Author Topic: Legacy Novels  (Read 13674 times)

Offline Oboewan

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Legacy Novels
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2007, 04:48 PM »
I read Fury in two days.  Great book aith lots of action.  Alston also did a great job with Ben halping Luke still dealing with his grief over losing Mara as well as the Jag and Jaina storyline.  I have a feeling that they will be a couple again by the end of the series.

I also enjoyed it quite a bit.   Hopefully Jag/Jaina can hook up again... anything but Zekk!   I really like Alson's writing style
"Who is more the fool... the fool or the fool who posts after him?"

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2007, 12:07 PM »
"Do you even know how to use a lightsaber."
"I know lesson one."
"Don't grab the glowy end."

Great Line!!!!!!!!!
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2007, 01:05 AM »
I loved that line as well.  I like how they've evolved Jag's character where he is still very rigid, but also, he's allowed a few cracks in his facade due to being exiled from the Chiss ascendancy.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 1, 2008, 11:28 PM »
I finished Revelation yesterday and it was another enjoyable read.  The next paragraph will contain spoilers so read on at your own risk.

I liked the idea of Jaina going to Mandalore to learn fighting styles from Boba Fett and the rest of the Mandalorians.  In the next, and final, book I look forward to her using that berserker technique she learned from Beviin.  It was also neat to see the Mandalorians in action as a fighting unit in the battle of Fondor.  That entire battle was really cool how it unfolded with Admiral Niathal getting Fondor to surrender and then Caedus continuing to press his advantage and preparing to bomb more cities.  Also using Tahiri to kill Admiral Paelleon (I'm going to miss that character) and putting the the Imperial remnant into a civil war.  It was also cool to see Admiral Daala make an appearance and kick quite a bit of ass with her fleet.  I have  feeling we haven't seen the last of her in this series.

It was also interesting to see Ben and Shevu put together a case for Mara's murder against Caedus.  I'm glad too that FINALLY we see a force ghost when Mara appeared to Ben at the crime scene and then again to Luke at the end of the book.  I have been hoping for this since Anakin was killed in the NJO series.

It's going to be a long wait for the final book in June.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 4, 2008, 06:30 PM »
Agreed on the long wait for Invincible. (and more spoilers to follow...)

These writers seem to have it in for Tim Zahn's characters...first Leia's Noghri bodyguards, then Mara Jade, and now Pellaeon...and I'd wager either Jacen or Jaina will have to die in the end. Thankfully Tallon Karrde decided to sit this series out, or I'm sure he'd have died by now.

Aaron Allston's books were a pleasure to read thus far (I love his take on Lando, and the humor he brings to the situation...ie the Looooove Commander.) Troy Denning's entries have been a real chore, though, I absolutely couldn't take one more Alema Rar POV passage, so I'm hoping Invincible is worth it.

Karen Traviss has been the middle of the road for me. I haven't really gotten excited about all the Mando stuff, and unfortunately she got the character of Pellaeon completely wrong. I found myself really brought out of the story quite a few times with his reaction to Jacen's control of the fleet. Seeing as he was on hand for (and very outspoken against) Thrawn's use of C'Baoth's fleet coordinating skills, I found it completely unbelievable that he would be so surprised by Jacen's actions. I was hoping for at least some acknowledgement that Pellaeon was aware of the power of a Jedi gone dark, but I guess Traviss didn't read those books to know. At least know the characters you're killing off.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 5, 2008, 11:52 AM »
I agree a lot with what you say Muftak however to say that they "killed off" Pellaeon doesn't make sense. I loved his character and will miss him, but he was 92ish years old. He had to die soon and I'd much rather he go the way he did than to find out he had a stroke two years later.

And I miss Mara but big characters have to go sometime otherwise there is no drama when they are in bad situations if you know they will always make it through.

I enjoy the Mando stuff, but felt it would have fit in its own book better than cramming it into these books ever so often when Traviss was the author.

And anything is better than the Killik books!!!!!!!
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2008, 10:15 PM »
I picked up and just finished the final book in the series Invincible.  It was as good read with an odd ending, I'll talk more about it after more of you have finished it.
This is the way.

I have spoken.