Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 349684 times)

Offline Darthshader

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TradeFederation.net
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #135 on: December 8, 2004, 12:32 PM »
Some moments of Blade 3 were enjoyable, but the humor didn't do it for me. The story completely came apart, and did not flow well at all. No character development, and many loose ends. Even the fight scenes were boring.

What happened? Perhaps some good stuff got chopped on the editing board? Blade 1 & 2 had good solid storylines and characters, Blade 3 was just sloppy.

This had become one of my favorite movie series, I am really bummed I did not enjoy the last chapter as much.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 16, 2004, 02:50 PM »
This is "sort of" movie news, but I didn't want to start its own thread for it.  Saw this little article over at SSG, with DiCaprio commenting on turning down parts in Star Wars and Spider-Man.  Sounds like he feels he is "above" the work:

DiCaprio Slams Spider-Man and Star Wars Roles
Posted by SirSteve on Dec 16, 04.    
LEONARDO DiCAPRIO was offered the roles of SPIDER-MAN and STAR WARS hero ANAKIN SKYWALKER, but turned them down because they failed to pass his "passion test".

The TITANIC hunk complains 92 per cent of the parts he's offered are appalling, and he was so disappointed by the SPIDER-MAN and STAR WARS: EPISODE I - THE PHANTOM MENACE scripts, he immediately rejected the blockbusters.

He explains, "Yeah, I turned down Anakin and Spider-Man straight away. I read almost all of the scripts but 92 per cent, to give you a precise number, are pure crap.

"If they're not able to get close to what you feel you deserve, you wonder who's financing it and backing it. Usually when I want to do something, I know immediately, and then I do it."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although I know there have been complaints with the prequels, and with the different Anakins, but hopefully ROTS will be able to redeem both Hayden Christiansen and the Star Wars prequels on some level.  Also, I think the Spider-Man movies both did pretty well critically and commercially, and personally I couldn't imagine anyone else playing Peter Parker/Spidey than Tobey Maguire, and especially couldn't really see Leo DiCaprio in that particular role.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2004, 03:00 PM »
If he would have gotten the part of Anakin, millions of Fanboys around the world would have impaled themselves on their replica lightsabers in protest.  He was coming off Titanic and was at the height of being a heartthrob.  I think Lucas would have hired him too if he wanted the part.

I think Hayden is actually good, I've some other stuff he's been in and he's actually a decent actor.  I think the person who really struggles with it all is Natalie.  She was totally emotionless in EpI and then not very realistic in her compassion in EpII (I didn't think)

The star of the Prequels as far as I'm concerned is Ewan, he's been amazing and it'll be neat to see him grow from young Obi to hermit Obi over the course of the 7 years

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2004, 03:06 PM »
Personally, I have nothing against Leo and I actually enjoy some of his movies. And I think he's a pretty damn good actor.  Catch Me if You Can I like, but hated Titanic.  The only redeeming quality of that **** fest (besides Kate Winslet's boobies) was the boat sinking and I had to wait through two hours of romantic tripe to get to it.

And if he did get the Anakin part, can you imagine the uproar fanboys would have?  Some bitched and moaned about the Nstink boys possible .0005 millisecond cameo.  The latest "pretty boy" is cast, people would have gone ape ****.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 16, 2004, 03:19 PM »
I think Hayden is actually good, I've some other stuff he's been in and he's actually a decent actor.  I think the person who really struggles with it all is Natalie.  She was totally emotionless in EpI and then not very realistic in her compassion in EpII (I didn't think)

The star of the Prequels as far as I'm concerned is Ewan, he's been amazing and it'll be neat to see him grow from young Obi to hermit Obi over the course of the 7 years.

I couldn't agree more.  I really think that Ewan McGregor was the perfect choice for Obi Wan Kenobi.  Until Chewbacca comes on the scene in the next movie, he has been my favorite character of the prequels...and Ewan is definitely my favorite actor in these three movies.  He does a nice job...and really does in his other work that I've seen as well.

I also agree with you about Hayden.  I think that he is a pretty good actor, and actually was quite acclaimed for his role in "Shattered Glass" (which I haven't seen personally).  We have seen (and actually own) the movie "Life as a House", which we felt was very good...and he did a very nice job in that as well.  I have high hopes for him in ROTS, he'll really have a chance to show his stuff I think.  A lot of the acting in the prequels I blame more on Lucas than on the actors themselves.

I also agree with Mikey, I don't really have anything personal against Leo, he can be a great actor as well.  I'm not his biggest fan, but did enjoy movies like Catch Me If You Can...and he is awesome in What's Eating Gilbert Grape.  He's definitely got talent, no doubt there.  I just don't like when actors...any actors...feel like they are "above" doing movies like Star Wars, or "Superhero" movies.  If it is a big goofy bomb of a movie, I can understand turning it down....but the recent comic adaptations have been pretty good for the most part, and very well received...and Star Wars movies are iconic.  I guess I enjoy seeing the attitudes like I first heard of Samuel Jackson around the time of the Phantom Menace.  He just wanted to be in it...even just "Stormtrooper 7th from the left"....just to be in a Star Wars movie.  Sometimes people get too grown up ;), its ok to do a movie that is just fun :).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 03:28 PM by mosnab »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #140 on: December 16, 2004, 03:27 PM »
Which is why Sam Jackson is da bomb :)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 17, 2004, 06:03 PM »
Speaking of Leonardo DiCaprio, anyone going to check out The Aviator ?

I'm not a big fan of DiCaprio but playing Howard Hughes peeks my intrest. Seems the reviews so far are great & it's Oscar material.

Review: 'Aviator' a breathtaking epic

I'll be taking in the flick over the holidays.  8)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2004, 12:42 PM »
Saw Ocean's 12 this weekend.  I thought it was alright.  Not spectacular.  Involving Julia Roberts in the whole thing was a mistake.  Plus they had way too many plots going I thought.  Nowhere near as good as the first one which I thought was decent

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 20, 2004, 01:11 PM »
Julia Roberts is a mistake.  Sorry, but I've never enjoyed any of her work.  Yeah, she looked pretty good in Pretty Woman, but I hated that movie too.  Something about her really irritates me.  Is she short? :P

As far as DiCaprio goes I'd suggest it's just image stuff he's trying to keep up.  He is a decent actor (I'm proud to say that I've never seen Titanic and nor has my wife) but people get smug at times.  Spiderman I & II has been a great series.  He should be so lucky to be in those movies.  Star Wars?  It's meant to be campy fun, something that Jackson clearly gets, I just wish Lucas would re-grasp the concept. 

My opinion on Christensen has done an excellent job of Anakin.  He plays the petulance and brooding part very well, IMO.  The chip on his shoulder is almost palpable and he just looks downright sour.  The pre-production shots of him with long hair are nicely similar to Mark Hamill so the family resemblance factor is in place.  Those Skywalkers are all just whiny little *****, ain't they? 

McGregor has been fine for Obi as well, at least to me.  He's done a nice job of being that really anal sort of character that Obi needs to be.  If I have a complaint about him, it's that his character (not McGregor's) fault hasn't really shown much compassion like Sir Alec's version did.  Might just be the passing of time thing, or something lacking in the script, but the original Obi seemed like a nice, old man.  Ewan's Obi seems to be overly tightly wrapped.  This is not to say he has not pulled it off magnificently. 

I completely agree with Scott on Portman.  A beautiful young woman, no doubt.  But she was wooden in the first and only slightly less wooden in the second.  I confess to not having seen her in other roles, but is it poor scripting or poor acting?  She seems personable enough in interviews.  I realize the role requires a certain amount of decorum, but really, even when the scenes were 'relaxed' in nature, she still seemed stilted.  Only a couple of times could I actually bear seeing her on screen.  Everything past the time they leave Tatooine was fine, prior to that was painful.  And btw, she runs horribly.  That scene after she falls out of the ship while chasing Dooku, then gets up and runs?  Bwahahahaha.  Please tell me that was cgi.  Not an overly coordinated/athletic woman it would seem.  Just an observation, not meant as a criticism. 

Changing topics entirely, don't waste money on The Flight of the Phoenix.  Interesting enough that I didn't look at my watch, but waiting for the video will not cause any undue pain and it'll probably be out in about six weeks.  Interested to see the original though. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2005, 01:56 PM »
So, I'm headed out this afternoon (with my wife, the in-laws, sis-in-law, niece, and nephew) to catch the 5:00 showing of "Robots".

It's not a movie I would normally pick to see, but taking the niece and nephew should make it more entertaining as well as the promise of a certain film trailer...  ;)

If they don't show the RotS trailer before the movie, there will be hell to pay, that's for sure.   >:(

If they do show it, I'll probably forget to pay attention to Robots and just day-dream abiout watching the preview again...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 11, 2005, 02:32 PM »
You are a sick sick man.  :P

Tell me how Robots was, would ya?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #146 on: March 14, 2005, 09:48 AM »
So, I saw Robots on Friday.

It was actually much better than I was counting on, so that was a nice surprise.

The previews before the movie were fantastic though!  Here's a quick rundown of what we saw:

Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Herbie - Fully Loaded
Sin City
Ice Age 2
Revenge of the Sith

First time in a long time I liked every preview they gave us.

Back to Robots, it was pretty good.  A fun story, an easy message, not too preachy, and the animation was pretty good.

I'd say, if you like other stuff Fox has done (Ice Age) you'll probably like Robots too (although Robin Williams is a little bit too much at times - you're zany Mork, we get it  ::)).

Jeff

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 14, 2005, 09:59 AM »
We actually went out to see Robots this weekend too, and we enjoyed it as well.  I'm always a fan of these animated movies, and this one was actually better than I expected it to be too.  It was really cool seeing the ROTS trailer on the big screen, and my wife said "it gives you chills" watching it...couldn't have described it better.  For some reason, our theatre chain down here only does 2 trailers before movies now...which is a little disappointing because I've always enjoyed watching trailers...the other one we got was "Fever Pitch" with Jimmy Fallon and Drew Barrymore.  Didn't look like anything spectacular, but it might be funny.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #148 on: March 14, 2005, 10:00 AM »
Herbie has Lindsay Lohan in it, does it not?  I may have to bring Max to see that one :o :)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #149 on: March 14, 2005, 10:17 AM »
Herbie has Lindsay Lohan in it, does it not?  I may have to bring Max to see that one :o :)

Yeah, and she is wearing a racing/NASCAR "trim" fitting jumpsuit in the preview if that makes a difference to ya.   ;)

You can watch the preview here:
http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/herbiefullyloaded.html

Herbie actually looked pretty good.  Quite a few additions to Herbie's abilities thanks to CGI, but I think they capture the 70s/80s Herbie very well.  Glad to see he's basically the same car with a few CGI modifications and not some new style Beetle or anything.

Should be a fun summer movie...

Jeff