Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 349702 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #1560 on: October 16, 2013, 12:26 PM »
I've talked to a couple of buddies about it...I am an engineer and all of the momentum crap is dumb, no doubt but I didn't have a problem suspending belief and 99% of the public has no idea about any of the actual physics behind the scenes happening.  And I get the whole different orbits of the ISS and Space Shuttles and Hubble, but again this is science fiction not science fact.

All that said, I sat there almost the entire time with my sphincter clenched...it was so intense and the sense of dread and her panic to eventual calming through the whole situation was amazing. 

The cinematography which I haven't said yet is great beyond words.  Again all of that stuff reminded me of the old IMAX NASA movies...it truly brings you into what it would be like to be an astronaut

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1561 on: November 22, 2013, 12:48 PM »
I saw The Lone Ranger on the plane yesterday...maybe I'm stupid or maybe I don't know what a good movie is but I really enjoyed it.  I totally see what they were trying to do with it, the humor and characters were very much POTC.  I also sense the bad reviews really sunk them from the start...anyone else ever see it?

I also got to see Pacific Rim...it was pretty fun.  I agree about the acting, it was pretty bad, and there were major plot leaps of faith but overall it was better than it was worse.

And finally I saw 42...it was OK.  Out of the three...the story was the best.  Harrison Ford was really good but the acting was absolutely awful.  This was supposed to be a HBO (or cable) movie that was released at the Box Office instead?  That could explain the acting

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: November 22, 2013, 10:40 PM »
I saw The Lone Ranger on the plane yesterday...maybe I'm stupid or maybe I don't know what a good movie is but I really enjoyed it.  I totally see what they were trying to do with it, the humor and characters were very much POTC.  I also sense the bad reviews really sunk them from the start...anyone else ever see it?

I had a very similar experience to you. Watched it on the plane and really enjoyed it too.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: December 10, 2013, 01:14 PM »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: December 10, 2013, 04:01 PM »
Looks pretty good.  I'll check it out unless the reviews are terrible.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #1565 on: December 10, 2013, 07:36 PM »
Always a big fan of Godzilla, and hoping this erases the memory of the '98 movie, which was truley abysmal.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #1566 on: December 11, 2013, 02:00 PM »
I recently watched Redemption (Jason Statham) on Netflix. Actually, a pretty good movie and definitely the best Statham flick.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: December 11, 2013, 03:07 PM »
I recently watched Redemption (Jason Statham) on Netflix. Actually, a pretty good movie and definitely the best Statham flick.

Sorry, but that honor belongs to Snatch.  Statham came out of the gate very strong with those first two Guy Ritchie movies, and he was fantastic as Turkish in Snatch.  That movie was awesome, and it launched him into some good movies.  The Bank Job is also very good if you haven't seen that.

Always a big fan of Godzilla, and hoping this erases the memory of the '98 movie, which was truley abysmal.

+1

Roland Emmerich gave us a very cool movie in Independence Day, but the '98 Godzilla was just awful.  The design of Godzilla alone took me out of it.  As did Matthew Broderick, as well.

This new trailer looks pretty cool.  And the design of Godzilla is pretty cool from what you can see.  A big part of what I liked about the trailer was that as a viewer you couldn't get a sense of the full scale of Godzilla, that being due to his sheer size as well as the devastation around him.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 03:39 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: December 23, 2013, 03:51 AM »
Anyone have a chance to see Anchorman 2? I caught a showing this weekend, and although I went in expecting a crappy sequel, it might have been worse than what I expected. Rehashed, less funny jokes from the first one, and cameos and roles from all of the current and unfunny SNL cast members. The best parts we've already seen in the trailers, mainly Ron's black female boss and dinner with her family. I would recommend watching it on cable or Netflix or something for free though.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #1569 on: December 23, 2013, 09:03 AM »
I didn't think the first was as great as everyone makes it out to be, so not really expecting much from this IF i go see it.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: December 23, 2013, 11:51 AM »
Godzilla - Official Teaser Trailer

Trying to figure out what paratroopers can do to that thing. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: December 23, 2013, 12:04 PM »
Godzilla - Official Teaser Trailer

Trying to figure out what paratroopers can do to that thing.

Aim for the eyes!  We're heading out to see Catching Fire tonight.  I hear good things so far.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: February 16, 2014, 08:30 PM »
I saw the Robocop remake this afternoon. I wish more people had given this movie a chance. It was really enjoyable. It shares a lot of the same thematic elements from the original, but it takes the story in a different direction so you are left with this feeling of "okay, this is familar, but what are they going to do different next?"

There are great references and send-ups to the original film. The scene where Robocop's creator shows Murphy what's left of him was cool.

Definitely not "high art" but worth seeing if you are a fan of the original.

Just my $0.02
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: February 17, 2014, 08:38 AM »
It was ok.  Big fan of robo 1 & 2 so had to see.

What was left of Murphy was disturbing to say the least.  Glad to see ED209 back and in force - not just falling down stairs and shooting innocent people.  Was also nice to see Murphy back in his original non-batman colors at the end of the movie.

I would buy it for $1.00.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: February 17, 2014, 12:27 PM »
I would buy it for $1.00.

Good one!  ;D