Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 349653 times)

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #1470 on: June 18, 2012, 11:18 AM »
I actually thought the movie was a let down, too many plot holes and leaps of faith needed. It just seemed like they had 2 different storylines and neither was ever fully explained.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: June 18, 2012, 01:52 PM »
Spoilery warnings still in effect.....

The Engineers; we never did get a good idea of their motives.  Did they come to Earth to create life or destroy it or for something else and we were just a side effect? Why come back to destroy us? Had we done something other than what they wanted or were we not what they wanted?  And either way, why bother with us rather than just start over somewhere else?  Either way, what was their goal?  Their end game?

My general comment is that I guess to me, I didn't need to know all of this.  If humans come in contact with aliens for the first time, which is sort of what this was, shouldn't it be somewhat confusing and ambiguous?  I found that to be a strength, not a weakness.  Plot holes are one thing, but not understanding an alien's motivation isn't something that is a problem to me.

The Engineer who tried to pilot the ship off the planet appeared to be somewhat different than the Engineer who appeared on Earth.  Was that just evolution or had they been trying to alter themselves and had it partially succeeded?  Was that why we got an early Alien from the Engineer while Shaw popped out a facehugger?  Because, if we had the same DNA, why would we see the start of an acid-blooded, silicon-based life form spring from something based on a carbon-based life form?  Holloway to Shaw to the Engineer?

We don't even know that it was Earth at the beginning.  Could have been any planet, anywhere.  Are they weapons manufacturers or gardeners or something else entirely... that's the fun mystery to me.

What did David know?  By the end it seems like his goal was supposed to be to help Weyland meet the Engineers but up to the point we know that, he seems to know more than anyone else about what to expect on the planet.  Why the experiment with Holloway? Did he read something or know something more about what the Engineers were doing on the planet?  If his real goal was to get Weyland a face to face, why all the off-book stuff?  Also, what did he say to the Engineer at the end? Maybe I'm forgetting now, but I didn't think that was explained either.

David should have known more, he more or less figured out their language.  As for his motives... there was a whole subtext about destroying or being dangerous to your creators / wanting to be free of your creators.  David embodied that for humans the way humans do for engineers.  I agree that it would have been nice to know more of what David was doing, but unclear motives and how to react to them is a key theme for the movie.

Then there was Captain Janek who, with one visit to the labyrinth, suddenly knows that it's a military installation and not, well, anything else.  Maybe that's just deductive reasoning, but the movie seems to make it a key point that we now know this.

His opinion, and given Ridley Scott's comments over the years, probably the right one. 

What was Meredith Vickers really up to?  She said early on that she was there because the Weyland corporation was laying out a lot of money, but what CEO would actually go herself on some mission like this?  So was she really there just because she was the boss or was there some other reason that we didn't know about?  She didn't seem to know that Weyland himself was there yet she had that medical table in her section of the Prometheus as if she knew something we didn't.  Or, I guess she was just paranoid...but that brings me back to why she would go herself.

My guess, to make sure her father didn't come back, like David... again, the motif of getting free of your creators even if it means destroying them.

What effect did the black ooze have on Holloway and Fifield?  It apparently broke up the Engineer on Earth and the worms became some type of...something else. But what were Fifield and Holloway becoming and how did the ooze change Holloway enough that he could plant a facehugger in Shaw?  Again, this comes back to what the Engineers were trying to accomplish with the black ooze, something that we don't have any answers to.

I've read some good theories that the ooze reacts to your intent... it's as good as anything out there, and if you read the movie in those terms, lots of it fits together in terms of the ooze.

It felt, to me, like the entire movie was more set up than anything...like we need to get a sequel out of it in order to really find out what was going on.
   E...

Sure, and there are talks of a trilogy... but if it ended here I'd be happy with it as a mysterious first-encounter type of story.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: June 23, 2012, 11:18 PM »
So...saw Prometheus tonight, and kept thinking back to this thread throughout. I thought it was pretty good overall, sort of started to fall apart a little bit after the whole self-caesarean thing, but solid for the most part.

Most of the previous comments about the surgery etc I could suspend disbelief for, but the biggest plot holes for me were the gap between this film and Alien.

Why is the planet known as LV-426 in the Alien moves but LV-233 (or whatever) in this film? Are we to believe these were not the same planet?

Well, assuming it is the same planet, which I think is logical, then you have to assume the crashed ship from this film is the one the crew of the Nostromo encounters. Which begs the question - how does the Engineer get from the escape pod back to his pilot's chair in the ship, with full flight suit on, AFTER the alien has already burst out of him? Because that's clearly where he is when the crew of the Nostromo board the ship and enter the bridge room. That seems like a big continuity error to me.

So I guess you also have to assume that the alien that burst from the Engineer was the Queen, and she subsequently laid all those hundreds of eggs throughout the ship, asexually somehow?

I think the black ooze was simply a biological weapon the Engineers had created to wipe out life after they had created it previously someplace, for whatever reason. It was a pathogen designed to mutate its host and create a parasitic organism that would essentially destroy everything.

Of course, then you're left with a whole planet full of aliens/facehuggers/eggs, so I don't see how that is an improvement really, but maybe they had a plan for that too.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: June 24, 2012, 07:32 AM »
Not the same planet...
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: September 26, 2012, 10:38 AM »
Ivan Reitman May Just Remake Ghostbusters....

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/25/ivan-reitman-may-just-remake-ghostbusters

After years of "on again/off again" rumors of Ghostbusters 3, it sounds like Reitman may be getting frustrated with the whole process and just reboot the whole thing.  I guess in a way I can see it (casting some of today's popular comedic actors most likely), but as a big fan of the original I'm not sure how I feel about it.  But, they're redoing a lot of those 80s franchises (TV and movie) these days, so I can see why they would.  Growing up, I loved the original (and still do), but wasn't ever that hot on Ghostbusters 2.  It would be interesting to see what they would do though.  I've also read some rumors that they are thinking about rebooting Gremlins as well, another 80s franchise I grew up with.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: September 26, 2012, 10:59 AM »
Always wished GB3 would have surfaced with the original cast to hand down to a new cast, but look how long the new Indy movie took to come out.  Harrison Ford ain't so young anymore, but GB was more comedy obviously so that doesn't really matter.

Gremlins would be a neat reboot - I guess.  1st one was cool, but the 2nd (batch) was a little over the top.

The new Robocop.... eh.....
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: September 26, 2012, 12:42 PM »
How are we suppose to tell the difference between Robocop and Batman now?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: October 1, 2012, 10:23 AM »
Caught Looper yesterday.  Meh - It started out good and looked promising, but the movie took a wrong turn for me during the last 40-50 mins.  They did a good job of making JGL look not like JGL, but he did not look like a young Bruce Willis to me.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: October 1, 2012, 05:34 PM »
How are we suppose to tell the difference between Robocop and Batman now?

There's a difference?

Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: October 10, 2012, 07:25 PM »
i just hope he has the leg holster thing, i always thot that was cool as a kid
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: November 5, 2012, 12:30 PM »
Went to see Wreck It Ralph this weekend.  I really liked it.  Way too many VG references to absorb in one viewing.  Lots of fun!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: November 9, 2012, 05:18 PM »
Went to see Wreck It Ralph this weekend.  I really liked it.  Way too many VG references to absorb in one viewing.  Lots of fun!

Same here.  We caught this last Saturday, and loved it.  Lots of old schooly video game references which I liked.  I won't ruin some of the references here for those who haven't seen it yet, but it reminded me of some games from my childhood that I had completely forgotten.  Fun movie.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: November 15, 2012, 02:48 PM »
after months of skimming this thread to avoid spoilers, i finally watchedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-x1YuvUQFJ0 Prometheus last night.

Yeah.

All of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=-x1YuvUQFJ0
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1483 on: November 15, 2012, 04:28 PM »
I saw Prometheus through Netflix and I can absolutely see why it gets such divided reactions.  There were some really stupid moments.  If you're willing to tolerate those then you could probably enjoy other elements.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: November 18, 2012, 02:02 PM »
Saw "Lincoln" yesterday. EXCELLENT!!!!!
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within