Author Topic: Gentle Giant Mini-Busts  (Read 354578 times)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Gentle Giant Mini-Busts
« Reply #1665 on: June 27, 2007, 06:36 PM »
Sorry Brent...didn't win either raffle.  So I guess that means the odds are good I will win at year end-right???? :-X
Beth

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: June 27, 2007, 07:02 PM »
I checked my e-mail... nada on both.  :'(   :'(

Offline DualSaberMaster

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Oh great, it's Fett"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: June 27, 2007, 07:24 PM »
Just received my Neyo from epay Japan.  I'm very happy he arrived mint, and glad I picked him up.  Love the sculpt, and pose.  For all you Neyo raffle winners, I would suggest buying a lotto ticket while your luck is holding up. :P
-Ricardo

"I'm like a bad penny, I always turn up"
"#1 Hater of PT Haters, OT+PT = SW Forever."

Offline boba_fett300

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: June 27, 2007, 09:24 PM »
First time entering in the raffle, first time losing.  :'(

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: June 27, 2007, 11:26 PM »
Didn't win.  It looks like a lot of people didn't bother with the B&W Luke.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: June 27, 2007, 11:33 PM »
Sorry if this sounds stupid.
But with the raffles, does that mean you actually win the bust or do you win the right to purchase it from these douchebags?
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: June 27, 2007, 11:44 PM »
Right to purchase at retail price, so it's sorta like winning.

I bothered with the Luke but still didn't win.  I have a b/w C-3PO/Jawa to trade for it if anyone is interested.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: June 28, 2007, 01:48 AM »
Thats got to be one of the most insulting things ever in the context of collecting.
We know you want our product and if you cant make it to our rock star concerts well then f you,but  if you pay us some cash we will put your name into the hat an maybe you can buy one from us for the retail price, but if you dont sorry you can bend over now and prepare to take it in the buttocks cause thats the only way you'll get one after the scalpers clean us out.

I'm so on the verge of stopping starwars alltogether and just be a fan of the movies an leave all the merchandise behind.
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline echo-3

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: June 28, 2007, 03:47 AM »
I lost out too  >:(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: June 28, 2007, 10:22 AM »
Thats got to be one of the most insulting things ever in the context of collecting.
We know you want our product and if you cant make it to our rock star concerts well then f you,but  if you pay us some cash we will put your name into the hat an maybe you can buy one from us for the retail price, but if you dont sorry you can bend over now and prepare to take it in the buttocks cause thats the only way you'll get one after the scalpers clean us out.

For the most part, yes.  For me it all depends on whether there's something actually, really, truly coming for those of us that ponied up the money.  If I get a bust of some sort that is exclusive to members of the Collectors Club, then I'm ok with spending the money.  Yeah, I'm buying a bust maybe I wouldn't otherwise buy, but if the edition size is under 2500 or so, then no big as I can at least sell it for retail.  But if there's no physical reward for it, then next year I won't be ante-ing up again. 

I like their product lots.  I also like relatively limited edition sizes (3500 or less).  But Con exclusives are annoying for those of us that don't live either in California, New York or along the eastern seaboard where the megalopolis occurs and it's really not that hard to drive to Philadelphia or Boston or whereever.  Hey, I'm 7 hours out of Minneapolis and I'd drive there for a Comic Con or whatever, but they don't go there. 

At the same time, having switched from OCD completeist to being less insane has been helpful.  But that doesn't remove the annoyance all the time of this product being hard to come by. 

Thus far I'm a bigger fan of the mayhem the online mad rush system created.  For the most part I had very good success, especially when compared to the current raffle system.  But that's just me.  I'd guess more like the raffle system. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: June 28, 2007, 10:29 AM »
I'm okay with the way they do it for the most part.  I'm okay with small edition sizes - makes them more exciting and special to collect IMO.

I'm also okay with the club.  Even if the 'gift' isn't something worth $50, it's value cuts into the $50 that we spent.  So if the gift is worth $25, then it's like we only spent $25 to be in the raffles.

Having won a Gree and Malak and turned that into a Neyo - the PG club has already been well worth the price for me and there are still 3 more clone commander raffles to go before the 5-pack.

And if by some miracle I win a 5-pack, I can trade off all the ones I already have for busts I'm missing.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: June 28, 2007, 02:42 PM »
The rumor for some time has been that the Premiere Guild gift is a Star Wars mini-bust.  The one that keeps getting cited is the Mynock Hunt Chewbacca.  A freebie like that is pretty cool, IMO.  And the raffles are worth a lot more than people realise.

Just think about the costs involved with going to one of these events that GG is offering an exclusive at.  Celebration 4's 1-day passes alone cost $40, so if you lived in LA and were able to go to the show a Commander Gree bust would still cost you $90 to acquire.  If you're travelling to a show like that your costs rise significantly.  Now think about what it would cost to go to all of those Gentle Giant world tour destinations:  Los Angeles, CA; Tokyo, Japan;  San Diego, CA;  London, England;  and Baltimore, MD.  $50 is a drop in the bucket when you're talking about trying to make it to all of those cities.

The Commander Bacara is going to cost me a fair ammount more than the $50 I'll pay for it at the show in Baltimore.  I've also got to pay for admission to the show as well as car travel expenses.  That's probably going to top $100 for Bacara, even if the show is on the East Coast and I'm able to drive there.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: June 28, 2007, 03:34 PM »
Yeah but you also get to enjoy the show.  The expense isn't solely for Bacara unless you just go there, pick him up, and leave.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: June 28, 2007, 03:42 PM »
True, but the core concept of a show is that you pay admission so that you can gain access to the vendors.  The vendors are the chief attraction for many people who attend a con.  So you have to factor the cost of admission into every purchase you make.  If you make more than the one purchase you do get to a point where you average out your costs (travel expenses plus admission) across all of your purchases.  In the case of Baltimore Comic Con for me?  The Commander Bacara bust is the reason why I'm going to that show.

In the case of Comic Con and C4 there are a lot of things to enjoy at the show aside from the vendors.  There are a lot of panels, celebrities, various licensees, etc.  But that's also what makes SDCC and C4 rather unique compared with the other events on the GG world tour.  Those are the exception to the rule.  I attended C4 because it's the Star Wars Celebration.  The GG and Hasbro offerings were the icing on the cake.  As for San Diego?  I really wanted to go again this year, but between work and financial committments it wasn't going to work out.  So I've got a helper working on getting me a Cody.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 03:47 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline bluesnaggletooth1

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: June 29, 2007, 02:34 PM »
A few things:

The "Free" PG gift is not going to be a mini-bust. It's going to be "a combination of small things" according to GG.

From what I gather, the people who LIKE paying $50 for the raffles better than the free collectors club last year are the ones who never scored any exclusives the old way due to them not being on the ball. These guys don't get near a computer all day, don't have any friends who collect that can place an order for them, no family members to help...they're "collectors" who didn't take the necessary steps to score this stuff. Now they "win" one or two raffles and they are singing the praises of the premium guild. Makes me laugh.

-Snags