Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 354991 times)

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #300 on: August 22, 2005, 01:16 AM »
I caught "The 40 Year Old Virgin" yesterday. Pretty crude most of the time, like a grown man's "American Pie", and I found myself having to wade through a lot to find something to laugh at. The whole doing away with the massive action figure collection was fun to see, atleast.

As for movies worth seeing in theatres, I've seen 31 movies thus far, and there have been some great ones, well worth the money, IMO.

The Amityville Horror (2005)
Batman Begins
Devils Rejects, The
Four Brothers
High Tension
Hustle and Flow
Kung Fu Hustle
March of the Penguins
Million Dollar Baby
Red Eye
Sin City

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 22, 2005, 09:42 AM »
We considered going to see "40 Year Old Virgin" this weekend, but didn't end up going.  It has been getting pretty good reviews from what I have seen, and I do usually enjoy Steve Carrell as well.  We might still end up seeing it, but if we don't we'll just rent it on DVD.  We haven't seen a movie for a little while now, with Wedding Crashers being the last "theatre" movie we've seen I think.  I still would like to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but the Mrs. isn't quite as enthused to see that.  Part of me wanted to see Dukes of Hazzard despite the terrible reviews, just because I grew up on the show, but I'm guessing that will be a rental.  Other than that, I don't know that there will be much in the way of movie going until the next Harry Potter in November.  I kind of thought about seeing the Brothers Grimm this weekend, but I don't really know too much about it (or if it would be any good).  Other than that, movies will probably be put off until later in the year now (Potter, Narnia, Kong).  Like Scott said, its been kind of a rough year for movies, which is too bad.  I always enjoy going to the theatre to see a movie, I've just always enjoyed the "movie experience" like that.  It does seem like there has been quite a few "bombs" this year though, by box office standards.  I think that ROTS, Batman Begins, WOTW, Wedding Crashers, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory were the biggest successes, and it is a fairly steep drop off after that.  Oh, and Mr. and Mrs. Smith, that movie quitely did pretty well it seems.  Hopefully the end of the year will come around again with some great movies.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #302 on: August 22, 2005, 09:49 AM »
I've seen:

Sideways
Sin City
ROTS
Herbie Fully Loaded
War of the Worlds
Fantastic Four
Batman Begins

Whee :P

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 22, 2005, 10:22 AM »
Had to "wade through a lot to find something to laugh at"????

No way we saw the same movie  ::) 40 Year Old Virgin was the funniest movie I've seen in a LOOONG time. It's no Devil's Rejects, but I guess that says it all right there  ;D

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 22, 2005, 10:59 AM »
So, you're going to give me a hard time because I don't like crass humor? That's pretty shallow. Steve Carrell's a funny guy, but this last one didn't do much for me, personally. Granted, "Ring 2" was funnier, albeit unintentionally, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" was more my style. You know, that "British humor" nobody seems to understand, but is quick to dismiss?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 11:02 AM by Cine »

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 22, 2005, 01:04 PM »
Just don't have any clue why you would have gone to see a movie titled "The 40 Year Old Virgin" and not expect it to be crass.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 22, 2005, 02:19 PM »
I expected a certain level of indecency, but it went above and beyond that even. Sight gags and the unnecessarily colorful conversations, in particular. I never said I didn't like the movie, it's just all the trash that the supporting cast (whom I hated, save Paul Rudd) really took away from Steve's performance, IMO.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 22, 2005, 08:50 PM »
Saw 40 Year Old Virgin today and I liked it. 
Spoilers
The whole bedroom with the toys on the bed made me laugh so hard.  Be careful they won't be worth as much if you damage the package.   :P
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 08:52 PM by JayDouble »

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 24, 2005, 09:08 AM »
What's up with all the ******* quotation marks?
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 24, 2005, 10:29 AM »
This Year I've seen:

ROTS
Batman Begins
Fantastic Four
Madagascar (It sucked)

Pretty pathetic eh?

Movies that are coming out soon I want to see

HP 4
King Kong
Superman Returns
Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Origin

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 24, 2005, 07:57 PM »
I came across this link on another forum I frequent. This looks like the stupidest movie ever made. Snakes on a Plane? Lucas must have scammed Jackson out of a lot of money for him to stoop to doing a movie this dumb.

Either that or Hollywood has run out of stuff to scrape from the bottom of the barrel.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: October 27, 2005, 03:39 PM »
I was just looking at the year's box office so far over at BoxOfficeMojo to see how ROTS is doing (which, is officially "closed" on their site as of 10/20).  I thought the top 10 for the year is somewhat surprising, in some cases.  I'm sure this will change once we see movies like Harry Potter, Narnia, and Kong released in the next couple months.  Here's the top 10 as of today:

1. Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith - $380,270,577
2. War of the Worlds - $234,061,527
3. Wedding Crashers - $207,823,254
4. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - $205,698,689
5. Batman Begins - $205,328,644
6. Madagascar - $193,202,933
7. Mr. and Mrs. Smith - $186,171,803
8. Hitch - $179,495,555
9. The Longest Yard - $158,119,460
10. Fantastic Four - $154,494,641

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 5, 2005, 09:47 AM »
I saw 7 out of those top 10, 6 of which on opening night.

I'm sick.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 12, 2005, 10:05 PM »
Go see Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. Not only because it's a fun and twisted movie with brilliant dialogue, but because Warner Brothers is refusing to promote it because they hate it.

Within 24 hours I saw 3 movies this weekend. Friday night was Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang, this morning was The Chronicals of Narnia and the afternoon was Chicken Little with my Daughter.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 12, 2005, 10:49 PM »
The Chronicals of Narnia doesn't open up for another month?  How'd you see it already?  That seems pretty far off for there to be advanced screenings already.