Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 352499 times)

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #330 on: December 31, 2005, 12:07 PM »
Because of the kids, my wife and I don't get to go to the movies together often. Anyway, she saw King Kong last night and though it was one of the best movies she's ever seen.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Stim

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 1, 2006, 02:41 AM »
Wow.  I'm amazed everyone is liking King King so much.  I was MAJORLY disappointed.  No one else thought it was like an hour too long?  And...

SPOLIERS AHEAD...

I honestly would have walked out in the middle "Remake of Jurassic Park" hour if I didn't want to see the NYC ending...and then I really wished I DID walk out when I got to the whole Central Park "twirling on the ice" scene.  People in the theater I was in were laughing during that scene...and everyone went hysterical at the whole "Beauty killed the beast" line.

What did everyone like about it so much?  Are people really still entertained by 20-min raptor and brontosaurus action sequences?  I mean, Jurassic Park was like 10 years ago.  And did you really care about the cook?  Or the kid?  It all played like a disaster movie parody to me...introduce like 10 people you know are going to slowly die off...and then watch them slowly die off.

And what they did to the Denham character was a travesty.  What were his stakes?  What was his arc?  In the original, Denham was this fearless adventurer who finally met his match, and his unwillingness to realize his limits and flaws led to his, his crew's and his city's downfall.  Denham's Jack Black, on the other hand, started out a ****-up, ****** everyone else up, and then ended the movie a ****-up.   

Sorry for the rant...I just was really pissed after seeing this one.  And I honestly don't know anyone else who liked it except for you guys on this board.  I'm just wondering what worked for everyone...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 1, 2006, 02:49 AM »
and everyone went hysterical at the whole "Beauty killed the beast" line.

That line was in the original script/movie, sounds like they have not seen the original flick.

I will say that it was alot better than King Kong 1976 and King Kong Lives 1986. Both garbage...

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 2, 2006, 11:28 AM »
Wow.  I'm amazed everyone is liking King King so much.  I was MAJORLY disappointed.  No one else thought it was like an hour too long?  And...

SPOLIERS AHEAD...

I honestly would have walked out in the middle "Remake of Jurassic Park" hour if I didn't want to see the NYC ending...and then I really wished I DID walk out when I got to the whole Central Park "twirling on the ice" scene.  People in the theater I was in were laughing during that scene...and everyone went hysterical at the whole "Beauty killed the beast" line.

What did everyone like about it so much?  Are people really still entertained by 20-min raptor and brontosaurus action sequences?  I mean, Jurassic Park was like 10 years ago.  And did you really care about the cook?  Or the kid?  It all played like a disaster movie parody to me...introduce like 10 people you know are going to slowly die off...and then watch them slowly die off.

And what they did to the Denham character was a travesty.  What were his stakes?  What was his arc?  In the original, Denham was this fearless adventurer who finally met his match, and his unwillingness to realize his limits and flaws led to his, his crew's and his city's downfall.  Denham's Jack Black, on the other hand, started out a ****-up, ****** everyone else up, and then ended the movie a ****-up.   

Sorry for the rant...I just was really pissed after seeing this one.  And I honestly don't know anyone else who liked it except for you guys on this board.  I'm just wondering what worked for everyone...

We'll save this conversation for whet we actually meet. ;) I definately think the movie is flawed, but I did get caught up in the adventure of it.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 2, 2006, 12:31 PM »
I saw Munich last night.

SPOILER WARNING and all....

I thought the movie was very good on the whole, and I thought that it was respectful and raw and well directed and convincing and so on.

But that scene where they cut back and forth between the Munich slaughter and Eric Bana having sex with his wife was the most melodramatic waste of film I've ever seen.  It was completly out of place, utterly ridiculous, and stood as the biggest blemish on an otherwise very good movie.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #335 on: January 2, 2006, 12:35 PM »
I'm going to have to wait for King Kong to go on DVD, I think - the length alone has me thinking I'd prefer to buy it and enjoy a potty break, than to buy a ticket and miss something on a potty break.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 5, 2006, 05:56 PM »
I've already got my tickets to go see Hostel tomorrow night... anyone else interested in this flick? I hope it's good...

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 5, 2006, 09:52 PM »
Looking forward to it, but with no expectations.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 5, 2006, 09:55 PM »
Going tomorrow as well - with high expectations.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 5, 2006, 10:00 PM »
I'm going to see Casonova.  :-[

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #340 on: January 12, 2006, 03:15 AM »
Clerks 2 teaser.

Man, I hope this doesn't suck. This teaser didn't look too bad, but it only had like ten words total in it.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 12, 2006, 03:39 AM »
Going tomorrow as well - with high expectations.

Eli Roth has given me nothing to base ANY expectations on, except that of that he won't give us anything original, which was the case with "Hostel", which I saw this past Monday. Interesting storyline marred with unnecessary and tasteless acts, and an overabundance of needless sex and misogeny.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 12, 2006, 01:01 PM »
Clerks 2 teaser.

Man, I hope this doesn't suck. This teaser didn't look too bad, but it only had like ten words total in it.

How could that possibly suck? I've been eagerly awaiting the return of Randall since the first film... I can't wait for this to open.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #343 on: January 12, 2006, 01:13 PM »
After seeing Jersey Girl, my confidence in Kevin Smith's films has been shaken.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 16, 2006, 12:44 PM »
After seeing Jersey Girl, my confidence in Kevin Smith's films has been shaken.

Believe it of not, Jersey Girl is the first Kevin Smith film I ever saw, and I actually liked it, but I think I'm bias because I have kids and could totally relate to some of the stuff going on. I have since seen clerks, which I thought was genius.

I saw Brokeback Mountain Saturday and am sorry to say I can't recommend it. I think all the publicity it's getting is somewhat unjustified. The performances were great, Heath Ledger was amazing and there wasn't a bad actor in the bunch. Ang Lee also made the story gorgeous, but the problem I had was that I couldn't get on board with the relationship. It barely seemed motivated and it's the crux of the story.