Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 349716 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #750 on: July 25, 2008, 08:24 AM »
They're both official.  I saw True Blood's a week ago, and Jennifer's Body's a couple days ago, on separate sites.  I'm more intrigued by True Blood... almost makes me want to subscribe to HBO.  But I'll probably just rent the series when it comes to Blu-ray.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 25, 2008, 09:22 AM »

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 25, 2008, 10:35 AM »
Jim Hill Media is reporting Tron 2 is in production. A clip was shown at Comiccon last night!

Disney screens proof-of-concept footage for "TR2N"
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 28, 2008, 08:42 AM »
Sound is a bit choppy but what do expect for bootlegs, this has my interest.

TR2N ComicCon 2008 teaser

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 28, 2008, 10:22 AM »
Just viewed my Netflix for the weekend; The Kite Runner and The Golden Compass. I can't say enough good things about the The Kite Runner. It was just an awesome film, and I definitely recommend it to everyone.

I wasn't expecting much from the Golden Compass, but it was quite entertaining. I didn't like how it abruptly ended, but other than that, very enjoyable. I'll be looking forward to all the sequels.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 28, 2008, 10:26 AM »

OMG!!! Disney sooo needs to release that!!  :o

There is the answer to what do with Disneyland's PeopleMover ride.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 28, 2008, 10:32 AM »

I wasn't expecting much from the Golden Compass, but it was quite entertaining. I didn't like how it abruptly ended, but other than that, very enjoyable. I'll be looking forward to all the sequels.

If you read the books, you'd find out that the Golden Compass ends with Lord Asriel killing Roger and Lyra walking into the city. Not a very happy ending. I guess we will never see that since it doesn't look very likely we will be seeing the Subtle Knife. Too bad too since that is a better story.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 28, 2008, 01:18 PM »
I read the trilogy that Golden Compass was based on.  Hated it.  Sucked.  The first book was really pretty good, the second had some interesting stuff in it but the third, and the way  it ended, was not only a chore to get through but the ending was a complete and total letdown.

I have no idea how they'd even begin to make films of the second two novels interesting.  The book was so disappointing that not only did I skip the GC, I wouldn't have bothered to see the others if made.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: July 28, 2008, 04:24 PM »

If you read the books, you'd find out that the Golden Compass ends with Lord Asriel killing Roger and Lyra walking into the city. Not a very happy ending. I guess we will never see that since it doesn't look very likely we will be seeing the Subtle Knife. Too bad too since that is a better story.

Hey! You're not supposed to give away details yet!  >:( ;)

Regardless, I enjoyed the Golden Compass and would probably enjoy any other movies, even if they're less than warm and fuzzy.

One thing that did sort of bother me was that the movie started out being more innocent (for lack of a better word) and aimed toward children, but then turned much darker and had many elements (unnecessary elements, I believe) that aren't appropriate for the younger folk. As I was watching, I was thinking how my daughters would enjoy it (especially with Lyra being a very strong, intelligent girl), but then people started being killed, the bear was a heavy drinker, children were being abuse, etc. and, well, I realized it wasn't a kids (at least little kids) movie afterall. It's hard to find a good movie for kids that isn't dumbed down or animated. Yeah, I've gotten off a tangent...

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: July 28, 2008, 05:22 PM »
The Subtle Knife gets even darker where the war between the angels and God starts to get into gear. Lots of people are killed and there are more monsters. There is alot of moving between worlds and lot more action. You don't even see Lord Asriel or Nicole Kidman's character very much because it's all about Lyra and a new boy she meets. Roger's death is very meaningful in the next two books. The books are definately worth reading even though the third book gets a little weird and doesn't quite payoff the way I was hoping.

According to many news reports, New Line Media doesn't think the Golden Compass made enough money to continue the next two movies. Golden Compass made $372 million worldwide against a $180 million budget, but when you add in marketing costs and all the rest, it's safe to say that this didn't come close to doubling its money. Besides, there was a huge amount of criticism based on the anti-God and anti-religion claims from scholars and the Vatican. This is kind of funny because this stuff doesn't come into play until the midway thru the second and all of the third books. Finally, there is no preproduction date for the Subtle Knife.

It sounds like New Line is trying to avoid a Prince Caspian-type situation.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #760 on: August 2, 2008, 03:35 PM »
If you're a horror fan, it'd be worth your effort to find a theater playing Midnight Meat Train.  It opened this weekend direct to dollar theaters, at only 100 locations in the country.  I read a story a while ago about how the new head of the distributor had just produced a competing horror film which MMT was supposed to open against.  So out of spite he delayed MMT so his film would do better.  His film bombed.  So as not to be shown up, he pushed MMT to August in a very limited release.

Doing so, he basically doomed what is an excellent horror film.  It's the best one I've seen in a long while.  Very thrilling.  Very engaging.  The acting is was excellent about 85% of the time, which is well above average for the genre.  The gore might be too extreme for some people (the girlfriend of one of the guys in front of me stood up and left during one of the more extreme attacks), but if you're into that sort of thing it's fantastic.  It's very grim and doesn't play or end like your typical horror film.  But if horror is your thing, you'll be very happy you went to see it.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: August 3, 2008, 11:11 AM »

Gone now.  Anyone *ahem* help a dude out?
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: August 3, 2008, 11:27 AM »

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: August 3, 2008, 11:33 AM »
Cool, thanks.

That was pretty sweet.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #764 on: August 4, 2008, 02:15 AM »
Very cool.  I'm sure the FX team is glad they don't have to hand paint the negative like they did with the first Tron!   ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.