Author Topic: NFL 2004-05  (Read 45837 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
NFL 2004-05
« on: September 10, 2004, 07:47 AM »
Hell of game last night to start the 2004 season of what could possibly be a glimpse of the AFC Championship game.  The Pats win streak is now at 16 in a row, three short of the all time record. 

The D-line needs work (Ted Washington going to the Raiders leaves a huge - no pun intended - hole).  But they found a way to win, like they always do and that's all that matters.  And to do it against the Colts is a plus.  This loss may get into the Horses' heads and affect them.  They'll always be thinking that they can't beat the Pats.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
Re: NFL Preseason '04
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 02:17 PM »
Hey, it's no longer "pre-season." Must...rename...thread...

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
Re: NFL 2004
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 03:41 PM »
Portis had 100 yds before the half. He's all the Redskins had on offense, though.

Emmitt Smith had a nice TD run where he looked vintage.

Up next:

Cowboys-Vikings

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 04:15 PM »
Steelers 24, Oakland 21, and Jesse +$50.00

:)  Here we go Steelers here we go!

The game was REALLY good and Oakland made a nice run at the end that I missed because I had to go pick up some food for supper.  Fun to be back in Football season.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 04:16 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 08:50 AM »
Some more thoughts on week 1:

*Arizona ******* sucks.  Three St. Louis turnovers and they don't do **** with them.  Pathetic.
*KC still doesn't have a defense.
*Good start to the McNabb-Owens era in Philly.  Philly still needs to work on that run defense, though.
*The Jets might contend in the AFC East. 
*The Bengals look to be going in the right direction.  Even though they lost, Palmer looked solid and they kept fighting until the end. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2004, 09:12 AM »
I was at the Vikes game yesterday, the first quarter and a half had me a little nervous with a return of a lackluster Defensive Effort against an average offense at best.  Once the missed the Field Goal it was pretty much all Vikes from then on

I don't think their D is good enough to get to the Super Bowl, but the O certainly is, its on par with the Vikes of 98 and the Rams of 99, they're that good.  Culpepper was amazing and its going to be a fun year rooting for the Purple

Dallas needs some work...I don't see them going back to the Playoffs this year

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2004, 11:14 AM »
Some thoughts....

-Culpepper=Good, Vikes could be tough this year.

-Broncos Running Game still looks nice (without Portis), with Quentin Griffin going for 150+.  As a Broncos fan, this is nice to see, hopefully it continues.  A win over KC is always nice too.

-Charles Rogers injured (collarbone) again.  Kind of sad to see this happen to any player, come all the way back from an injury and just get hurt again.  Hopefully he's not out the entire season, and not just because he's on my fantasy team :P  Always had a soft spot for the Lions for some reason, hopefully they can still be an improved team this year...maybe even .500

-Cincinnati could compete again this year.  Although they lost, they didn't give up...and Carson Palmer didn't look half bad.  Too bad for Kitna though, after the year he had last season.

-Although I'm not a big fan of his...heck of a debut for T.O. in Philly.  Looks like that could be a tough combo this year...still not quite sure if they are Super Bowl team or not, but very possible.

Anyways, glad to see the full NFL schedule on Sunday...nice to have it back.  Seems like football season came up faster than usual this year though.  Best of luck to everyone's teams this year.  Green Bay vs. Carolina tonight should be a good one.  Not necessarily a big Packers fan, but always root for Ahman Green, and hope he at least does well.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 09:23 PM »
Is this where we go to gloat about Fantasy league stuff?  Honest, I have no real idea how the game works, but it can't be that hard, can it?  Defending what :-*  Pity I didn't start my third string quarterback though.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 03:01 PM »
Dallas needs some work...I don't see them going back to the Playoffs this year

It's obvious we need Woodson back. And we need another CB. But your defense let a 40 yr old QB throw for 355 yds. I'm reminded of a certain NFC Championship game in which the Vikes were shutout 41-0 when they had the #1 offense in the league. Defense wins championships, and as such, neither Dallas NOR Minnesota should be booking hotel rooms for the Super Bowl just yet.

I really think that Dallas' personnel just don't match up well with the Vikings. And match-ups dictate the NFL. Otherwise last year, Dallas beat Philly who beat Tampa who beat Dallas situations don't happen and the best team always wins.

Also remember that last year, New England lost to the Bills 31-0 on opening day. On "Any Given Sunday"...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 03:09 PM »
Yeah, I pointed out the Vikes D deficiencies already, didn't help their starting Corner didn't even get through pregame warmups.  I still say the Vikes O is the best in the league and will get them to the Playoffs, its the D that will determine if they can get to Jacksonville, the thing is, none of the NFC contenders has Super Bowl worthy D's IMO.  I think the AFC is far and away ahead of the NFC right now, it might be a while before the NFC catches up again

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 03:26 PM »
I concur. But really, it's about time. How many Super Bowls in a row did the NFC win in the 90s? And what's the overall record AFC vs. NFC? The NFC has been overwhelming since the 70s so it's about time the AFC got back in the driver's seat.

I still think this will be a great season for football!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 07:49 PM »
I'm reminded of a certain NFC Championship game in which the Vikes were shutout 41-0 when they had the #1 offense in the league. Defense wins championships, and as such, neither Dallas NOR Minnesota should be booking hotel rooms for the Super Bowl just yet.

Ah, I remember it fondly.  Probably the last great game of Jason Sehorn's career.  He just shut down Randy Moss that day.  Too bad the big, bad D of the Ravens (along with that big, fat tub o' goo, Tony Siragusa!) killed us in the Super Bowl, but we still made it to the big dance that year.  Boy, 1986 and 1991 seem like so long ago now.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2004, 09:28 PM »
No way did Jason Sehorn shut down Moss that day, that game was the absolute epitome of "I Play when I wanna play"  He still gets ripped for that one in town...

Vikes blew it that year, lost 3 of 4 in December against some mediocre teams and lost homefield advantage.  I don't think they would have beat the Ravens though, no way, no how

I do think they have a chance this year but probably should look at next year more realistically, with even more money to spend on a top flight DE and maybe a new LB

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2004, 10:27 AM »
Huge game tonight with the Eagles and Vikings this early in the season.  I give the Eagles the advantage because they are at home but Randy loves to light people up on National TV...I think the Vikes have a shot but only if their D plays better than last week and they actually get a pass rush on Donovan

Thanks to the Bears for beating the 2nd most over rated team in Football yesterday...I said it before and I'll say it again, the Lions are the only team I see competing with the Vikes for the North title

Great game between the Colts and Titans yesterday too!

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2004, 10:47 AM »
Week 2 thoughts and ponderings:

-Pats win streak at 17 now.  They never win pretty, though.
-Jags are 2-0 and have scored a total of 20 points.  Damn, talk about your defense bailing out your offense.
-Bills are 0-2 and have only allowed 26 points.  Talk about your offense not scoring any points for your defense.
-Much like the Pats owning the Colts, the Colts now own the Titans.
-The Ageless One had his first no-catch game since 1985.  I'd say that's a pretty good run.
-7 turnovers by the Politiciantown Native Americans and they only lose by 6 points.  Classic case of not putting away your opponents.
-The Lions are 2-0.  The Cardinals still suck though, so the world's not going to end soon.