Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 349664 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #1380 on: March 11, 2012, 01:10 PM »
I picked up "Hunger Games" for my wife as she was looking for something new to read following Twilight and all of that.  She ended up buzzing through the trilogy in a couple of weeks, and loved it.  I've since started reading (finished book one, and just started the second on "Catching Fire"), and have to say it is pretty good.  I understand why everyone compares it to Twilight, but they aren't really anything alike to me.  I don't even see why this is necessarily a "teen" book, aside from some of the characters being teenagers.  It is a pretty dark story (at least so far, with no signs of changing), and pretty cool overall.  Early indications are that the movie could be pretty big at the box office this year too, I know I'm looking forward to seeing it.

As far as this year's Top 5, it is hard to predict what will be first...but in no particular order I'd go with relatively the same movies:

The Avengers
The Dark Knight Rises
The Amazing Spider-Man
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Twilight: Breaking Dawn Pt. 2

There are some dark horses (like Hunger Games, MIB 3, GI Joe, Brave, etc.), and some that are harder to predict (Spidey), but overall it should probably shake out like that.  From what I've read, it sounds like John Carter (budget of $250) is heading towards a pretty bad opening weekend, finishing #2 for the weekend with around $30.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: March 11, 2012, 08:25 PM »
  I understand why everyone compares it to Twilight, but they aren't really anything alike to me.  I don't even see why this is necessarily a "teen" book, aside from some of the characters being teenagers.  It is a pretty dark story (at least so far, with no signs of changing), and pretty cool overall. 

Couldn't be more different from Twilight, other than there's a girl who has mixed emotions about which boy she likes most.  But not in a brooding, curled up fetal, pitiful, disgusting Bella Swan sort of way.  In an "I don't have time for this kind of ****" kind of way.

I've been surprised to find how many men among my friends have read this series and enjoyed it.  I think the movie's going to be huge.  The books are very cinematic anyway, and it looks they've got a near perfect cast.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1382 on: March 11, 2012, 09:16 PM »
My wife and I were talking about why Hunger Games appeals to teenage girls at all...I personally found the story quite depressing and yeah in the end there is a love story...but it is also ultra violent and more a good vs evil in line with all major epic stories.  It definitely has a chance due to that broad (if misplaced) appeal

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: March 11, 2012, 10:07 PM »
I've been surprised to find how many men among my friends have read this series and enjoyed it.  I think the movie's going to be huge.  The books are very cinematic anyway, and it looks they've got a near perfect cast.

I read it on a reco from my wife after they read it for Book Club and couldn't pit it down.  Its a great story IMO and we've already booked tickets for opening weekend with a bunch of friends.  I was less impressed with the final book, but I think the first story is just gold.  If they follow the book closely, I think it will easily crack the top 10 movies in 2012.

I didn't read Twilight, but I did see the first flick.  I don't really get the comparison other than them both being marketed as teen boooks.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: March 12, 2012, 09:52 AM »
Looking forward to Bill & Ted 3   :-\  I guess Keanu is scraping the bottom of the barrel there.

Keanu Reeves confirms they are inching closer to making a new sequel:

"Yeah, we have a script. We're trying to put it together. It's a good script too."

Costar Alex Winter then tweeted this confirmation:

-Script done? Check. -We love it? Check. -Green light? Working on it!
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: March 12, 2012, 10:35 AM »
Looking forward to Bill & Ted 3   :-\

But how can they ever replace Rufus?

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: March 12, 2012, 10:32 PM »
It could relaunch Alex Winter's career!! 
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: March 13, 2012, 12:02 PM »
Got my tickets to See Hunger Games opening night. Can't wait!
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1388 on: March 21, 2012, 12:28 AM »
I saw a preview for something called John Carter being put out by Disney it looks to be a blatant rip off of Avatar and Attack of the Clones mushed together

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/john-carter-loss-expected-200m-205152656.html

Wow...$200 million down the tubes, Avengers should do fine but I think they are taking a risk with Brave...we shall see I guess

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: March 21, 2012, 12:18 PM »
We rented Adventures of Tin Tin this weekend, and I thought it was pretty entertaining.  Nothing mind boggling or anything, but a fun movie nonetheless.  It didn't have quite the "magic" of Raiders, but sort of that same sort of afternoon serial adventure vibe to it that I enjoyed.

We're headed to see the Hunger Games this weekend as well.  My wife got into the series and told me I should try it out, and I've enjoyed it as well.  I'm about 2/3 done with the second book (Catching Fire), and I'm curious to see how the first one translates to the big screen.  The reviews I've seen so far have been very positive, so that's a good sign I guess.  It seems like so many are comparing this to Twilight, and they really are almost nothing alike.  Hopefully that doesn't hurt the movie with the non-tween/teen audience.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: March 21, 2012, 01:45 PM »
Looking forward to The Hunger Games as well - though I didn't think the novels were as amazing as many others did.  Thought it was pretty good and I agree that the heroine is of a much better stock than that mealey-mouthed-mousey Bella - though she is no Lisbeth Salander.  I will probably catch a matinee during the week after the hype dies down a little.  A lot of my interest comes from the fact the it was all filmed in NC - with quite a bit of it done in Charlotte and two miles up the street at the abandoned Phillip Morries plant.  Quite a few of my friends and their children are extras in the District 12/Reaping scenes - so my curiosity is piqued. 
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: March 21, 2012, 08:58 PM »
Yeah, I'm sorry, but comparing The Hunger Games to Twilight is like comparing a McDonald's hamburger to a Kobe beef steak.

The only thing they have in common is they're books about a teenage girl.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: March 21, 2012, 09:38 PM »
I bought the Muppets Blu-Ray today. Never saw it in theaters but I've heard nothing but good things, especially from Former JediDefender Poster Famine.

Looking forward to Hunger Games too. Never read the books but the story sounds interesting and lots of people seem to enjoy them. Plus Jennifer Lawrence is hot. :P
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: March 21, 2012, 10:24 PM »
I think the Hunger games is going to be huge, because of the the universal appeal that the books have. Everyone in my house from 7 year old boy, 13 year old girl to 30 something mom and dad have read the books and all like them in different ways. I am interested in how well that translates to the screen. Sometimes when something is well written and received, the on screen translation leaves a lot to be desired. The third Harry Potter movie comes to mind in this case. I loved that book, but I don't think I will ever watch the movie again because I thought it was such a crappy rendition. The Lord of the Rings movies, however were the best on screen adaptations that I have ever seen, and would watch those movies every week, (sometimes I do, thanks TNT).
     The difference between this being profitable and a blockbuster is if that universal appeal translates to the screen.
I am not a huge in the theatre movie-goer, but I can't wait to see this on the big screen with the family. I can easily endorse anyone on this sight to read the book. I have not met anyone yet who did not enjoy it, in fact most people ravenously tore into the other two books as soon as they finished the first.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: March 22, 2012, 01:15 AM »
Well put.  Less than 48 hours to go for the Friday opener.  I was tempted to haul out the book again this week, but I think I'll enjoy the movie more by not having all the comparisons to the book so fresh in my head.  Here's hoping the translation to the big screen is solid...