Author Topic: Gentle Giant Mini-Busts  (Read 354657 times)

Offline drewlam

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: OT Gentle Giant Busts
« Reply #240 on: November 16, 2004, 02:21 PM »
Has anyone picked up the Gamorrean yet?  I won an auction for one, but wasn't sure if he was actually out yet.  If you have him, how is he?

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 20, 2004, 09:07 PM »
I was fooling around with my digital camera today, and figured I would show off some new pics of my bust collection  ;)

Click images for larger versions. The only ones I'm still missing are the stupid Blue Clone Trooper and the stupid Clone Pilot. Stupid exclusives...  >:(

All the rest of the "missing" busts are just not picked up yet. And I have nowhere to put anymore.  :-\

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 20, 2004, 09:23 PM »
That is an absolutely awesome collection!  My Vader and Jango busts arrived the other day, and I've totally fallen in love with these things.  They're so detailed and surprisingly heavy.  I have to say though that I'm definitely a bigger fan of the busts that have arms included, they add so much to the "drama" of the poses.  My Vader is # 1041 and Jango is # 0609.

Those Stormtroopers look great.  4 different poses, eh?  Hmmm...

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 20, 2004, 10:07 PM »
Those Stormtroopers look great.  4 different poses, eh?  Hmmm...

Actually, there are 5 different poses, but I wasn't impressed with the 5th one so I just display the 4. So I still have 2 "extra" stormtroopers in my closet, 'cause I bought 6 total. Nice low #'s on your Jango and Vader BTW. I ended up with Jango #1896 and Vader #2995. I'd love to get the Vader #1977. That would be so awesome. Or the Boba Fett #1980.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 20, 2004, 10:24 PM »
If you ever wanna get rid of one of those stormies for say...real real cheap or even free, put me on the list.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 20, 2004, 10:33 PM »
Nice low #'s on your Jango and Vader BTW.

Yeah, I was pretty happy with those #'s.  But it seems odd how people seem to be getting #'s that are all over the spectrum.  Getting a low # doesn't really seem to indicate at what time during the release I actually got it.  Strange.

Actually, there are 5 different poses, but I wasn't impressed with the 5th one so I just display the 4. So I still have 2 "extra" stormtroopers in my closet, 'cause I bought 6 total.

Buying a few a time would be the smart way to go, especially after seeing what I paid for shipping.  SWS.com charged me 23.95 US, then FedEx charged me $41.57 CDN  (about $32 US) for brokerage fees (duty and garbage).  At least buying a few at a time might make it seem worth the expense - buying across the border is tough on my Canadian wallet!   :-\

If you ever wanna get rid of one of those stormies for say...real real cheap or even free, put me on the list.

Kevin

Oh, yeah, me too!   :D
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 10:34 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 20, 2004, 11:09 PM »
Jesse, the only way to buy from SSW.com or even gentlegiant.com as a Canuck is to get them sent to someone in the US first.  It can seriously delay them, by a couple of weeks anyway, so that instant satisfaction isn't there, but so much cheaper.  Even with paying the shipping 2x essentially.  It's about $12-14 to get it shipped first in the US, then about $5-8 from there to here, depending on how it's packed, where it's coming from ,etc.  No brokerage fees and often small enough to avoid the customs fees as well. 

Still haven't received my chrome busts from SSW, but they confirmed they have them and will ship next week.  Once again, I think they were surprised by the demand.  Still have a shot at those numbers Dave, but with my luck I'll get Vader 1980 :P  Nice pics too :o
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 20, 2004, 11:49 PM »
Still have a shot at those numbers Dave, but with my luck I'll get Vader 1980 :P 

I'd still be happy with that... I think getting any of the busts with a number corresponding to a film year would be really cool. Even getting Jango or a Clone # 2002 would rock.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 21, 2004, 12:06 AM »
Jesse, the only way to buy from SSW.com or even gentlegiant.com as a Canuck is to get them sent to someone in the US first. 

I think I'm finally starting to clue into this.  I guess I better start sucking up to these wonderful Americans.   ;D

I think getting any of the busts with a number corresponding to a film year would be really cool. Even getting Jango or a Clone # 2002 would rock.

And Dave (if I've got my username to real name corresponded correctly, jokabofe), do you think you can possibly pick your favourite out of all of those busts you've got?  Is their a favourite that really gives you a big dumb grin?  :)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 21, 2004, 12:25 AM »
A single favorite? It would have to be the Boba Fett, just because he's my favorite character from the OT, and they nailed his likeness perfectly. Easier to do with a helmeted character than a non-helmeted one, but still, it's damn near perfect. They are all really good though, at least in my opinion. Even the earlier ones, the ones that nobody wanted at first - Padme, Anakin, Obi-Wan, Mace... even those are great busts.

How about some (dare I say it) disappointments? Even though I said they are all really good, there are just a few that I wasn't as impressed with as I thought (hoped?) I would be.

First would be the MBNA Vader. I don't know why, but I just don't like the smoked chrome look. The more flashy, silver-y chrome of the Jango is just nicer, IMO.

Next would be the Stormtrooper. Yes, I know I bought six, and I display four, but I'm just not as impressed as I wanted to be - as I hoped I would be. Most of the arm poses are just dumb. They could have been given some much better poses. Look at the Clones - the arm poses are all really good, if you ask me. Why not just mimick those with the Stormtrooper? Or at least something along those lines? Most of the Stormtrooper's poses have him holding the gun at his waist. WTF??

But the biggest disappointment would have to be the two exclusive convention pieces that I was unable to get. I was glad that GG changed their policy on the exclusives this year, allowing people that couldn't make it to San Diego for the Luke Stormtrooper to order from their website. Wish they would have done that with the other 2 as well.

(And yes, you've got your username to real name corresponded correctly :) )
« Last Edit: November 21, 2004, 12:26 AM by jokabofe »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 24, 2004, 11:27 AM »
Still no shipping notice on my Chrome Vader.  :'(  Yeah right, shipping Nov 22nd!  ::)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 24, 2004, 11:34 AM »
I'm not sure what they're doing over there.  Ship some 2 weeks early, ship some (at least) 2 days late.  Must be a monkey running the show.  Hopefully they're taking the extra time to package them well.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #252 on: November 24, 2004, 06:21 PM »
Still no shipping notice on my Chrome Vader.  :'(  Yeah right, shipping Nov 22nd!  ::)

I'm in the same boat Dale, and it's making me more than a little nervous...  I'll be pissed if SWS.com screwed the pooch again with this one!   >:(

I'm growing anxious to double the size of my Busts!  Wait, that didn't sound right...   :-[  Looking forward to my second bust, which will hopefully finally convince me to go buy the rest of the OT ones.  Yeah, that's what I meant.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 24, 2004, 06:44 PM »
Just got a shipping confirmation on my Chrome Vader today... should be here by 11/30.  ;D

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #254 on: November 24, 2004, 06:52 PM »
Well, hopefully that's good news for the rest of us Dave.  Maybe I'll have an e-mail waiting at home for me too.  Dale, have you checked your e-mail yet today?  I don't mind the wait, just the sense of insecurity that these goofballs will mess everything up again...

I'm not sure what they're doing over there.  Ship some 2 weeks early, ship some (at least) 2 days late.  Must be a monkey running the show...

Jesse, have you ever seen our SWS.com thread in the Watto's section?  (it's 33 pages long)  You pretty much hit the nail on the head with your observation there:

« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 06:53 PM by JediMAC »