Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 350507 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #1635 on: January 19, 2015, 04:02 PM »
I'm just so tired of genpop hits being frowned on for awards.  If you sold a whole bunch of tickets and there's positive buzz around your movie, you should be up for "Best Picture."  If you were a little 200 theater release artsy fartsy that a dozen people liked, you should be up for "Best Artsy Fartsy." 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: January 19, 2015, 05:16 PM »
My problem with the Oscars is when some animated movie was up for Best Animated Film (which it won) and Best Movie categories a couple years ago.  If that is the case, then they should have categories for best comedy, best action, best western (not the hotel), best sci-fi, best drama, etc. and any of those movies can be put up for Best Movie.

As for biggest sales, well, they have the peoples' choice awards... not that means as much as the Oscars.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1637 on: January 20, 2015, 08:21 AM »
I believe they added Best Animated because animated films were vastly underrepresented.  The Academy judged them differently.  All these actors, writers and directors came from a live-action background, thus animated films were not respected.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: January 20, 2015, 10:58 AM »
I'm just so tired of genpop hits being frowned on for awards.  If you sold a whole bunch of tickets and there's positive buzz around your movie, you should be up for "Best Picture."  If you were a little 200 theater release artsy fartsy that a dozen people liked, you should be up for "Best Artsy Fartsy." 

I get where you're coming from.  The only time in recent memory where we saw a blockbuster film get some serious recognition at the Oscars was for Lord of the Rings - Return of the KingAvatar got nominated, and I think that's because of pure force of will on the part of James Cameron.  But he didn't win for Best Director or Best Picture.  Still, a film like American Sniper is doing well at the box office and got a bunch of nominations.

The problem is the Academy.  The people who vote regard themselves as artists/filmmakers.  Some of their work makes money, some doesn't. And they take themselves VERY seriously.  Probably far more seriously than they should.  When a comedian like Ricky Gervais knocks these actors while hosting the Golden Globes there are all these gasps and groans from the audience.  And really, they need to get over themselves and what they do.  They're entertainers.  They aren't curing cancer.

The economy of filmmaking does come into play here.  The blockbuster movies are designed to make money for the studio as a whole.  They're considered tent-pole movies that will support the studio as a whole as well as provide funding for the smaller films that are more artistic and less likely to turn a profit.  That sense of broad appeal seems, in most cases, to have this inverse effect among the Academy voters where a big summer movie rarely gets nominated.  At least not for the major acting awards.  So maybe there's some resentment from the filmmakers who are involved in the smaller projects that feel money that could be funding their films is going towards the next Star Wars or Avengers film?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 11:08 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: January 20, 2015, 06:07 PM »
And really, they need to get over themselves and what they do.  They're entertainers.  They aren't curing cancer.

Amen to that!  My wife hates award shows because she can't stand all of the presenters and recipients gushing over how 'brilliant' and 'phenomenal' they all are...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: January 21, 2015, 12:19 AM »
... or the political BS. They are just entertainers. They are no better than the Court Jester entertaining the King and should never be taken seriously on any issue.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: February 14, 2015, 10:22 PM »
Saw Kingsmen tonight...enjoyed it thoroughly, except that the wife and I were forced to sit in the very first row, which was brutal on the neck.

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1642 on: February 15, 2015, 08:10 AM »
Good to see Kingsmen is doing well.  The comic it's based on is quite good.  And I hear they stayed pretty faithful to it.  Even included the cameo of a particular celebrity (which they've kept under wraps through all the promos).  When I heard they were doing the movie I was like "No way they're going to do that to him..." but when I saw he agreed to appear in the film I was like "Maybe these guys actually got some balls after all."
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #1643 on: February 15, 2015, 06:56 PM »
Good to see Kingsmen is doing well.  The comic it's based on is quite good.  And I hear they stayed pretty faithful to it.  Even included the cameo of a particular celebrity (which they've kept under wraps through all the promos).  When I heard they were doing the movie I was like "No way they're going to do that to him..." but when I saw he agreed to appear in the film I was like "Maybe these guys actually got some balls after all."

Love the comic, can't wait to see the movie, although I think they took a little liberty with the cameo you speak of.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: February 19, 2015, 02:09 PM »
Blomkamp Alien 5 back on!  ;D

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: February 19, 2015, 06:38 PM »
Blomkamp Alien 5 back on!  ;D

District 9 guy....intrigued.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #1646 on: February 19, 2015, 07:11 PM »
The buz from the concept art must've really got things in gear!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1647 on: February 27, 2015, 12:48 PM »
Harrison Ford Confirmed for 'Blade Runner' Sequel

Please, please, please don't suck. 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: February 27, 2015, 03:52 PM »
Nice, guy is not going quietly into retirement.

Someone start a search party for Sean Young!

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: March 1, 2015, 10:20 AM »
Watched "Birdman" last night. Twelve hours later and I still can't decide if I liked it or if it was too snobby. I don't even like superhero movies for the most part either, but Birdman's message may have been a little too full of itself. And I consider myself somewhat of a movie and music snob. The fact Birdman somewhat was satarizing itself may be it's saving grace.
« Last Edit: March 1, 2015, 10:26 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within