Author Topic: Marvel Legends  (Read 173402 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Marvel Legends
« on: June 9, 2003, 01:25 PM »
Just thought I would start a thread to discuss this great line.  I just started collecting some of these (just the X-Men characters for now), and have learned quite a bit about this line from OCB.  It is the only other line I collect besides Star Wars, and like many of you, I'm not finding much of those lately.  Do many of you collect this line...what are your opinions...or anything else you want to talk about relating to the ML line.  I personally think Wolverine and Magneto are both great figures (only ones I have), and I can't wait for the Series IV Beast to be released later this year (as well as Gambit).  Anyways, I'd be happy to hear anyone's thoughts and opinions on this line.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 10:16 AM by Scott »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Marvel Legends
« Reply #1 on: June 9, 2003, 01:41 PM »
Hey mosnab, glad someone started a thread on this here ;)

I love these things and have had good luck with them so far.  Through trading and luck in the store I have most of what I want from this line, but for the no mask Wolverine, which is way too expensive on ebay :o

From ML I I have ironman (inlcuding the gold one, which I saw four times in stores) and Captain America.  I paid only $5 Cdn for each, lucking into both on clearance at Walmart.  

From ML II I have only the doombot ;D and the Thing.  I also got a trenchcoat thing from a friend on the Spawn board.  He is holding a Hulk with shirt for me until I get something else to trade.  I suspect those latter two and the movie DD I have are from the 'Best of' line.  

From ML III I have Wolverine, Thor, Magneto and the movie Daredevil mentioned above.  I guess mine is from III since we never saw the Best of line in Canada (yet).  I keep passing on Ghost Rider, mostly because I think it will scare my daughter.

I also have the original DD and a yellow DD (thanks Dain) plus a couple of the spiderman figs.  From the spidey line I have the Hobgoblin (have a spare if anyone wants to trade) and I snagged a Venom with the ooze junk the other day.  I like that Venom marginally better than the one from the Spiderman classics line.  I need the black spiderman still, but can't find a deal on ebay that I'm willing to take (yet).  

For interest sake, I "stole" this info from somewhere else: ;)

Wave I
Hulk
Captain America
Iron Man
Toad
Iron Man Gold Variant

Wave II
Doctor Doom
Sub Mariner
The Thing
Human Torch
Doctor Doom Doombot Variant
Hulk with Shirt Variant

Wave III
Wolverine
Magneto
Thor
Ghost Rider
Movie Daredevil
Wolverine Maskless Variant

Best of Marvel Legends Wal-Mart Exclusives
Captain America
Sub Mariner
Doctor Doom
Wolverine
Ghost Rider
Thor
Daredevil Movie
Thing Trenchcoat
Stealth Armor Iron Man

Wave IV
Gambit
Beast
Elektra
Punisher
Goliath with Antman and Wasp (Rumored Chase Figure)

Wave V
Mr. Fantastic
Sabertooth
Colossus
Silver Surfer
Nick Fury
Blade II movie figure
Red Skull
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 9, 2003, 02:13 PM »
Morgbug, thanks for the reply...and thanks for posting that list.  I was going to go back and do that when I got back from my lunch break, but you took care of it.  Thanks!

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 9, 2003, 02:20 PM »

Wave V
Mr. Fantastic
Sabertooth
Colossus
Silver Surfer
Nick Fury
Blade II movie figure
Red Skull

Never saw news ont helineup of the fifth series, but it sounds good.
i've loved the series from day one when i saw it in Toyfare a long time ago. i did skip out on toad and namor though... just didn't do it for me.

this is essentially THE toyline for comics fans.

Jango Fettish

« Reply #4 on: June 9, 2003, 02:25 PM »
Well, so far I've got the follwing, in a rotation:

*Cap
*Iron Man (reg)
*Hulk w/ Shirt
*Magneto
*Wolverine
*Daredevil (Movie)
*Doctor Doom

Keeping them company are:
*Venom (New SM Line)
*Spider Man (SM Classics)
*Hobgoblin
*12" Blade - Marvel Studios
*McFarlane Predators 1 + 2

If anyone want's a pic, LMK, I'll snap it.  8)
« Last Edit: June 9, 2003, 04:03 PM by Jango Fettish »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 9, 2003, 02:29 PM »
Also, for anyone who hasn't seen them already...here's a link (thanks again, OCB) to a number of pictures and information about Series IV (you'll have to scroll down a little bit)

http://www.aftimes.com/aslu/slu.shtml

Personally, I think the Beast figure is great....just some of the poses that are possible with that figure....plus, he's always been one of my favorite Marvel characters.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 9, 2003, 04:18 PM »
I started collecting this line after Series 1 came out.  It's quite possibly some of the best work Toy Biz has ever done.  Here's what I've got:

SERIES 1
Captain America
Hulk with articulated hands
Toad
Iron Man
Iron Man (gold variant)

SERIES 2
Human Torch
The Thing
Prince Namor, The Submariner
Doctor Doom
Doombot (just scored him finally, last week)

SERIES 3
Wolverine
Magneto
Thor
Ghost Rider
Daredevil

BEST OF
Iron Man-Stealth Armor
Hulk-blue pants & work shirt

As for the maskless Wolverine, I haven't even seen one in person at a ridiculous show price.  I also passed on The Thing in his trenchcoat.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 9, 2003, 04:46 PM »
Trenchcoat Thing is one of my favorite figs of the line, I'm surprised you passed on it Nick.  

I know that chase/variation pieces irritate a lot of people (and no mask Wolvie is really irritating me right now) but since I have most, I like them.  Being a quasi-reformed MOMC collector it allows me to do both and something similar to what I do with McFarlane Sportspicks.  I get to keep the rare/chase/variant MIMP behind and display the regular figure in front.  A loose one to play with and a carded one for pure display.  Works very nicely with the goalies and with the chase from this line.  That's why I still need to pick up a Dr. Doom regular.  I'm just hoping for a sale, but will probably get burned if I do.  These have sold very,very well up here.  

My yellow DD is an exception though, not mint packaging.  I'm just dang happy to have one though.  Now, find me a black spidey and a no mask wolvie and the world is a happy place.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 9, 2003, 08:54 PM »
You might want to buy a Dr. Doom, and  ASAP.  He was always packed kind of short in the cases.  I think the most I saw of Doom from any case was two figures.

Feedback

Offline Mandalorian Madman

• Youngling
  • He's no good to me at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 9, 2003, 11:51 PM »
yah, this line is great. I held off for as long as I could but once I picked one up it was all over.
JD

"Open them.  All of them."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2003, 06:35 PM »
I don't collect anything except SW, but came across these cool Kubrick pictures of some of the Marvel fellas over at Medicom's site today...

Was Batman Marvel?  No idea really...

Anyone collect the Kubrick stuff too?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2003, 10:36 PM »
I think Scott bought some of the Marvel ones.  I like some of the spidey stuff, but a line has to be drawn somewhere, y'know? ;)

And no, Batman is DC, the vastly inferior line ;)

Dimetrodon.  I stole the list that OCB was updating over at RS.  I'm sure somewhere in those 9 or 10 pages there's a link to the information regarding series V.  Anything could change, but for the time being, I'll take Scott's word for it.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2003, 11:01 AM »
I am having very serious thoughts about picking this line up.  I'm not too worried about variants but do want to get all the regular releases.  Wave II and III shouldn't be a problem as I see them fairly often.  I I'm a little worried about.  I do recall seeing Iron Man and Toad at a KB recently, but haven't seen Hulk and Cap for awhile.  For the Spidey figs, I was thinking about the ultra articulated movie Spidey (unless there is a more comic book version thats similar.  Any ideas, guys?) and I've seen the Hobgoblin pop up from time to time and Morbius I saw recently.

The later waves look to be awesome.  I can't wait to see Colossus and Sabretooth.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2003, 11:14 AM »
Some of the Spiderman figures from Spiderman Classic wave 1 & 2 are still lingering around some KayBee stores.  The red & blue Spidey's in both of those series are pretty good.

As for the Spiderman Classic line, I've got...

SERIES 1
Spiderman (red & blue)
Spiderman (black & white)
Venom

SERIES 2
Spiderman
Daredevil
Rhino

And the carboard backed Spiderman line...

SERIES 2
Hobgoblin

SERIES 4
Venom

SERIES 5
Morbius

I think I might go back and get the Lizard and Doc Ock.  There doesn't seem to be enough reason for me to go back and get every Spiderman.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2003, 11:21 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2003, 11:53 PM »
I'm cursed by Hobgoblin.  Everywhere I go, there he is.  It's like he's stalking me.  Dude, leave me alone, let someone else buy you. I must have seen six in the past week.

New shipments of spidey classics 2 around here still.  Wish they'd bring in some more of #1 so I could get a black spidey.  No series 5 with cardboard, so no Morbius for me yet.  

Get rid of some of those accursed power rangers and damned yugioh toys and there might be room for them. >:(