Author Topic: NFL 2006-07  (Read 56442 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
NFL 2006-07
« on: September 8, 2006, 12:26 AM »
Time to update the thread title!

(And, for a non-dickhead thing to add:  Does anyone else confuse that San Diego defensive guy's name for "Utapau?")
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NFL OffSeason 2006
« Reply #1 on: September 8, 2006, 02:10 AM »
Go Steelers!  :D  Batch played well, was a great game...  Good start to the season.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: NFL 2006-07
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 01:31 PM »
Deion Branch got shipped to the Seahawks for a draft pick. 

I never thought he was a good fit for the Patriots anyway.  Like no other quarterback, Brady really spreads the ball around.  He throws TD passes to everybody.  I don't have the statistics handy, but just from what I've observed I'd venture to say the Patriots had more players that caught a TD pass last season than any other team.  Players like Branch who want to be Terrell Owens don't fit in well with Brady, because almost nobody catches more than 3-4 balls a game in that offense.

It's also noteworthy that Brady handed off the ball 36 times yesterday to Dillon, Maroney, and Faulk in comparison to just 12 completed passes.  That's a run heavy offense.

I also like what this means for Ben Watson, but I'll save that for the fantasy thread.  :D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 01:36 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 02:48 PM »
I checked my facts about my suspicion of Brady distributing TD passes all over the place.  Last season the Patriots threw TD passes to 12 different players.

All other teams in the NFL ranged from 2 players to 8 players who caught TD passes, with the 49ers having just Brandon Lloyd and Arnaz Battle catching TD passes, and several teams having as many as 8 players who entered the end zone via airmail.

So the Patriots throw TD passes to about twice as many different players than the average team.

That didn't make Branch happy, he's a "me" guy.

I wonder how he's gonna like Hasselbeck throwing to D-Jack, Engram, Burleson, and Stevens.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 10:01 PM »
Dressel Rebel's Week 1 Recap:

Steelers over the Dolphins:

I did think that Pittsburgh was gonna lose this one with Roethlisberger out.  Willie Parker looked good, and he's probably in for a fairly monster year without Bettis vulturing goal line carries.  But for me the two biggest surprises of this game were how bad C-Pep looked after a great preseason, and how ineffective Chris Chambers was considering the ball was thrown to him 14 times.  The passing game was totally shut down by Pittsburgh.  I do not like the Dolphins at all anyway.  But Ronnie Brown looked good and effective at the goal line, but the running game was more or less shut down by Pitt as well despite Brown's 2 scores.  I guess it's not all that big of a surprise if you consider Polamalu and Joey Porter leading that defense.

Falcons over the Panthers:

The Panthers are just totally impotent without Steve Smith.  The offense is basically Steve Smith.  On top of that, the Panthers just can't stop the run.  The Falcons rushed almost 50 times.  There's just not much more to say here except the Panthers better hope Steve Smith and his 2 pulled hamstrings heal soon.  And that the Falcons are pretty well rounded.  Everyone was involved from Dunn to Norwood to Vick to Crumpler to Jenkins.

Ravens over the Bucs:

Wait is Cadillac Williams still a Buc?  Or did the Bucs just hand him the ball 8 times as a special guest?  The guy should be carrying the ball 30 times a game, end of story.  I'm gonna give the Bucs the benefit of the doubt here because they faced a tough Ravens defense who went ape**** on them, and the Bucs were good last year.  I didn't think Jamal Lewis would be such a big factor.  I thought he was busted.  I guess he's back.  Surprise.  I was kind of hoping Matt Stover would issue another public apology to the city of Baltimore, but it's a long season.  Also, Jamal Lewis is really a big strong man, holy crap, 5' 11" and 245 lbs with a jail block attitude:

Patriots over the Bills:

The Bills suck and the Patriots are good.  That's pretty much the whole shootin' match right there.  Tom Brady will invite people off the street and out of the stands onto the field and pass the ball to them if he's already passed to everyone on the roster 3 times, and I don't think Branch leaving means a damn thing to this team.  It's not Brady's game to have a Terrell Owens wannabe on the field, and the Dillon/Maroney 2 headed monster looked good.

Bengals over the Chiefs:

No surprise here, a lot of people are picking the Bengals to go to the Super Bowl, and they might have done it last year if Carson Palmer didn't get jacked up early in the playoffs.  The Bengals are just star studded at QB, RB, WR with a decent defense.  Trent Green got his head smacked off his shoulders, then into the ground.  Larry Johnson was a monster as usual but didn't find the endzone for a change.  Wouldn't shock me if he ran/received for another 140+ yards next week but got into the endzone 3 times this time.  Larry Johnson, much like Jamal Lewis, is a big strong man as well:

Rams over the Broncos:

The Broncos should have won this game but Jake Plummer threw 3 interceptions, got sacked 4 times, and his O-line let him die.  Jeff Wilkins made 6 field goals.  That's it.

Saints over the Browns:

The Saints are going to be good this year.  Reggie Bush, Deuce McAllister, Joe Horn, Drew Brees and Marques Colston (I'm having a vision of Antonio Gates crossbred with Plaxico Burress).  Oh my God how bad do the Texans look right now?  Yeah Mario Williams is good, but Reggie Bush is whatever team he is on, and for good reason.  At any rate, the Browns stink and the Saints are dramatically improved.  Reggie Bush's first game goes down as a huge success:

Jets over the Titans:

The Jets stink.  The Titans stink.  The Jets win this one in the Loser Bowl, and if this is the Jets best game of the season it wouldn't surprise me at all.  Pennington and his receivers did look good though.  But neither of these teams are going anywhere, that's for sure.

Eagles over the Texans:

McNabb and all 3 of his top offensive weapons Stallworth, Westbrook, and Brown all looked great.  The Texans belong above in the Loser Bowl with the Jets and Titans, but 3 way matchups haven't been established in the NFL as of yet.  I do think Mario Williams is good and I stuck up for the Texans before, but they should have taken Reggie Bush.  They really ****** up.  And the Eagles are back!!  And Donte' Stallworth is really really fast:

Seahawks over the Lions:

The correct team won, but by 30 points less than they should have.  Seahawks over the Lions by 9-6 is pathetic.  The Seahawks deserved to lose and they should have, they really got away with one here.  They were totally ineffective.  And Lions are supposed to suck, but I don't understand what happened to Kevin Jones.  The Lions defense actually wasn't bad.

Bears over the Packers:

Green Bay is finished with a capital "F".  Ahman Green is the lone bright spot.  The Bears looked pretty good all around rushing, passing, and defense, and they are a total lock for the playoffs.  Nobody in the NFC North is capable of winning that division except them, even if the Bears weren't such a hot team.

Jaguars over the Cowboys:

This one may not be considered an upset to most, but it was to me.  Drew Bledsoe was just awful.  Terrell Owens had a nice game but I wonder how long he's going to keep his mouth shut if the Cowboys lose a couple more games in September.  The FOX TV camera was on him just about every play, even when his team was on D and he was on the sidelines.  You wanna become a celebrity in America?  Just say a bunch of stupid **** or act like an idiot, you'll have press all over you.  Still and all, TO played well.  There's so much talent on this team with a great D, Owens, Glenn, Julius Jones, Barber, Witten, that even as a Giants fan I have to admit they are probably going to win the NFC East.  I don't like Jacksonville much but Leftwich really had the passing game going and they do have 3 very good receivers.

Cardinals over the 49ers:

The Cardinals don't suck anymore.  The 49ers do suck, but they scored 27 points and that might be the highlight of their season right there.  Okay I guess Frank Gore is good.  But the Cardinals have 2 of the best 10 receivers in football, an average QB and Edgerrin James, that's good for at least .500 right there.

Colts over the Giants:

The Giants made a lot of mistakes.  Just from what I saw, they dropped 3 interceptions and in the final 2 minutes when they were out of time outs the players couldn't even remember to step out of bounds to stop the clock.  Too many mistakes.  Even with that, Tiki Barber looked great and Brandon Jacobs looked even better than that.  He had 54 yards and a TD on 8 rushes but what the box score won't show you is another 25 yard run that was called back for holding nowhere near the play and the fact that Jacobs ran over the entire Colts defense before he was tackled.  Now THIS is a big strong man (you guys can probably tell I like big strong men as running backs).  Brandon Jacobs is 6' 4" and 264 lbs.  If Tiki should suffer an injury this season, I don't think the Giants will even miss a beat.  Jacobs has a bright future.  Oh yeah I almost forgot the Colts won.  What else is new.  Peyton thew a ton of deep passes successfully because the Giants have people off the street playing in their defensive secondary.  But the Colts can't run their way out of a paper bag.  I think Rhodes and Addai were picking up about 2 yards average per rush and they looked even worse than that.  They'll miss Edge.  Okay Brandon Jacobs tribute time:

Vikings over the Redskins:

This was an upset and I don't like it when any team from Minnesota wins a game.  The Redskins have a lot of pieces like Portis and Moss, but Mark Brunell is not going to get it done as quarterback.  The Vikings aren't worth discussing because they suck.

Chargers over the Raiders:

Shawne Merriman is a bad man.  6 tackles and 3 sacks and the Chargers just stomped the Raiders silly.  The Raiders suck because Aaron Brooks sucks.  Randy Moss is miserable.  He should call the Dolphins and ask if he can rejoin his offensive coordinator and quarterback so he can be good again.  LaDainian Tomlinson is not a human being, he's a supernatural.  He must have touched the ball close to 35 times last night and didn't even play much of the 4th quarter.  Sure, I watched 4 Week 1 NFL games already yesterday but I needed to stay up until 1 AM until I was sure LaDainian handled the ball for the last time.  The Chargers are officially my 2nd favorite football team.  And I love Gates.  I leave you with this.  Touchdown.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 08:30 AM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 11:37 PM »
I don't like it when any team from Minnesota wins a game. 

>:(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 08:27 AM »
Don't get too mad Jeff, you are only half the reason why.  Scott is the other half.

:D

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 09:47 AM »
Man, the Raiders suck ass.  I just hope their schedule gets a little easier. 

As for Minnesota, hey, nice surprise, naturally being a fan I picked them to lose.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 10:45 AM »
Don't get too mad Jeff, you are only half the reason why.  Scott is the other half.

:D
::)

I didn't get a chance to watch the game but my great football mind was able to digest the highlights and declare that the Vikes should have won in a blowout

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 10:48 AM »
Here's a pretty cool website that shows what games you get each week.

Week 2 games:

CBS Doubleheader
Game #1

Game #2

Fox Single Game
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 10:48 AM »
Ravens over the Bucs:

Wait is Cadillac Williams still a Buc?  Or did the Bucs just hand him the ball 8 times as a special guest?  The guy should be carrying the ball 30 times a game, end of story.  I'm gonna give the Bucs the benefit of the doubt here because they faced a tough Ravens defense who went ape**** on them, and the Bucs were good last year.  I didn't think Jamal Lewis would be such a big factor.  I thought he was busted.  I guess he's back.  Surprise.  I was kind of hoping Matt Stover would issue another public apology to the city of Baltimore, but it's a long season.  Also, Jamal Lewis is really a big strong man, holy crap, 5' 11" and 245 lbs with a jail block attitude:

I was as disappointed as anyone to see Cadillac not get the ball.  I'm guessing Gruden didn't think they'd be successful running against the Ravens and abandoned it for the most part - being down 14-0 real quick doesn't help either since you start passing to try to catch up.  He'll get it against the Falcons - probably 25 times unless the Bucs fall into a quick hole again.  I think the Bucs should also get the benefit of the doubt for week 1 and maybe another week because in the preseason they barely played their starters at all - they used almost the entire 4 games to evaluate players from rookies to free agents since there were so many guys they liked in camp and there were lots of tough calls as to who makes the team.

As for Jamal - I really really hope you're right.  That he did that against the Bucs defense was encouraging - he won't be on my bench this week, so hopefully he can do it again.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 12:03 PM »
my great football mind

LOL!  Yeah I can tell from your fantasy performance.

:)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 01:28 PM »

That's a pretty cool website you found there Mikey. I wonder how they decide what areas get what? Some of those maps look like they have been tie dyed. There are some area that just don't make sense really. Like for the Fox Single Game there is an area in Western NY and NorthWest PA that gets the ARZ and SEA game over the NYG and PHI, that doesn't make too much sense to me. For that second game of the CBS double header, there are a few tiny little specks of red over in the blue area.

EDIT: Nevermind. I was just reading the site and found the answers to my questions.

How come these tiny specks in Nebraska are getting a different game?
One of two reasons: Sometimes a popular player is from a certain area, so the local station there likes to show as many games of his team as possible. This is especially true in college towns. The other reason has to do with the Fox network. Since it's a newer, smaller network, it doesn't have as many affiliates as CBS, ABC or NBC. So there is a national satellite feed called FoxNet that is distributed to cable companies in the smallest markets and other remote areas, which usually carries Fox's national game. I've tried to show as many areas that carry FoxNet as I can on the maps. Update: Effective Sept. 13, 2006, FoxNet has been discontinued. So I can’t use that excuse anymore.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 01:32 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 01:33 PM »
From the FAQ at the link:

How come these tiny specks in Nebraska are getting a different game?
One of two reasons: Sometimes a popular player is from a certain area, so the local station there likes to show as many games of his team as possible. This is especially true in college towns. The other reason has to do with the Fox network. Since it's a newer, smaller network, it doesn't have as many affiliates as CBS, ABC or NBC. So there is a national satellite feed called FoxNet that is distributed to cable companies in the smallest markets and other remote areas, which usually carries Fox's national game. I've tried to show as many areas that carry FoxNet as I can on the maps. Update: Effective Sept. 13, 2006, FoxNet has been discontinued. So I can’t use that excuse anymore.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 11:47 PM »

This is a handy schedule that will help me plan when, how long, and what channels will aid me in being a lazy lard ass on Sundays.  Thank you sir.