Author Topic: Gentle Giant Mini-Busts  (Read 358519 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Gentle Giant Busts
« Reply #555 on: March 31, 2005, 11:15 PM »
I believe the Vader is an ROTS version, something mentioned about a different helmet.   

I'm not like you though, I get what I like (and can afford) regardless of which trilogy.  I'd love to have all the clone busts but can't see myself owning the red or blue.  Maybe yellow and white yet though. 

And I'm skipping a number of the OT busts too.  Really trying to stick to imperials more than anything else and rebel pieces I find cool.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: April 1, 2005, 05:02 AM »
The Vader is definitely a ROTS rendition.  It's the pose that's remarkably different, not so much the helmet.   Vader is posed with his lightsaber held in front of him.  The chestplate is the ROTS look, and the robes are underneath the shoulder piece, unlike the way the costume was worn in ANH.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: May 2, 2005, 11:48 PM »
Anyone else notice these at SWS.com?

All at MSRP, but we now have dates on them.  August for Han (seems late?) and September for the Sandtroopers.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 3, 2005, 05:52 PM »
Save some money and get them through a local comic shop.  They'll usually cut you a break on the price.

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 3, 2005, 11:15 PM »
Save some money and get them through a local comic shop.  They'll usually cut you a break on the price.

I've asked Nick, but the market here is too small and they automatically get hit with a 14% customs charge (=taxes) so honestly if I can pick these up from a seller on ebay for $40 or less, I'm pretty far ahead of the game even with shipping.  Knock on wood, but I've had pretty good luck finding sellers with honest shipping costs.  It should cost only about $8 to ship it to me on average so that's sort of what I look for. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 4, 2005, 12:27 PM »
That sounds like a good deal, Brent.  But have you ever considered moving out of the wilderness?   ;)

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 4, 2005, 04:08 PM »
That sounds like a good deal, Brent.  But have you ever considered moving out of the wilderness?   ;)

Often, to be honest.  As I learn more truth about the US and lose less investment in the propaganda we grow up with around here it becomes ever more tempting.  Most importantly if my wife and I were to have a comparable income, we'd be just fine overall.  The trick is being able to get both of us green cards at the same time.  One or the other may easily get a job, but that's no guarantee of the other being allowed to work :-\

As long as we get more McFarlane hockey figures, I'll be ok trading favors :P

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 4, 2005, 04:09 PM »
Just been reading up through the thread here, and had a few questions for you guys.  I've been kind of considering getting into some "higher end" (at least to me) stuff, and the mini bust line is one that has always appealed to me.  I obviously couldn't be a completist, as it is far too expensive and I am far too behind anyways, but I just had a few questions about these.  Are each of the mini busts basically instant sell outs (as in, something I should preorder), are there any that can still be found now (for reasonable, close to retail prices)?  If I start into this line, in a limited fashion, I think Han will be my first one..and hope that a Chewie is on the way as well.  I saw in the previous pages you guys were mentioning a new Vader, which would be a cool one to get as well since the 1st version is a small fortune.  When is this one out (or is it already)?  Are there any pictures up of it?  Also, the "OT" Yoda mentioned a page or two back, when is that expected to be released?  I'm thinking of sticking to OT only for the most part on these (except for characters that might be from the OT - Vader, Droids, Chewie, etc.).  Anyways, basically just a newbie to the line here, looking to learn more.  Also, as a general question, do you think these busts are "worth" the $45ish pricetag?  I'm not saying they aren't, I've never even seen one in person (I have 1 Bust Up, and that's it)...but I have a somewhat limited budget, especially with higher priced items, so I just wanted to get some opinions on these.  Thanks for any info.  Now I'll sort through this thread to see if I can't find a list of the OT busts released and see what might be available :).

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 4, 2005, 04:14 PM »
Ok, first, sorry for screwing up the thread width, I'll try and resize the pic tonight.

Brian, the Vader bust (new) is not yet out and is on the right side in this picture.  There are undoubtedly other, better pictures since this is from C3, but at least I know this one won't go down in the forseeable future.

Are each of the mini busts basically instant sell outs (as in, something I should preorder), are there any that can still be found now (for reasonable, close to retail prices)?
In general, unless it's an exclusive I would say no, they don't sell out instantly.  Issue size (1000, 2500, 4000, etc.) is obviously a factor as well, though more so it will depend on the general popularity of the character.  As for sell outs, well common sense will dictate that.  Vader should be obvious that it will sell very quickly.  It is Vader and a nice bust as well, it will go fast.  I will preorder that, but not anything else coming out in the near future, though Yoda may fall into that category for me as well.

MSRP is generally $50 on these as I understand them.  I've yet to pay that for anything other than an exclusive.  Even my stormtrooper I only  paid $35 for on ebay.  As Nick has mentioned, if you have a local store around you may be able to beat that $50 price tag, even on a preorder, something I cannot do based on my location. 

I saw in the previous pages you guys were mentioning a new Vader, which would be a cool one to get as well since the 1st version is a small fortune.  When is this one out (or is it already)? 
I don't know when it is out personally and I haven't seen any announcements, though I expect it will pop up soon as to when it will be available.  Some of the more experienced GG collectors may well know.  As mentioned above, I will preorder this to avoid the risk of losing out on it.  See above for the pic.

Also, the "OT" Yoda mentioned a page or two back, when is that expected to be released?
I think it is this fall though I've not seen an official date.  As above, I may preorder Yoda simply because of the popularity of the character.  I don't know if the OT mentality will be strong enough to make it as popular as the Yoda with lightsaber/PT version, but I confess to being nervous about getting this one.  As with the Vader, I missed out on the first and really want to have a Yoda in my collection. 

Also, as a general question, do you think these busts are "worth" the $45ish pricetag?
If you've not seen these in person, they're smaller than you're expecting probably.  Once you get past that, yeah, they're worth that price tag, though I couldn't be a completeist in them either, just too much cash overall I think.  They're very well sculpted, nicely painted and detailed and they are relatively limited so a nice, higher end collectible than Hasbro stuff, though not a Master Replica or Attakus high end deal. 

You should still be able to find C-3PO for under $50 though he has been out for a while, so at some point the liquid stock will be gone and his value will rise to some degree.  He is a nice piece and I think a number of people here have it, though I do not.  I'm mostly an Imperial kind of guy so I've not nabbed too many outside that realm.  That's not to say they aren't great.  Bossk and the Gammorrean Guard are spectacular pieces, they just don't fit what I'm currently after in this line. 
« Last Edit: May 4, 2005, 04:29 PM by Morgbug »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 4, 2005, 04:16 PM »
Thanks Brent, and sorry for all the questions ;)  I do appreciate the info though.  I've been going back through the thread now trying to get caught up on things a little bit.  I initially stayed away from this line thinking "Unleashed is close enough", but seeing that Han piece go up this morning I started to get tempted again.  I'd have to limit them, and likely stick to OT ones, but to have a Han (and hopefully, someday, a Chewie) would be a nice start :P.  Thanks again.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 4, 2005, 04:21 PM »
Wow, you asked a lot of questions there Brian  :P

I'll try and take them one at a time....

Just been reading up through the thread here, and had a few questions for you guys.  I've been kind of considering getting into some "higher end" (at least to me) stuff, and the mini bust line is one that has always appealed to me.  I obviously couldn't be a completist, as it is far too expensive and I am far too behind anyways, but I just had a few questions about these.  Are each of the mini busts basically instant sell outs (as in, something I should preorder), are there any that can still be found now (for reasonable, close to retail prices)?

Instant sellouts? Depends on the character in question... the more popular characters, like Vader, Yoda, Stormtroopers, etc. I would say yes. Maybe not an "instant" sell out, but very ofter they are sold out within weeks of release. Some of the other, non-major characters like Bossk, and a few other more recent ones, don't sell out nearly as fast, and can often be found for a few months after release.

Of course, another big factor is the edition size. Most of the newer busts are getting larger edition sizes, some are around the 7500 range, and that obviously makes it easier to find than one that has an edition size of, say, 2500.

And then, of course, there are the exclusives, to various websites and conventions around the country. But don't get me started on those....

If I start into this line, in a limited fashion, I think Han will be my first one..and hope that a Chewie is on the way as well.  I saw in the previous pages you guys were mentioning a new Vader, which would be a cool one to get as well since the 1st version is a small fortune.  When is this one out (or is it already)?  Are there any pictures up of it?

The new Vader is set for release this fall I believe, but I haven't seen a definite date as of yet. Check through our C3 pictures, I'm sure there are a few of him in there.

Also, the "OT" Yoda mentioned a page or two back, when is that expected to be released?  I'm thinking of sticking to OT only for the most part on these (except for characters that might be from the OT - Vader, Droids, Chewie, etc.).  Anyways, basically just a newbie to the line here, looking to learn more.  Also, as a general question, do you think these busts are "worth" the $45ish pricetag?  I'm not saying they aren't, I've never even seen one in person (I have 1 Bust Up, and that's it)...but I have a somewhat limited budget, especially with higher priced items, so I just wanted to get some opinions on these.  Thanks for any info.  Now I'll sort through this thread to see if I can't find a list of the OT busts released and see what might be available :).

Yoda I haven't seen anything on yet. Not even a picture.

As for the "are they worth it" question? In my opinion, yes they are. They are one of my favorite collectibles, the detail is fantastic, and you really can't beat the price. A lot of times you can get them for a little less through ebay, or as Nicklab has mentioned numerous times, most comic shops will offer discounts when you pre-order items like this. I usually do that, and end up paying roughly $35 per bust. Not a bad deal, if ya ask me.

And make sure to keep an eye on our Image Database section, I'm hoping to get a mostly complete set of pictures up starting real soon.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #566 on: May 4, 2005, 04:45 PM »
Brian, the Vader bust (new) is not yet out and is on the right side in this picture.  There are undoubtedly other, better pictures since this is from C3, but at least I know this one won't go down in the forseeable future.

How about this one...

http://www.jedidefender.com/news/images/2-05/IMG_0678.jpg

Beware, it's huge.   ;)

It's one of the ones that I snapped at C3, but haven't had time to add to the archive yet...

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 4, 2005, 04:49 PM »
That's good for the detail but I had the same problem getting a flat picture of it.  Lots of glare and contrast from the flash.  I'll try and find the one I saw earlier, someone managed a really great shot, looks like the glass wasn't there. 

Either way, that bust is definitely a must have. 

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: May 4, 2005, 05:30 PM »
It could be worse, it could have me in it.

When do I get to see my wonderful Photography with you and the Wookiees?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 4, 2005, 05:39 PM »
Edition sizes have only been determined through the Leia/Boussh mini-bust.  That one is set for release later this month and is limited to 5,000 pieces.  

Release dates, but not edition sizes, have only been scheduled for the following:

Han Solo - August
Sandtrooper Squad Leader - September
Sandtrooper Sergeant - September

Gentle Giant has taken to "custom fitting" the edition sizes based on pre-orders.  If there are more orders through Diamond and other distributors, then there will be a larger the edition size.  

As of this time, Gentle Giant hasn't released any info on the release schedule or edition size of the following pieces:

ROTS Darth Vader
TESB Yoda
AOTC C-3PO

Feedback