Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 349656 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #1680 on: March 22, 2016, 10:04 AM »
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: June 26, 2016, 10:07 AM »
Saw Independence Day: Resurgence - the "B" Cinemascore rating is generous IMHO. The 33%/41% ratings on Rotten Tomatoes is much more appropriate.

The movie is an absolute mess and was SO focused on getting to the next sequel that it made this movie have more of a "ok, on to the next goal" feel that it sucks any and all enjoyment out of the flick.

There is one major plot point that, for anyone who watches it reads sci-fi will see coming a mile away and end up leaving you wondering why the timing has ended up occurring this way, even though it's given a very weak explanation (I don't want to say more for fear of spoiling things).

I'm starting to think that Will Smith might have been on to something when he turned down this movie, especially if he read the script, and that's from the guy who starred in "After Earth".

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: June 27, 2016, 12:20 AM »
I saw ID4 2 Friday night, and I agree, it was an awful, awful movie. Like every sequel nowadays, they kept throwing in references to the old movie, or even downright re-doing certain scenes! 20 years this, 20 years that, 7300 days ago, we get it, the original movie came out 20 years ago!

And the PACING. One of the worst paced movies I think I've ever seen. I don't recall ever seeing a movie that built up so many major battles and then showed hardly any action.

Too much focus on the awful new characters, all of whom were comedic. It's like if TFA had Rey fall in love with Finn simply because the script called for it. And if Daisy Ridley and John Boyega had no charisma or talent.

This thing is heading for a Batman vs Superman level bomb and I hope it kills all plans for the sequel.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: June 27, 2016, 11:09 AM »
Was that... ball thing... a nod to the animated Transformers Movie's Matrix of Leadership or was it just me?  They even opened it with giant robot arms.

This movie was middling at best.  I think TFA has/will inspire a lot of tepid sequels to long-adored films that trade too heavily on nostalgia.  The best part was when they offed the stripper with a heart of gold from the first film. 

I also watched 10 Cloverfield Lane yesterday.  I though it was pretty good.  Nice suspense.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: June 27, 2016, 08:12 PM »
The best part was when they offed the stripper with a heart of gold from the first film. 

Why was she even in this movie? Just so they could establish that the new character was indeed her son grown up from the first movie? The photo in his locker was enough to establish that, they didn't need to establish that she had moved up from stripper to hospital administrator only to be killed off 20 years later when the aliens return.

And since everyone has had a chance to see it, in my initial post I was alluding to the appearance of the ball-ship and the ball-shaped entity. This thing harbors refugees from other planets where these "locust" (borrowing from the description President Pullman uses in the first movie) aliens have attacked and just now waited until 20 years later to come to Earth and try to help?

And it was that ball-shaped entity that made the queen of the new mother ship even more bent on coming to Earth and destroying it?

And of course, what do we dumb humans do, even AFTER the leading expert on the locust alien tech says "that ship does not match any of the technology of the locust aliens"? We shoot it down and basically destroy the one thing that could have helped humanity take its defenses to the next level.

Just a stupid, contrived movie through-and-through. I hope the exec at Fox who green-lit this disaster was packing up their office today as they have ZERO business being in the movie industry and deciding what is good and worth making into a big budget summer popcorn flick.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: June 28, 2016, 10:21 AM »
Caught Finding Dory last night. I enjoyed it well enough, but it wasn't nearly as good as Finding Nemo. Still better than 90% of the garbage that has come out recently.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: June 28, 2016, 11:16 PM »
I caught a sneak preview of the Secret Life of Pets with the family this weekend.  Not a big animated film guy, or a big pet fan, but it was pretty good.  They nail the nuances of each animal and it was pretty funny throughout.  Snowball definitely stole the show.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: July 1, 2016, 01:39 AM »

Nuf' said.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #1688 on: July 3, 2016, 01:27 AM »
They probably put 100 times more effort into creating that poster than they did the plot.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: July 13, 2016, 05:54 PM »
I thought Independence Day Resurgence was okay. By okay, I meaning entertaining but stupider than it should have been.  It is a Roland Emmerich movie, after all, and they are always stupid on some level.

The accountant character was probably the most grating character. I kept hoping the African warlord would take his head off.

The Judd Hirsch bits were pointless.

It was almost a Robotech Macross movie...humans adapting tech from alien craft. If there was a third film it would be Star Blazers.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #1690 on: September 29, 2016, 06:48 PM »
I went and saw The Magnificent Seven last night.  One of the best movies I've seen this year.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: September 30, 2016, 10:48 AM »
I went and saw The Magnificent Seven last night.  One of the best movies I've seen this year.

I thought it was pretty good too if you like westerns.  Solid characters and story, though it's a fairly slow build to the big action at the end.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: October 28, 2016, 09:33 AM »
I did not realize there was a "Remastered" version of PHANTASM done by none other than JJ Abrams. I caught it last night, an outstanding restoration. They really cleaned up the print and punched up the soundtrack, which was epic to begin with. Great way to kick off my weekend of Halloween horror movies!  ;D
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #1693 on: December 19, 2016, 10:46 AM »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: December 19, 2016, 10:55 AM »
I was a little late in getting to the theater for my ROGUE ONE screening.  I wound up walking in during the extended clip for Dunkirk.  WHOA.

Stephen Spielberg definitely raised the bar in terms of realism in a war film with Saving Private Ryan, and Terrence Malick's The Thin Red Line had a great deal of gravitas, too.  But I think that Christopher Nolan may have taken things a step further in his portrayal of the British retreat from France in 1940.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback