Author Topic: Gentle Giant Mini-Busts  (Read 358284 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Gentle Giant Busts
« Reply #780 on: October 14, 2005, 09:52 PM »
You have to appreciate what Gentle Giant is doing from a collector's standpoint.  I think they realize the quagmire they've caused with such low production quantity limited edition pieces.  They also have to realize that they're not making ANY of that secondary market money.  So they might as well triple or quintuple the production runs.  At least the collectors are going to be able to get these pieces at a reasonable price.

I absolutely agree Nick, there's no reason for GG to sit back and get hate mail for something that's beyond their control (secondary market prices).  By having very large editions they boost their bottom line, reduce complaints and keep collectors happy.  15,000-20,000, while dramatic production increases, still isn't that many.  Toy Fair Vader was suggested to be around 10,000 and the Lava Vader 50,000 yet they still appreciated in value. 

My point is only that I didn't preorder a Yoda with the hopes of finding one below $39.99 pre-shipping price.  All of the speculators that bought lots for profit on ebay are likely to be disappointed in the short term and I hope to take advantage of that. :)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: October 17, 2005, 08:27 PM »
I hope they make a better Padme, I'm not a big fan of the "no arm" look.

Funny thing about that statement is that is exactly what a "bust" is supposed to be. No arms. Just a part of the torso and the head. Don't get me wrong, I love all the GG stuff so far, and I'm a huge fan of the busts with arms. It's just that in the technical, old school sense of it all, a bust has no arms. So GG isn't really making busts in my opinion, more like half statues.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #782 on: October 18, 2005, 01:25 AM »
I'd love it if they did something from Clone Wars, like the ARC trooper, or Republic Commando, or Asajj Ventress, or Snow Bunny Padme, or something. Preferably in the same realistic style as the movie busts, but toon style could be cool too--although that might be considered trampling on the toon maquettes already in progress.

I've never bought any of the higher-end stuff before: high school/college student yada yada, you know the drill. But my finances are slightly improved now and I'd love to get at least one GG bust so I had something representative of the line. Something Clone Wars would be enough to put me "over the edge", I think.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 01:29 AM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #783 on: October 18, 2005, 02:20 AM »
OK someone catch me up to speed on the Sandtroopers, please, 'cause I haven't been paying attention!  Are there just the three of them total, so these white and orange pauldroned versions are the last of 'em?  No greys?

I'm only doing OT busts as well, and will definitely be grabbing that Vader.  But damn, that ROTS Emperor sure is nice looking, and making me re-think things a little.  I must stick to my guns though and nix the prequel stuff, or I'll be eternally damned.

As for the increased production numbers from GG on these, I agree that it's a good thing.  I remember me and some others fussing about them raising the production on these so everyone who wants them could get them, but we were met by a hail of BOO's from those that apparently were only interested in collecting the bust line due to it's potential value, so they were pissed at the thought of high #s and lower values on their collectibles.  To which I say, PPPHHHHTTH!  GG may potentially lose a few of those fussy value-oriented individuals, but they should more than make up for it with the hugely increased bust sales, I'd imagine.  So kudos to them for rolling these out in greater numbers for all to enjoy!  8)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 02:53 AM by JediMAC »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #784 on: October 18, 2005, 04:35 AM »
Hey, does anyone want/need the new Yoda bust (ESB version)?  I'm trying to ditch one for $40 shipped (probably more for Canada though).  Holler quick if you'd like it!

- M
« Last Edit: October 18, 2005, 04:46 AM by JediMAC »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: October 18, 2005, 10:24 AM »
OK someone catch me up to speed on the Sandtroopers, please, 'cause I haven't been paying attention!  Are there just the three of them total, so these white and orange pauldroned versions are the last of 'em?  No greys?

Correct, three versions.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: October 18, 2005, 10:58 PM »

For now. Untill GG needs to do a Mexico City Con exclusive or some other assinine thing that no one will be able to get a hold of...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 19, 2005, 01:26 AM »

For now. Untill GG needs to do a Mexico City Con exclusive or some other assinine thing that no one will be able to get a hold of...

Cynic.

No wonder I like you.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #788 on: October 19, 2005, 11:19 PM »
Got notice that Yoda and Vader are shipping soon...I really don't care about value at all, more that I can own a Vader bust and me likee Yoda

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: October 20, 2005, 02:15 AM »
Where is the best place to order that Vader bust from?  I gotta get one.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: October 20, 2005, 02:44 AM »
Darth Vader Bust:

Gentle Giant: $50.00

Entertainment Earth: $49.99

StarWarsShop.com: $49.99

Action Figure Express: $49.99

Big Bad Toy Store: $44.99

Brian's Toys: $49.99

Killer Toys: $44.95

Cheapest I could find it for was $45.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: October 20, 2005, 04:24 AM »
Darth Vader Bust:

Gentle Giant: $50.00

Entertainment Earth: $49.99

StarWarsShop.com: $49.99

Action Figure Express: $49.99

Big Bad Toy Store: $44.99

Brian's Toys: $49.99

Killer Toys: $44.95

Cheapest I could find it for was $45.

Thanks buddy.  I know Killer Toys does a lot of stuff on Spawn.  Probably just order it from him.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 20, 2005, 10:27 AM »
Talesofwonder.com has it for $42.99
Newforcecomics.com has it for $39.99

Both still have it listed as a presell arriving the 27th.  I ordered my sandtrooper busts from talesofwonder and they've been very good.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 20, 2005, 03:57 PM »
I'm getting the second edition Vader through my local comic shop for somewhere between $36 and $40.  It all depends on what the MSRP is.

Picked up my 2 Sandtroopers and Yoda the other day as well.  Can't wait to get those on the shelf!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 20, 2005, 08:00 PM »
Cynic.

No wonder I like you.

Awww, thanks Brent. I like you too  :-*