Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 350574 times)

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #450 on: January 1, 2007, 07:43 PM »
 ;D I'm waiting for 300 Sombody's supposed to do figures too .
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 1, 2007, 07:52 PM »
NECA is making those figures, they look great.  8)

Frank Miller's 300 - Series 1 - Set of 4

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 1, 2007, 10:26 PM »
(I had GoBots.)   :-\

Ah yes, Gobots...the poor man's Transformers.  Had 'em as well, and actually dig them more now than the original TFs.

Anyway, I think it's refreshing they're taking TF to a different level and making some modifcations.  It's definitely not going to be the kiddy cartoon that we all remember, at least not based on what we've seen in the trailer.  I know this has a bunch of fan boys all bent out of shape, but that's to be expected.  Based on the trailer, I'm looking forward to it.

John

That's just it.  I AM a TRANSFAN.  I am a fanboy...Have been ever since 84.  I have hundreds and hundreds of Transformers - toys that I actually open and enjoy.  I have all the G1 toons on DVD, and I'm looking forward to a change in a different direction.  I could care less if it's anything like it was or what most of you think it should be, I'm just glad that they're finally making a real movie based on the franchise.  I have to say that RID, Armada, Energon, & the Cybertron toons were all lame for the most part, but so was a lot of the G1 stuff if you go back and watch it again after all these years.  I thought they were a lot better when I was 6-8 for some reason   ;)
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 2, 2007, 03:49 PM »
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 8, 2007, 01:54 AM »
I went and saw Children of Men tonight.

I can't remember the last time I saw a movie that I thought was as perfect as this one.  Story, execution, effects, acting, direction, casting... all of it. 

I can't recommend it highly enough.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 8, 2007, 09:38 AM »
Glad you liked it Rob, I felt the same way.

Yesterday, I think I saw one the best films of '06, Letters from Iwa Jima. Infinately better than Flags of our Fathers IMO, which was pretty solid to begin with.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 27, 2007, 01:48 AM »
Just got back from the 9:55 showing of Smokin Aces, and I loved it. This move is so much more than what the commercials let on to. Acting, Plot, Music, everything just fit, oh so well. It was funny at all the right moments, the action was intense, the drama was all there, and in the end it all came together.

Very Mild Spoliers ahead:

As the movie progressed, I heard more and more murmers and questions being whispered, but at about the halfway point, things started to get explained, and in the very end they all piece together. So don't walk out half way because your confused!

I absolutely loved it, an instant favorite. 8)

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #457 on: January 28, 2007, 12:26 AM »
My wife and I just watched "The Descent".  I have one question about that movie.

WTF?

John

Offline Cory Chaos

• Jedi Initiate
  • Musically Inclined
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 28, 2007, 01:23 PM »
There's a good bit of "open to interpretation" theory to that movie. To me, it should have either gone one way or the other.

SPOILERS
Either make it a movie about going spelunking, and running into creatures or make it about a paranoid chick who lost her kid & husband, then totally snapped, thinking her friends were creatures, in the end, killing them all off.

END SPOILER.

It was somewhat confusing. There was actually an alternate ending that supposedly played out a lot better for the UK release. Overall, not a bad movie. Very gorey and atmospheric..made me jump a couple of times.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 01:23 PM by The Core »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #459 on: January 28, 2007, 03:57 PM »
I've gone to a movie every weekend for the last three weeks, trying to catch up. I saw Eragon first. Didn't like it.

Then I saw Children of Men. Great, great movie. I thought the soundtrack was pretty cool too.

This weekend I saw Pan's Labyrinth. I was surprised it actually came to this town, being a foreign language film and all. But anyway, I'd very highly recommend it.

I'll probably soak in Smokin' Aces next week.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline JohnH

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
    • DC Collector Universe
« Reply #460 on: January 28, 2007, 07:18 PM »
There's a good bit of "open to interpretation" theory to that movie. To me, it should have either gone one way or the other.

It's not the "open to interpretation" part of it that made me say "WTF".  To me it just seemed like a jumbled mess than really never knew where it was going (which I think you agree with).  I almost felt like different movies crammed into one.  It just never really seemed to all fit together, and there was so much that could have and should have been expanded on.  Not saying I want everything spelled out for me (far from it), but the way it was all done made the whole thing seem pretty pointless to me.

I wanted to like it...but it ended up doing nothing for me.

John

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 17, 2007, 12:18 PM »
I got to see "The Host" last night, that Korean monster movie. It was very entertaining in a Tremors type of way. Could have been better, but I think it's better than typical American horror/monster fare. The monster was well designed and executed perfectly.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 4, 2007, 11:33 AM »
I caught Bridge to Tarabithia last night. I have to say, I'm baffled as to the rave reviews. Don't get me wrong, I really wanted to like this movie. I firmly believe that the intent was noble and good, but in the end, it was an unfocused mess.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 4, 2007, 09:33 PM »
Possible spoiler? Left up to interpretation?

I got off the phone with my wife in SOCAL...she tells me they had traffic in both directions stopped on the road over the dry lake bed coming from/to my  home AF Base. She told me they were filming some more of the 'Transformers movie'. She desribed a huge big-rig truck (optimus prime?) with flames on it, there was also a large overly 4WD vehicle as well. She was in front of the stopped traffic. They were doing a shoot where the vehicles make a turn around on the road. For those that don't know this is a 2 lane in/2 lane out road with dry lake bed on both sides.

For some strange reason A B1 bomber flew directly overhead(in-line with the road) with it's wings swept. It would be cool if there was a transforming bomber
I find that unlikely though...probably just a local sortie where the aircrew flew overhead for 'a look'.

I guess the shooting is not yet done for this film....I remember last fall they asked for 'extras' for a shoot on the dry lake on the base itself(different dry lake) (they wanted GI's in uniform). This was the first I've heard of a shoot since then.

Brought to you by
The DS

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #464 on: March 4, 2007, 09:41 PM »
Saw Little Miss Sunshine this weekend.  It was decent...laughed a few times so its worth a rent IMO