Author Topic: Current/Future Video Game Systems - Opinions?  (Read 3865 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Current/Future Video Game Systems - Opinions?
« Reply #15 on: March 6, 2007, 04:36 PM »
Of the new ones, I only have  the 360 still - the Zephyr (sp?) looks awesome, but without HDTV, I'm not in a rush.

I plan on having a Wii by this time next year, for Zelda if nothing else.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: March 6, 2007, 07:18 PM »
I've still yet to buy anything because I want to make sure I'm 100% caught up from Christmas before I buy any new system.  I'd like to be ahead of the game some for once.

The systems I'm eyeing are still a 360 and Wii...  I'd like both, will try for both...  PS3's price for lack of improvement over the 360 is all that keeps me from wanting it really.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 6, 2007, 09:24 PM »
I still like the 360.The Wii was neat,but not for the price :P It seems the 360 has no end of Star Wars games + I can play my old X-box games as well.That's a big advantage in my book
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline Madcow

• Jedi Padawan
  • Isn't the Wokling cute? LOOK AT IT! LOOK AT IT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 8, 2007, 12:18 PM »
I've had Wii since launch week and i'm still really happy with it. They really haven't released any killer games since launch but with the ever growing list of Virtual Console downloads I never find myself bored...

As for the others, i've wanted a 360 for a while now but the lack of HDMI has me rethinking the PS3. The price is higher but the Blu-Ray player is a huge plus and my main console for the last 5 years has been PS2 so my old titles won't go to waste. Overall, I probably won't be buying either for at least 6 months so there is alot of time to decide. I just wish I could find a cheap used Xbox so I can play those damn Burger King games I bought. :P 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 8, 2007, 12:41 PM »
I actually saw a couple of Wii systems in stock at our local Target yesterday, but unfortunately we can't spend the money on that right now.  I can't say I wasn't tempted though.  If I get a new system, it will likely be the Wii - or just settle for the cheaper, but older, PS2.

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2007, 12:51 AM »
I'll keep the PS2 and Gamecube since right now they are at their height in terms of development and more importantly the number of titles available.  My kids are happy with em so that will last them. I'll probably wait for 2 years or so before I buy in. I've gone cheap in my middle age. I know in 2 years price points should drop, game costs may not lower for new games, but the amount of games that are out used or at a discounted price point is significant that I can then buy two to three games for the price of one game right now. I have to admit though, I am looking at the 360 and the Wi instead of the PS3. We'll see in two years or so when I am ready to get serious whether one is the 360 or one is the PS3.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 10:23 AM »
I don't know if it is confirmed or not, but I read a rumor this week that Sony is going to be coming out with a new remote that works like the "Wiimote" for the Nintendo Wii.  This will work with the PS2, and you can buy it with new systems or to add to your existing PS2.  The same rumor said that Sony would also be dropping the price of the PS2 to $99 - and this would be around Christmas.  Grain of salt and all that, but it would be an interesting development.  It sounds like PS2s still sell pretty well, despite all the next gen systems.  Maybe $400-$600 is just too much for many people to pay for video game systems.

That said, now that we've had a few months, how do you think the systems are stacking up against each other sales wise?  I have to say I still very rarely see a Nintendo Wii in stock anywhere.  I have seen them, but they are always sold out in a matter of hours.  I see PS3s all the time, and the 360 seems to be in good supply - but they've been out for awhile now.  I'd really like to get a new system (I just have a Gamecube, which doesn't even have new games anymore), but I just don't think we can afford those higher end ones.  I'm leaning more towards picking up a cheaper PS2 or Xbox.  Anyways, who is winning the "console wars" at this point, if anyone?

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2007, 10:30 AM »
I'm still happy with my PS2, Dreamcast, & N64.   :)  I'm always years behind on upgrading simply because I don't want to pay insane prices for the system & the games.  I'll wait up to a year to get games at 50-70% as I don't need them the day the come out.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2007, 11:15 AM »
I'd really like to get a new system (I just have a Gamecube, which doesn't even have new games anymore), but I just don't think we can afford those higher end ones.  I'm leaning more towards picking up a cheaper PS2 or Xbox.

Allow me to quote myself, from four months ago:

Why not get a Wii?  Provided you can find one, of course.  It's the cheapest, it comes with a game, it's fully-backwards-compatible with all the old GameCube games, and you can download all kinds of old school Nintendo games (and others) to it, if you want.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2007, 11:40 AM »
No, you're right, the Wii seems like a good choice.  I was really wanting to get one (if I saw them), but with a baby on the way we just can't afford to drop $250 (plus games/etc.) on a new system right now.  Maybe if I quit this collecting disease, it would help :P.  That's the main reason I was leaning more towards some of the older systems, $100-$130 is easier to stomach for a new system.  I'm not unhappy with the Gamecube necessarily, but being a person who can only afford to have one new system at a time, I started to find that it didn't carry a lot of the games you could get on all the other systems (including handhelds).  That, and the fact that they aren't even making games for it anymore makes me lean towards a new system.  Even with the success of the Wii so far, I guess that there is a small part of me gunshy with Nintendo again after seeing that they seem to have a lot less variety/longevity with their games/systems than the other two big names do.

I went with a 'cube at the time for the price, and the fact that I just wanted a "fun" system, reminding me of the NES of my youth.  I still think that's the most fun I've ever had with a game system, the old 8-bit NES (I need to get mine fixed).  Anyways, that's why I was leaning towards a Wii - and you're right, that probably would make the most sense for someone like me.  Sometimes I just feel like I "backed the wrong horse" with the Gamecube last time, with the PS2 and Xbox seemingly being the better systems in the long run.  Its all subject to what people like though I guess.

Offline King_Maul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 8, 2007, 07:59 PM »
I just bought a Wii a few days ago, and my wife and I have logged some really fun hours on that console.  We brought it to family get-together yesterday, and everyone who played on the console had lots of fun.  We own a PS2 as well, but we both agree that the Wii provides us with more interactive and family fun.  We only own 2 games now - Wii Games and Wii Play.  I think this console has lots of potential.

Here is a lightsaber game I came across that's in the works - Wii Lightsaber Game.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #26 on: July 9, 2007, 02:11 AM »
No, you're right, the Wii seems like a good choice.  I was really wanting to get one (if I saw them), but with a baby on the way we just can't afford to drop $250 (plus games/etc.) on a new system right now.  Maybe if I quit this collecting disease, it would help :P.  That's the main reason I was leaning more towards some of the older systems, $100-$130 is easier to stomach for a new system.  I'm not unhappy with the Gamecube necessarily, but being a person who can only afford to have one new system at a time, I started to find that it didn't carry a lot of the games you could get on all the other systems (including handhelds).  That, and the fact that they aren't even making games for it anymore makes me lean towards a new system.  Even with the success of the Wii so far, I guess that there is a small part of me gunshy with Nintendo again after seeing that they seem to have a lot less variety/longevity with their games/systems than the other two big names do.

I went with a 'cube at the time for the price, and the fact that I just wanted a "fun" system, reminding me of the NES of my youth.  I still think that's the most fun I've ever had with a game system, the old 8-bit NES (I need to get mine fixed).  Anyways, that's why I was leaning towards a Wii - and you're right, that probably would make the most sense for someone like me.  Sometimes I just feel like I "backed the wrong horse" with the Gamecube last time, with the PS2 and Xbox seemingly being the better systems in the long run.  Its all subject to what people like though I guess.

As far as the last generation (2000-2006) goes, yeah, if you only went with one console, and that console was the 'Cube, yeah, you probably picked the wrong horse.  Still though--there was a bunch of good exclusive games for the 'Cube that you couldn't play on any of the others.  It was an alright little system.

The PS2 is a different story.  It's the oldest of all the systems out there, but it still sells a decent amount, and it's still being supported with new games, to some extent.  God of War II game out a few months back, Guitar Hero: Eighties is coming out this month, and Guitar Hero III is coming out later this year.  I'm sure there are many more--those are just the ones I'm interested in.  But still, if you buy a PS2 now, that's still nearly a seven year-old system.  Who knows how long it's going to be supported.

But whatever you do, don't get an original XBox--it's just as dead a system as the GameCube is.

I'd still say a Wii would be the best bet for you.  It's a brand-new system, so it's going to be supported pretty well for at least a few years.  It's fully-backwards compatible with all your old GameCube games.  You can hook it up online and download many of the old NES and SNES games you enjoyed back in the day (at a nominal price, of course).  At $250, it's the cheapest of the next-generation systems, and it comes with a game, so you don't really have to buy anything else, except maybe a second controller.  A lot of people are happy with the pack-in game, Wii Sports.  And even though it's been out for a year less than the 360, the Wii is on the verge of overtaking it in terms of total sales (around 10 million or so),  so you can be sure that it'll have plenty of support and new games for the forseeable future.

As far as the cost goes, since the Wii is fully backwards-compatible with the GameCube, you could go sell or trade your GameCube in, along with any old GameCube games that you don't want to play anymore, and that would knock a chunk off the price of the Wii. 
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."