Author Topic: Gentle Giant Mini-Busts  (Read 358787 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Gentle Giant Busts
« Reply #1035 on: May 16, 2006, 12:54 PM »
I received a shipping notification for my Vader, but it hasn't arrived yet. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: May 16, 2006, 12:56 PM »
I received a shipping notification for the Han I ordered, and tracking (DHL) has it arriving tomorrow the way it looks.  This will be my first Gentle Giant mini bust, so hopefully the temptation won't be too great to get even more ;).  I know I clicked on that Yoda link right away this morning when I saw it again though, although it was already out of stock ;).  I sort of wish I would have ordered Yoda and Vader too when the chance was there, but its probably best that I didn't.

Offline Bobafett77

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: May 16, 2006, 01:13 PM »
This will be my first Gentle Giant mini bust, so hopefully the temptation won't be too great to get even more ;)

I wish you the best of luck with that. Said that same thing back in the day with the AOTC Clone Trooper bust and haven't been able to stop since!  ;D

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: May 16, 2006, 02:32 PM »
The biker scout was my first GG product.  I think it's reasonable to say that I've had remarkable restraint ;) in dealing with these.  And some very good luck as well.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #1039 on: May 17, 2006, 09:28 AM »
From Gentle Giant's blog:

As previously mentioned the Blackhole Stormtrooper will make its US debut after the Wizard World Philly convention in June. We are glad to announce that it will be made available through GGLTD. We will send out email to members of our collector's club with more information regarding purchase guidelines and link, after the convention.

So, there you have it - it should be a GG Collector Club item and not a Hyperspace deal...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Bobafett77

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: May 17, 2006, 10:33 AM »
I knew it would be through the GG's CC. That's cool with me since they'll be giving us advanced notice. I just hope they'll use this time wisely and update their servers to handle the amount of traffic that's going to hit when these become available (I know, wishful thinking :-\). Well, I hope I am able to get an order in without getting kicked out.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: May 17, 2006, 02:59 PM »
Well, the USPS just dropped off the Han bust I ordered from Amazon, and I really like it.  I know that the "human" ones aren't usually as popular, but this looked better to me in person than the pics I had seen online.  Trouble is, now I'm tempted to get a few more of the OT-based ones.  I'm definitely hoping to get the upcoming Chewbacca, but I'm tempted to pick up some of the past pieces if I can find some good prices on them.  I guess it depends how I juggle my collecting priorities, because if I'm going to expand in these, something else will probably have to get cut out.  They definitely make some nice product though.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: May 18, 2006, 07:04 PM »
November will bring Darth Maul:

I love that pose.  8)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 07:05 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline Bobafett77

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: May 18, 2006, 07:11 PM »
Hmmmm, time to put in a preorder I think. I'm loving that pose!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: May 19, 2006, 10:48 PM »
I foresee an edition size of 10,000+ and me paying less than $30 on the secondary market.  Nice bust though.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: May 20, 2006, 12:34 AM »
I foresee an edition size of 10,000+ and me paying less than $30 on the secondary market.  Nice bust though.

You think so? In this case, I may actually buy one of these.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: May 20, 2006, 11:22 AM »
Yes, I think so.  The character is tremendously popular so it should have an issue size similar to the recent Vader or Yoda.  The only debatable point is how important retailer feedback is to Gentle Giant - there's a lot of retailers dumping Yoda/Vader for well below MSRP right now.  Witness the recent Amazon sale and I'd previously picked up Yoda for $20 on ebay.  When you consider that the retail price is about $50 and most Vaders (not pre-ordered) have sold for $30 or under, that can't be good for a retailer. 

It's a fine line between what's too many and what's too few.  The sandtroopers are readily available at 7500 each (though there are two of them, plus the C3 exclusive so if you only wanted a single sandtrooper, you can choose from among 17,500 produced).  At the same time, Fett was 7500 and good luck getting him cheap. 

5000 is too few though there are examples of busts that you can still find for a decent price in an issue size smaller than that (Han Stormtrooper 3500). 

I'll perhaps order one at retail price (not MSRP mind you) from somewhere like talesofwonder.com that has it already for $37.50, a much more palatable price than MSRP. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: May 20, 2006, 01:02 PM »
Definitely liking the Darth Maul.  Excellent pose.

Also got notification that SWS is shipping the MBNA C-3PO's.  Good news all around.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: May 23, 2006, 09:39 AM »
The Maul looks fantastic.  Almost good enough to make me venture into the prequel realm.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: May 24, 2006, 07:20 PM »
I received this bad boy today (click on pic):

Not bad for a knockoff, eh?  ;)