Author Topic: Gentle Giant Mini-Busts  (Read 358903 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Gentle Giant Busts
« Reply #855 on: January 19, 2006, 03:36 PM »
So I say, **** those guys....make them work harder for stuff, by listening to what Gentle Giant asks of you and not reposting links like these.   

Well GG didn't ask anything of me, because like I said, I never got the original note that said "no sharing" - just the pre-ordering info which was forwarded to me by other folks from around the 'net (other folks who apparently didn't feel so bad about sharing the links).

I'd take the links down, but it's all water under the bridge at this point for those two...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: January 19, 2006, 03:45 PM »
I disagree with Josh simply because you're never going to be able to stop scalpers.  We all see them at our local stores and we've all dealt with them.  Some people may even know one.  Posting the links on the page helped those who may not have even known about the collector's club/society.  It didn't aid the scalpers cause I guarantee you they already are on that email list or have friends who alerted them as well. 

Offline DualSaberMaster

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Oh great, it's Fett"
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: January 19, 2006, 04:24 PM »
Just got a visit from the Fed Ex guy: (sorry for the huge pics)

Man, the guy is small.  Be careful when taking this guy out.  He has those annoying twist ties, and has alot of thin/fragile parts to him.  He's great though, love the light up/blinking threepio eye!
-Ricardo

"I'm like a bad penny, I always turn up"
"#1 Hater of PT Haters, OT+PT = SW Forever."

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: January 19, 2006, 04:34 PM »
You have it already?!   :o    Awesome!  8)

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #859 on: January 19, 2006, 04:55 PM »

I guess I was just curious how come it made front page news when GG respectfully asked not to repost it.  I'd think JD would "officially" want to respect that, on the front page anyway.  The fact that you got the info secondhand and didn't know about the request not to repost it from Gentle Giant, I suppose makes it a lot more "ok".

I disagree with Josh simply because you're never going to be able to stop scalpers.  We all see them at our local stores and we've all dealt with them.  Some people may even know one.  Posting the links on the page helped those who may not have even known about the collector's club/society.  It didn't aid the scalpers cause I guarantee you they already are on that email list or have friends who alerted them as well. 

I agree that it probably helped lots of collectors who wouldn't have otherwise known about it.  I also agree that no one person can stop scalpers.   

Still, the news broke on Rebelscum, and within a few hours the thread itself had 1000 views.  I know EVERYONE who looked didn't buy one, but imagine if they did. That's half the run right there.  Then add on to that any traffic the links on JD generated......that's a lot of people who may have not seen it otherwise.

I'm not saying don't tell your friends.
I'm not suggesting don't post the news.
I'm just saying that in the future, if GG asks not to post the link, maybe it would be cool to honor that so that the people who took the 5 seconds to join the collector's club truly get the first shot at these things.

I'd take the links down, but it's all water under the bridge at this point for those two...

Agreed.   It's in the past, and I'm sure by now....every club member who wanted one already got one. They're still not sold out yet, and they're already up on Ebay....so whatever's  going to happen has already happened.  ;D
Got Clones?

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #860 on: January 19, 2006, 05:52 PM »
Well, I sort of see Josh's point here.  I guess folks that actually collect these Gentle Giant pieces may be more apt to take issue here.  I know I'd personally be quite pissed off if I missed out on an exclusive GG bust (like Salacious here) just because a bunch of non-GG members ordered them with the links that were supposed to only be for those of us who are GG Collector's Society members...

Regardless, I think this is something that Gentle Giant needs to deal with on their end though.  They should be the ones implementing some type of control over the ordering process so that only their members can place orders for the first several days or so.  You should just have to log in with a Collector's Society account to place an order, or something to that effect.  Granted, as many problems as GG's had with simply offering their exclusives in the past, I can't see them actually tackling this idea with any success.

Nice score on the Salacious already, Ricardo!  I hope that means that mine will be arriving this afternoon as well.  8)

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #861 on: January 19, 2006, 06:07 PM »
They should be the ones implementing some type of control over the ordering process so that only their members can place orders for the first several days or so.  You should just have to log in with a Collector's Society account to place an order, or something to that effect.

Yeah, me too.  I think it's their responsibility to make this run smoother than they do....but as someone who got screwed out of their last exclusive thanks to StarWarsShop (I just caved and finally paid double retail on Ebay)......I guess it just sucked to see the links plastered everywhere yesterday before I'm sure lots of members got to get theirs.  Myself and a few others had this debate on RS and I just brought the question over here to see how JD feels about posting private collector's links for all to see.

More inquisitive than anything else.

I should note that this also isn't me being selfishness (Mine's already on the way) as much as it's just me trying to protect someone who might be a member, but stuck at work with no email or something.  I'd love for those guys to be able to get home and get one over some random guy that sees "Hot, limited exclusive!" and buys it just to resell it.

What's done is done....and I still think the news itself is great to share.  No offense towards anyone who benefitted from this particular newsflash....just curious if it's the policy to go on sharing this type of stuff.
Got Clones?

Offline Commander Cody

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: January 19, 2006, 06:19 PM »
I was thinking it was the loose eye that lit up.  :(

Offline bluesnaggletooth1

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: January 22, 2006, 02:04 PM »
Received my Salacious Bust on Friday. One of the coolest busts yet. Love the "blinking" feature. Good job, GG!!!

Snags

Offline Rod

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: January 25, 2006, 11:18 PM »
Hey all,sorry if this is a no-no...but I thought this would be something cool to pass along....

In case anybody is interested....

They have started a thread on the Rebelscum forums to "register" your Gentle Giant busts, maquettes and statues. Nothing official obviously but something neat to look at....what numbers other people have.

All you gotta do is send them a list of what busts you have and what edition number each bust is and they will add it to the master list on the top.

Spread the word! The more people that send in their numbers the better.

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE THREAD

This is just for pure fun....no real profit or gain in doing this, just something to do to pass the time.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2006, 11:24 PM by Gundam »

Offline Zodach

• Youngling
  • Yub Yub!
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: January 25, 2006, 11:34 PM »
I got #195 today!  I think that's my lowest number from GG yet.

Offline Rod

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
NEW Qui Gon Jinn mini bust
« Reply #866 on: February 1, 2006, 12:14 AM »

from theropod at the Scum forums...

This looks nice!

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
Re: NEW Qui Gon Jinn mini bust
« Reply #867 on: February 1, 2006, 12:21 AM »
CRAP CRAP CRAP!!!!!
I didnt want to buy any prequel busts but i have to get this.
The likeness is dead on!!!!!
That is the must have bust.
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
Re: NEW Qui Gon Jinn mini bust
« Reply #868 on: February 1, 2006, 12:26 AM »
This is a must have for me.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile