Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 350347 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #1170 on: May 29, 2010, 01:15 PM »
I went to see Prince of Persia last night and enjoyed it. It felt kind of video gameish but much better than any other video game movie. It had lots of good stunts and a fun ending. It was a little boring in the middle but got better. I'd give it a solid B.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: June 1, 2010, 03:44 PM »
how would you rate it for kids?  my 9 year old wants to see it. 
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: June 1, 2010, 04:35 PM »
Looks like Bay has been selected to revive the TMNT franchise. 

I wonder if he'll have Skids and Mudflap in for cameos... :-\
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1173 on: June 2, 2010, 07:42 PM »
Anyone hear anything about a movie called "I am Number Four"?  It's filming locally, but besides the guy that played Serriff Seth Bullock in Deadwood, I don't recognize anyone from the cast. 

Also what the hell do movie production people use a giant balloon that is half black and half transluscent white for?  I've seen two of them and have no clue what their pupose is.  Saw a rain machine too which was kind of funny because it was on a crane bigger than all but 1 building in the town.

Anyway, just kind of curious if anyone heard stuff (not on IMDB) about that movie...
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #1174 on: June 2, 2010, 09:48 PM »
I believe those balloons are for providing additional lighting to a scene where traditional set light would be obtrusive or underpowered. Here is a manufacturer that produces them for the film/TV industry.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: June 3, 2010, 02:19 PM »
Just looking back at some of our box office predictions a few pages back, and it really is hard to see how things will shake out this year.  Although Iron Man 2 is doing very well, I've read that they don't expect it to match the original movie, which means it would land below current number one "Alice in Wonderland".  I'd be really surprised if that ended up being the #1 movie of the year, but I sure thought IM2 would have surpassed it in the first place.  "Shrek the Fourth" has also struggled a bit, at least compared to its previous installments, so I'm not sure if it will finish in the Top 5 or not.  Here's the current Top 5 (Box Office Mojo, which will obviously change a lot (and we've got a lot of summer/year to go yet):

1. Alice in Wonderland ($333 M)
2. Iron Man 2 ($281 M)
3. How to Train Your Dragon ($213 M)
4. Clash of the Titans ($161 M)
5. Shrek Forever After ($151 M)

I'm guessing only the Top 2 will still be there at year's end, and I think Toy Story 3 and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 would be the best contenders to take over number 1 (or possibly my wife's favorite, Twilight Saga: Eclipse).  Iron Man will probably pull in over $300 M, but not sure if it can catch "Alice" or not.  I think something like "The A-Team" or the Karate Kid movies could be darkhorse contenders, there sure seem to be a lot of people talking about those movies.  Not a number one contender, but maybe better than predicted.  Other than that, it is hard to say.  Not sure what to make of "The Last Airbender", I know that show has/had its fans.

Offline Sugart

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: June 3, 2010, 03:13 PM »
Unfortunately Twilight will probably be number one for the year, although HP has a chance. This summer really stinks for movie releases. Other than IM2 and Toy Story 3, everything else is just a movie I wont be upset if I miss it in theaters. Next summer is killer though. I think there is a 11 week stretch of blockbusters.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: June 3, 2010, 03:34 PM »
I don't think that the A-Team or Karate Kid will be in the top 5 by the end of the year.  They might do okay but they might tank also.  I thought the Losers was going to do well and it didn't, and that was a pretty good movie.

Unless I'm forgetting a big release later this year I think the top five could look like this:

1 Harry Potter
2 Alice in Wonderland
3 Toy Story 3
4 Iron Man 2
5 Twilight: Eclipse

I think what helped Alice in Wonderland get that far over $300M was the 3D release, the bump in box office price helped it.  Toy Story 3 should get that bump also, as will Harry Potter.  Potter did $300M without being in 3D last year and as this is part 1 of the finale, I think that it could go big and with the help of 3D pricing, beat AiW.

Toy Story 3 is harder to judge.  I think it would do $300M on its own just due to higher prices than when TS2 came out, that film did $245M.  With 3D prices added in, it could end up being the number 2 film.

Twilight did well last year and there's no reason to think this one won't also.  But last year New Moon fell short of $300M so as long as IM2 hits that mark, I think it should stay one spot above Eclipse.

Tron is a dark horse but other than being a cult classic and a snazzy sci-fi film, I don't think it'll break any records or anything.  If the previous Chronicles of Narnia movie hadn't done poorly I'd suggest voyage of the Dawn Treader could do damage, but I don't think it will.  It won't challenge the top 5 anyway.

I may change my mind on the order of these films, especially if IM2 doesn't clear $300m before it leaves theaters, but I'm pretty confident these five films will still be standing at the end of the year.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1178 on: June 3, 2010, 03:45 PM »
I believe those balloons are for providing additional lighting to a scene where traditional set light would be obtrusive or underpowered. Here is a manufacturer that produces them for the film/TV industry.

Thanks Jayson.  I figured that may be their purpose but wasn't sure.  They're more tube-shaped and transluscent on the bottom and black on top.

All the yocals had lawn chairs out watching the filming.  It was sad.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: June 3, 2010, 04:52 PM »
I know nothing about film production, but in one of the behind the scenes documentaries on one of Prequel DVDs the used a ball on a stick, halfblack/halfwhite, as a reference for shadows or lighting or something.  Then again it was smaller than a basketball and wasn't used during the action part of shots, but instead before hand.
I am not the Stig

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: June 3, 2010, 05:49 PM »
Unfortunately Twilight will probably be number one for the year, although HP has a chance. This summer really stinks for movie releases. Other than IM2 and Toy Story 3, everything else is just a movie I wont be upset if I miss it in theaters. Next summer is killer though. I think there is a 11 week stretch of blockbusters.

Yeah, I thought this summer was a bit of a slower one as well...maybe some residual effect of the writer's strike a couple years back.  I usually look at the releases for the year to figure out when we'll have to try to get a sitter so we can go, and there just wasn't much this summer I was overly interested in seeing in the theater.  Iron Man 2 (which we already saw), Toy Story 3 (which we're taking our daughter to), and Eclipse for my wife and that might be about it.  I'm interested in seeing Scott Pilgrim vs. the World as well, but I don't necessarily expect that to be a blockbuster either.  Later in the year, I'm definitely in for Harry Potter though, and possibly Tron.  We'll see about the next Narnia movie, I wasn't all that impressed with Prince Caspian (although it was ok).

Like you said though, next year is a killer (really the next two).  Off the top of my head, the movies coming out that I'm at least marginally interested in (unless dates get changed):

Thor (May)
Pirates 4 (May)
X-Men: First Class (June)
Green Lantern (June)
Transformers 3 (July)
Captain America (July)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt 2 (July)

As for the top 5, I think I like efranks' picks for this year.

Offline Sugart

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: June 3, 2010, 07:43 PM »
Ill throw Hangover 2, Kungfu Panda Kaboom of Doom, and Cars 2 in there as well. There is other stuff that mildly peaks my interest as well such as Rise of the Apes and Cowboys and Aliens. Thats 10 including the ones Brian mentioned. Dont forget that Spiderman 4 under Raimi was supposed to be released in 2011 as well.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2010, 07:45 PM by Sugart »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: June 4, 2010, 09:57 AM »
Yeah, I'll admit I don't know much about Cowboys and Aliens aside from what I've been reading about the movie this year, but I was going to include that movie as well.  Sounds like it could be kind of cool.  I'm also always in for anything Pixar, and I'm thinking our daughter might want to see Kung Fu Panda as well.  I enjoyed the first Hangover movie, but it often seems like these types of movies don't necessarily need sequels, so hopefully it will be good.  Aside from the big "blockbuster" type movies (superheroes, Transformers, Star Wars, Potter, etc.), it seems like sequels are pretty hit and miss for things like comedies.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: June 10, 2010, 10:44 AM »
Speaking of a "down summer" for movies, IGN currently has a feature up discussing some of the best summer movies of all time (for those thinking this summer is a little bit ho-hum).  The OT makes the list, as well as the Indy Trilogy.  Just looking through the movies listed, there really are some great ones on there - and a number of my favorites.

I'll admit that we don't get to the theaters a lot right now with a little one (although we might be able to start hitting more "kid" movies starting with Toy Story 3 next week), but as we've already been discussing in this thread - there isn't a lot that I'm super excited about this summer.  There is stuff I want to see, but not a ton that can't wait to see on DVD if I have to.  I'm curious about Karate Kid and even the A-Team this weekend, but doubt I'll get to either in the theater.  Aside from Iron Man 2 and Toy Story 3 (and Twilight: Eclipse for my wife), I don't know that we'll see a whole lot else.  I do think Scott Pilgrim vs. the World looks like fun though.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: June 11, 2010, 10:16 AM »
don't know if this is where this belongs or not - but has everone seen the new Mortal Kombat "Rebirth" trailer that debuted a few days ago?  if not you can find it on youtube

First off is it really for a movie - or is it for a game?  last I heard right to the movie franchise were in production hell because of rights issues amongst studios - and that was just a month or two ago - so I am just kinda surprised that an 8 minute trailer is already out there - unless they, despite, "rights" issues already wen ahead with working on it.

Second - I am not sure if I liked what I saw in the trailer.

edit:  I am at work right now, so I don't wanna watch it - but I guess the new game trailer is up now too today.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/198576/mortal_kombat_returns_for_xbox_360_and_ps3.html?tk=hp_blg

sorry to go off topic a bit with the game info.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 10:21 AM by shmashwitdaclub »