news did little for me other than to annoy me.
RIP Steve , you were a champ
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
I was really shocked to hear this over the weekend as well, and as others have mentioned, when I first heard he had passed I thought of a croc or snake or something like that.  To be honest, I had no idea that stingrays could kill people until I had heard this.  Thoughts and prayers with his family in this difficult time.

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Would you people watch the footage of his death seeing as he wants the footage released to the public.  I have mix feeling on wether I would watch it or not.
Watching Croc Hunter on Animal Planet I learned something about Steve Irwin that I hadn't know,  that he ended up saving some guy's life off of Mexico. 

Offline hansolo_506

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
The footage was being shot for a new program that was due to be hosted by his daughter.  Even though he said if he went, he wanted the cameras rolling..I highly doubt the footage will ever see the light of day.

If it were my dad doing something for me and he got killed, I don't think I would want to even think about the possibility of seeing it.
Don't curse in your signature.

-c.berry

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Yeah, I'd watch it I guess.  I don't think it'd be nearly as horrifying as the beheadings I watched coming out of Zarqawi's (good riddance) group in Baghdad.  Now that was horrific.  But I think it was important to watch, especially for half this country, so we really understand what it is that we're up against with radical muslim extremists.

Anyhow, I got derailed there.

What I'm really trying to say, is that I've seen way worse.  So yeah, I'd give it a look.

Offline Dr. Zoltar

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
But I think it was important to watch, especially for half this country, so we really understand what it is that we're up against with radical muslim extremists.

Which half?

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Don't bring politics into this, Dressel.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
Someone needs to declare war on these mantafascists and their weapons of individual destruction before they indiscriminately stab more Aussies.

Vote GOP in '06, or the stingrays will win.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2006, 06:35 PM by Sprry75 »
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
I don't Steve would be proud of what they're doing.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
I don't Steve would be proud of what they're doing.

WTF??! MY name is ARTUUUUUU

I don't Steve either..LOL