Author Topic: Battle of Naboo Wave  (Read 61584 times)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of Naboo Wave
« Reply #285 on: October 10, 2006, 11:22 PM »
FINALLY this wave hit.

I personally favor the Endor part of the wave over the Naboo part of the wave. All the Naboo wave figures are either limited in articulation or just plain boring. The Endor wave, on the other hand, is pretty cool. Luke's poncho looks nice, and the Rebel Trooper, although lacking ball-joint arm articulation, is still a great figure overall.

i agree, with the exception of that vader that I never need to see released again :P
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 16, 2006, 12:38 PM »
Tamidala and I found this wave today, and purchased it all, save for that crappy Naboo pilot. :-X

They didn't have the black rebel or Obi-Wan. :(

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline ddschneider1972

• Youngling
  • Go Bucks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 17, 2006, 06:38 PM »
I got my case form EE last week.

My Reviews:

The Old

E1 Obi-wan: repack...I am not keeping this one, I bought this in april of 1999. Now with cloth cloak, and the 'real hair' ponytail. blah

Vader: Disappointing repack...I bought this figure in a better form about 5 or 6 years ago. The removable hand reveals a long forearm of 'endo-skeleton', (not like the movie) the helmet is more opaque, the little lighting bolt fits badly, the less paque version with painted lighting was way better....It is a step back from the POTJ figure.

Holo Maul: Needed Figure but Disapointing repack, a 1999 figure that does not represent the scene it is meant to be from...also the saber is a brittle plastic, and stuck in the plastic prety good, I thoguht i broke it while removing it. I like holos but they could have at least kit bashed better arms...

The O.K.

Endor Luke: a Good repack. It is the same figure you bought twice in the OTC collection, once as Jedi Luke once as a hologram, this time with a black gloved hand, removable Endor Helmet, removable belt with working holster, and removable poncho...I do not recommend removing the poncho, hard to get back on.

Endor Rebel (Black): A decent kitbash/new figure, and an army bulder but one that is made to look like an individual. But there have been plenty of unique looking Endor rebels to have a unique squad of at least 6 troops, nice to see diversity. The backpack won't go on worth a crap, the helmet and (poor) arms are the same, this figure features a ball jointed head, a working holster (and a fleet trooper pistol) and ball jointed knees. Too bad they left the bad arms....he comes with a pistol and arms designed to hold a rifle...Half-assed-bro doing their typical shoddy work.

The New

Representitive Been: Brand New Sculpt, I always thought his name was Rep, but that was short for Representitive, apparently. An average 'Statue' background figure like many senator/political type figure. looks good though, not really ever  him high on ANYONES lists of new figure to be made...

Naboo Soldier: Brand New, doesn't look as bad as it did in pictures, looks a little too bulky though, good articulation & the second brand new all bland figure I never ever heard anyone clamor for...

Gragra: Everyone likes aliens, detailing and accesories (gorgs and a hatchet are appropriate, like to have seen a piece likd her food stall, similar to how they did the Coruscant bar. the Puppet looking mouth is very poory executed, should have sculpted the head with out it.

Mars Guo & Dud Bolt: the best of the figures...TWO brand new figures, both with removable goggles, ball jointed heads, mars has swivel arms, dud has swivel wrists, and the both come with weapons. Dud's gun has a weird strap, mars is a familair looking gun, anyone know if it is new or not? Personally I'd rather have seen them come with a tool or Pit droid crate rather than guns they can't hold well. they did seem to forget to paint Dud's legs, the belt straps are sculpted on, but the legs are all one color, so he kinda looks like he's wearing speedos. 

Overall, I was pretty disapointed with the figures...

Hasbro is really trying to get me to quit buying things from them...i am buying less and less all the time.

"Modern Collectors are just Walmart Shoppers" -The new SW "Fan Club" President

They are right, everything is big in Texas, even the defeats...The Buckeyes are (still) #1!!!!!!!!

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #288 on: October 17, 2006, 06:48 PM »
Mars Guo & Dud Bolt: .... Dud's gun has a weird strap, Mars is a familiar looking gun, anyone know if it is new or not?

Both weapon sculpts are repacks from the Clone Wars '03/46 Durge figure.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 06:50 PM by jedijaybird »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 17, 2006, 09:30 PM »
Gragra: Everyone likes aliens, detailing and accesories (gorgs and a hatchet are appropriate, like to have seen a piece likd her food stall, similar to how they did the Coruscant bar. the Puppet looking mouth is very poory executed, should have sculpted the head with out it.

I quite like this monster. I think they did a good job on the mouth. I really appreciate that it opens and closes. :)

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 17, 2006, 10:28 PM »
I have not seen a single trace of the Endooine wave save Obi and Luke from a trade.
 :( same with wave 6, thanks to all the gb's  >:(  >:(  >:(
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 18, 2006, 09:22 AM »
I haven't seen much of these around here either, aside from a lone Vader and Obi-Wan, which are now long gone.  For those interested, it looks like Amazon (not TRU.com) has the Naboo/Endor wave in stock for $6.99 each right now - with free shipping on orders over $25 - if you are getting impatient.  I was placing an order anyways, so picked up the Luke and Endor Soldier I've been looking for.  Same price as the stores around here basically, especially with the free shipping.  If anyone is interested, just thought I'd pass it along.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 18, 2006, 11:36 AM »
Thanks Brian. I'll probably end up following suit. My area stores are so full of GB and GH, HV that they'll likely skip this wave. By the time they re-auto order new figs we'll likely be on the final 22(since all the maxed crap on the pegs isn't selling)
Since I need at least 7 from this wave(have Vader and Naboo soldier) this Amazon deal is looking really good for me now. Free shipping=I like it.

Slothus

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 19, 2006, 01:18 AM »
Has anyone popped the Saga trooper's head into the neck of the new trooper? Does it fit?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #294 on: October 19, 2006, 02:16 AM »
I just found the full wave around me myself, but only white Troopers...  Seems only white or black are to a case, not a mix...  I think Gragra is one of, if not the, winner of the lot...  A nice figure for sure.  Luke's not bad though, surprisingly.  A nice placeholder.

The Endor Rebels...  They are what I figured so I'm not disappointed to be honest.  I think they're...  ok.  They're not fantastic, I want resculpts of course, but they're ok.  I'll put it this way...  They are THE best Rebel figures out... 

Yeah that says pretty much nothing truly positive from me, huh? :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 19, 2006, 02:48 AM »
The Endor Rebels...

The troopers are a really sad offering, and reiterate just how split Hasbro's quality still is. They'll do stuff like VOTC and Evolutions (and raise the price point for these "special" figures), but skimp hard in other places. Reusing the outdated parts from the Saga figure was a really cheap move; those arms are immobile and worthless (especially with the jacket stifling them). And the legs on this guy are a reminder of how amazingly talented this company is at rendering ball joints almost useless. How a figure with ball knees and ankles could be so awkward to pose is beyond me, but it is. It's the same situation as VTSC Luke; the legs somehow manage to have limited poseability even with ball joints. I think it's the configuration of the hips/thighs? They seem to be skewed out in such a way that posing the knees makes the figure stand funny. And this was a particularly cheapass move considering they're already scoring multiple sales on this fig with the white and black heads.

Between this monkey business and the damned paint error variant BS they keep pulling (eg Endor Threepio, Gragra) I'm getting discouraged about collecting this junk.

Offline Phoenix

• Youngling
  • I'm a photonovelist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 2, 2006, 10:46 AM »
Rumor says that the Naboo wave (Obi-Wan to Gragra) has been spotted on a normal everyday store in Finland! That would be awesome, but I think it'll take some time before they're going to arrive into my city. But still, if that's true, it's awesome!

Too bad if/when Endor Wave II hasn't hit Finland...I'd have liked Endor Trooper(s) and Luke. Oh well, you can't have everything in life, or in SW collecting. And not if you live here anyway.

And finally, my personal opinion about the wave:
Obi-Wan Kenobi - the robe is the best part. Easy pass.
Holographic Darth Maul - the mold is awful, just like on the kitbash of Obi-Wan and you can't really say who's that hologram anyway. Easy pass.
Rep Been - been thinking of getting 2 to 4 of these guys. I like Gungans and Jar Jar Binks. Surprised, are you?
Dud Bolt&Mars Guo - well, they're weird aliens. Might get 'em if I have some leftover money. (The figures cost about 10-12€ in Finland - about 12-15$ I think.)
Naboo Royal Soldier - now we're talking! I'm going to get them as many as I can find! They're plain awesome!  ;D
Gragra - well, same with Dud&Mars.
« Last Edit: November 3, 2006, 11:01 AM by Phoenix »
This space intentionally left blank.

Offline Kill_Solo

• Jedi Initiate
  • You're a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 2, 2006, 03:07 PM »
I think there is going to be a major resurgence of this wave. Between two Walmarts today I've seen 16 cases of the Naboo wave! And I thought I was never going to see the black Endor Rebel Trooper in the wild.

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 8, 2006, 07:59 PM »
FINALLY this wave hit.

I personally favor the Endor part of the wave over the Naboo part of the wave. All the Naboo wave figures are either limited in articulation or just plain boring. The Endor wave, on the other hand, is pretty cool. Luke's poncho looks nice, and the Rebel Trooper, although lacking ball-joint arm articulation, is still a great figure overall.

i agree, with the exception of that vader that I never need to see released again :P

ya know what. i am actually quite fond of the naboo figs. i am. i think the big h made good choices this time around (save that craptacular naboo soldier and holo maul). who can honestly say gragra and a podracers 2-pack and a DECENT obi-wan are a bad thing?

rep been i havent seen yet? anyone else having trouble tracking him down?
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 8, 2006, 08:25 PM »
...Still haven't seen this wave AT ALL.