Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 353536 times)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #270 on: July 31, 2005, 06:45 AM »
In the past week:

Wedding Crashers- Entertaining and funny, very refreshing compared to some of its contemporaries.

The Devils Rejects- Great sequel to House of 1000 Corpses; really came out of it satisfied (I'm sorta violence jaded) and hoping Rob Zombie makes more movies.

Stealth- What a fun movie for a military enthusiast! Lots of little bits that make it worth it really (North Korean uniforms/tech). I didn't really feel for any of the characters, other than EDI. Brings up the interesting question of artifical life that's been raised in other films like I, Robot and AI.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 31, 2005, 08:51 PM »
Stealth looked like it would be the worst movie of the summer to me, i'll prolly see it on tv or dvd..
The concept of AI taking over is a Tired story...

good to know wedding crashers is good, I wanna see that. Also want to see Bad News Bears... which I hear isn't great but by no means bad.

Has anyone seen Sky High yet, seems to be getting some good reviews. 

I want to see that.. but really only cuz I love comics, and super hero stuff. And because they used real citizens. haha.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 08:52 PM by Dimetrodon »

Offline Loopy_Leia

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 31, 2005, 11:24 PM »
I went skimming through all 19 pages and found some movies that I have seen that I would like to comment on:

Starksy & Hutch - was actually funny.  I love Owen Wilson.  I didn't expect it to be as good as it was.  Of course, it had it's stupid parts, what movie doesn't? 

Hidalgo - I actually liked that.  Viggo played a good cowboy in this movie.  I guess I wanted to watch it because of him being in LOTR but also because he was in GI Jane.  He's a pretty hardcore actor and I've liked everything he was in.  This movie kept me intrigued although I didn't like one part in the movie which I won't say here because it might spoil it for some who haven't seen it.

50 First Dates - what do I expect with Adam Sandler, right?? I atually liked it so much that I bought the DVD, though.  It was cool that he stuck with her even though she had a condition.

Confessions of Teenage Drama Queen - I like Lindsay Lohan but I think she could have done better with this one.  I liked her in Freaky Friday the best so far.  But, then again I haven't seen Herbie Fully Loaded, yet. 

LOTR - The whole trilogy was excellant but I like Two Towers the best.  Gollum is my favorite Character although Legolas follows right behind.   I like it when Smeagol/Gollum get to talking to each other.  Comical!

Dirty Dancing : Havana Nights - I bought this DVD with misgivings that it wasn't going to be as good as the first one.  Nor was it but I still liked it and have actually watched it a few times.

Hellboy - I like the fact that Hellboy likes cats.  HAHA .  Overall good movie, kept me on the edge of my seat from one scene to the next.

The Village - I have just recently seen this movie.  I like Joaquin Phoenix in everything he's been in.  M. Night Shamalyan always has come up with great movies.  And, I love the fact he's always in them.  They have showed this movie every night this month on STARZ since it's a new release and just about every night I watch it.  I guess that is how much I liked it.

Harry Potter: Prisoner of Azkaban - I have loved all the Harry Potter movies.  I like this one quite a bit but I am really not sure which I like the best as of yet.   I am anxiously awaiting the Goblet of Fire movie to come out because I really want to see that one.

Terminal - I thought this movie was going to be a bad one.  I mean, how much can you come up with some guy living in an airport terminal.  But, it surprised me.  It's Tom Hanks and Catherine Zeta that hit it off I believe that kept me so interested.  And, I have wondered if that could actually happen to somebody.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - pretty good although at first it was a little odd.  I like Jude Law and Angelina Jolie and Gwnyth Paltrow so they made it good. 

Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2 - I finally got to see these.  I liked the first one the best.  Why?? I guess because it was more violent.  HAHA!  Nah, I actually liked both of them.  Uma Thurman and David Carradine.  I like those 2 the best.    It shocked me in the end though :(

Spiderman 2 - It was good.  I liked the first one better.  Not sure why.

The Day after Tomorrow - Absolutely loved this movie.  From the people from ID4 they outdid themselves again.  I wonder if that scenario could actually happen here?

White Chicks - I thought this was hysterical!!!!  The Wayan brothers to me have always made me laugh. 

Napolean Dynamite - At first when I saw this I was thinking what is the point of this movie?  Well, I know there really isn't one...hahaha.  I like it though and I hope that I end up owning it pretty soon.   I like Kip and Tina the best...*laugh*   For those of you who have seen it you will know what I am talking about.

Aliens VS Predator - For not having really gotten into the Alien or Predator scheme I actually liked this movie.  I have always been a little nervous watching the Aliens...I don't know, I guess they just give me the creeps and I have never liked the sound the predator made but all in all , a good movie.

National Treasure - I just watched this today.  I thought it was good.  Nicolas Cage rocks.   I like Sean Bean too.    Oh, going treasure hunting sounds like fun!

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - I didn't really care for this movie.  I am not keen on subtitles.

Finding Neverland - my parents saw this before I did and they said it was really sad.  I watched it shortly after they did and found that yes it was sad but I didn't cry over it.  I like Johnny Depp, he was awesome with the kids! 

Robots - I saw this in the theater.  I liked it a whole lot.  I can't wait for it to come out on DVD.  It had an all-star cast and Robin Williams is another of my all time favorite actors.  It turned out really great IMO.

I realize this is a huge post but I just wanted to get my 2 cents in there. HAHAHA .  I want to see War of the Worlds, Chronicles of Narnia (after I read the books), and Stealth eventually.  I don't think I want to see Sky High, looks stupid.  Kind of like Team America did to me.  I was never a fan of South Park although I did watch a few episodes. 

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 1, 2005, 01:22 AM »
The concept of AI taking over is a Tired story...

I agree there, but the question of its humanity is not...or atleast I think anyway.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 1, 2005, 09:30 AM »
Looks like the "new" movies this weekend (and last weekend I guess too) are dong pretty poor.  I saw this morning that Wedding Crashers finished #1 at the box office, in its third week.  We caught it a week ago, and it was funny.  Definitely a good comedy.  Here was the top 5 for the weekend, if anyone is interested:

1.  Wedding Crashers
2.  Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
3.  Sky High
4.  Stealth
5.  Must Love Dogs

I've heard decent things about Sky High as well, but I'm guessing that will be a renter if anything for us.  I'd still like to get out to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory...hopefully sometime soon.  It really seems like a bit of a down time for movies overall now (box office revenues aside).  I don't know that I'm really looking forward to anything "big" until Harry Potter in November, and then Narnia and Kong in December.  That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 1, 2005, 08:28 PM »
New Potter trailer may have won me over, but I don't think it'll make up for the last installment, already forgot the name of it.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 1, 2005, 08:44 PM »
New Potter trailer may have won me over, but I don't think it'll make up for the last installment, already forgot the name of it.

Prisoner of Azkaban - a very good movie and by far the best of the series to date.

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 2, 2005, 11:41 AM »
Don't agree, don't read the books, just felt rushed, and seemed like a lot was sacrificed. Mainly, explanations and what made the first 2 fun. Guess we'll see about GOF.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2005, 11:43 AM by Cine »

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 2, 2005, 01:49 PM »
Heh, heh, I hate to ask but does anyone plan on seeing Dukes this weekend?

I used to watch the show when I was a young pup and I think Knoxville and the American Pie dude are funny.

Maybe I'll wait for the DVD....but then again Jessica Simpson is in it.... :o

Hmmmm...Daisy Dukes.....

Offline pakledjim

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 2, 2005, 02:09 PM »
I saw Fantastic Four last week and I liked it. The script needs a lot of work, but I was entertained.

jiM
traded with:darthmaul94, Big Mac, Captain J Sparrow, starwax137,

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 2, 2005, 02:43 PM »
Heh, heh, I hate to ask but does anyone plan on seeing Dukes this weekend?

I don't know, I'm debating seeing it in the next couple of weeks.  I know it is the subject of much ridicule, and I'm sure critics will hate it....but I too grew up on the show, and was quite a fan when I was a kid.  That aspect kind of has me interested in seeing it, but we'll see, I might end up waiting for the DVD as well.  Probably depends on what the Mrs. wants to go see.  Still haven't seen Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and I wouldn't mind seeing that either.  Anyways... I might check out Dukes of Hazzard...just because I was a fan of the old show (which it will probably be nothing like ;)).

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #281 on: August 2, 2005, 04:32 PM »
I thought Azkaban was tons better than Chamber...the darker tone reflects very much the darker tone the novels took starting with Azkaban

The Dukes can rot on the reel as far as I'm concerned

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 2, 2005, 11:09 PM »
I'll be seeing Dukes on friday. I'm a sucker for Knoxville and his humor.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 3, 2005, 12:09 AM »
Don't agree, don't read the books, just felt rushed, and seemed like a lot was sacrificed. Mainly, explanations and what made the first 2 fun. Guess we'll see about GOF.

It was rushed no doubt - they all have been and it will only get worse from here on out.  Word on the street is that every facet of the book not directly dealing with Harry has been cut from Goblet of Fire.   The first two were fun, but they were also childish compared to Prisoner of Azkaban.

Regardless, when it comes to story, composition, pacing, direction, acting, effects, etc... the third HP film was superior in every way imaginable.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 3, 2005, 12:16 AM »
I too will be seeing Dukes, but on Saturday. My dad was a big DoH fan, and he likes Jessica Simpson. So I'll be dragged along.

I want to stay and see a bunch of movies though (like Batman... sorry Kev  :-[)
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks