Author Topic: Gentle Giant Mini-Busts  (Read 354495 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: OT Gentle Giant Busts
« Reply #300 on: December 23, 2004, 10:39 AM »
I agree Nick, Mike and Phil fanned the flames a ton by saying hey look what I got and you all don't.  And part of that is just to show what a neat gesture this was but part of that is stir some mania there.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 23, 2004, 11:48 AM »
Ah, you grasped my point exactly, Scott!  The whole thing turned into a "dig me" exhibition.  But some people will probably still not accept that this piece is a promo, and continue to get agitated.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #302 on: December 23, 2004, 01:29 PM »
I also see a lot of jealousy though that those guys got them and others did not.  Which in part is true...but GG does what they want

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #303 on: December 23, 2004, 02:01 PM »
See, now it's pieces like this that make me wish I didn't collect anything at all.  Not because of the collecting aspect of the issue, but the fact that it turns every person on the boards into a complete and total *******.  For whatever reason, nobody can accept how anybody else collects stuff, and it immediately becomes a total ****fest, especially over at Rebelscum, which is why I never go over to that hell hole anymore.

So I'm an avid completist, and I want EVERYTHING in a given line, and I consider this Sandtrooper to be a part of the overall bust line and therefore would like to obtain one.  Big ******' deal!  Why does that have to affect everyone else's life so dramatically?  Some people view the piece as a "promo" or "gift" or whatever, while others see that it's got a 200 unit production run and is going to be available on eBay in small numbers eventually, so they feel it's "obtainable" and therefore part of the line.  Why is that so completely insane and offensive?  I don't freak out over the folks who don't consider it a part of the line.  Hell, that's perfectly fine with me - it's their opinion.  So why can't the converse of that work at all?

How many vintage Vlix figures are still in existence?  Do you think there's vintage collectors out there that are upset their collections are incomplete 'cause they're still missing that little nugget?  Sure.  Not worth screaming and yelling at the guys because they feel that way.  Yeah, not necessarily an apples to apples comparison there, but relatively speaking number wise, it's not that far off.

Just makes me seriously ill to see how intolerant so many people are of digesting others opinions and collecting habits.  It's a personal thing, so different people see it different ways.  Why can't folks just respect that, toss their viewpoint in, and just be done with it.  Seeing the comments (over at RS) about hardcore completists being total idiots who should just get out of collecting is just asinine.

As for Mike and Phil showing off their Sandtrooper busts, I don't see any big deal to that at all.  They run Star Wars collecting news sites, so they'd be remiss to just shove that beautiful piece under the rug to avoid upsetting anyone.  I didn't take it at all that they were saying "I've got one and you don't, so nah, nah, nah, nah, nah!"  Nor am I overly jealous of or feeling resentful towards them - just as jealous as I'd be for any other piece I'm missing from any of my collections.  I don't get upset at Jared for showing me his Freeze Frame Weequay figure.  It's a cool piece, and should be enjoyed.  Jealous of him 'cause he's got one and I don't?  Just a tad, but that's human nature.  Just like seeing a guy drive by in a Ferrari.  Sure, you'd love to have one too, but you don't have to resent the guy who does have it...

Anyway, most of this rant is directed towards the crap in the 'Scum thread.  Just annoyed with all the narrow minded, disrespectful collectors out there, who need to talk **** to anyone and everyone who doesn't see things the same way that they do...

I want one of these Sandtrooper busts.  Hopefully you guys can live with that.  But if the thought of me wanting one sends you into a tizzy, I profusely apologize.

**end rant**
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 02:04 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #304 on: December 23, 2004, 02:13 PM »
Colman, you seriously have not a ******* clue do you? 

So what I'm understanding here, correct me if I'm wrong, is that you're not giving me any money so now I'm left basically with nothing. I'm left with zero. What can I do with zero, y'know, what can...I-I can't do anything with it. This is my life here, we're talking about we're not talking about something else, we're talking about my life, y'know and it's forcing me to do something I don't want to do. To leave to go out and just leave and go home and say make a clean cut here and say 'no way, Corky. you're not putting up with these people and I'll tell why I can't put up with you people because you're bastard-people! That's what you are! You're just bastard people and I'm goin' home and I'm gonna I'm gonna bite my pillow. It's what I'm gonna do.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #305 on: December 23, 2004, 04:22 PM »
Um, ok...   ???

(were those song lyrics, or sumthin'?)

God, my head hurts.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #306 on: December 23, 2004, 04:26 PM »
Nope

Waiting for Guffman

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 23, 2004, 10:06 PM »
So, does that mean Chris got one? Or, better yet, maybe the webmaster of JediDefender.com should get one, no? I mean, if all those other guys that run collecting websites got them, shouldn't someone here get one? I mean, we do run one of the largest collecting sites online, don't we?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 29, 2004, 11:54 PM »
Han Stormie update:

Han Solo In Stormtrooper Disguise Mini-Bust
Han Solo in Stormtrooper Disguise Mini-Bust - We were all ready to send out the link to purchase the exclusive mini-bust, but we've encountered some minor technical difficulties in setting up our new online store.  Our hope was to send out the link before the Christmas holiday and it got pushed back, then our goal was to have it out by New Years and that was dashed.  Now our goal is to send out the link early January, we appreciate your patience with this matter.

So ya know, email came tonight.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 30, 2004, 06:37 PM »
Giggle, giggle.  Look what showed up today:

I'm gonna rip into these babies tonite.  More pics to follow!   :D

[Giggles out the door] 

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 1, 2005, 11:46 AM »
So many cool poses to choose from:

Just a word of warning: be very careful when setting up this pose below.  I cracked 2 fingers on his left hand trying to line up the blaster in his hand.   :-[

So what's better than 1 Stormie?  2!

Here's all the pieces: 2 left arms, 2 right arms, 2 blasters, a long range weapon, and a rotating head.

My numbers: 5388 and 6030 out of 10,000.

As a bonus, GG included a free Bust-Up with each Stormie.   :) 
What are the chances, I got a Leia with each one.   ::)

EDIT:  Cool!  Actually, 2 Leia's, but one is the regular, one is the variant.    :D

« Last Edit: January 1, 2005, 12:12 PM by JesseVader08 »

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 1, 2005, 03:17 PM »
As a bonus, GG included a free Bust-Up with each Stormie.   :) 
What are the chances, I got a Leia with each one.   ::)

Don't feel bad. I bought a case of these busts, and got a Leia with each one. And I didn't even get a variant  :-\

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #312 on: January 1, 2005, 04:27 PM »
I'm cooling off a bit with the busts.  The fact that the first few were released at 2,500, and now they are being pumped out at 8,000 and 10,000 is kind of turning me off fast.  I grabbed the 3PO because I really liked it in sandiego, but the rest don't do it for me like the 3PO.

I grabbed the Amidala and Anakin cheap($18-$24ish) once the second wave hit back when.  Mostly because I could forsee completists wanting to go back and grab the first few(and 2,500 aint many) so I grabbed them when I could cheap.  But now, it's a $50item being massed produced.  They'll cool off and all the latest mini's will be all over ebay from here on out.
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 1, 2005, 04:46 PM »
I became interested in the mini-busts very late in the game, and certainly don't see myself trying to pursue them all, just my favourties.  With that being said, I really couldn't care if they are a limited release - 1000, 10000 or 100000 - doesn't matter to me.  I just buy them because they look incredible.  The more they make, the more likely I am to find one to put on my shelf.  Assuming they don't sacrifice quality for quantity, I'm really glad they're increasing their production.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 2, 2005, 01:00 AM »
The fact that the first few were released at 2,500, and now they are being pumped out at 8,000 and 10,000 is kind of turning me off fast.

I really couldn't care if they are a limited release - 1000, 10000 or 100000 - doesn't matter to me.  I just buy them because they look incredible.  The more they make, the more likely I am to find one to put on my shelf.  Assuming they don't sacrifice quality for quantity, I'm really glad they're increasing their production.

While I can understand both sides of that arguement, I'd have to say I agree with Jesse on this one. Yeah, collectibility and the possibility of reselling my busts somewhere down the line when I need some cash or get out of collecting is nice, but if they limit the production numbers back down to the original levels (2500, 3000, etc.), I won't have anything new to sell, because they will be so hard to find. I wouldn't care if they make 10,000 of everything going forward. I'm really not buying them as investments for the future. If they turn out to be that, that's great. If not, doesn't bother me one bit.

I think what GG needs to do is a little more research about who the more popular characters are, and increase the numbers on those, and the lesser "collector oriented" characters numbers could be dropped a little. But the numbers aren't really all that important. Look at Boba Fett. At 7500, he's one of the most highly produced busts, yet he still commands $200+ on the secondary market. They could have made 10,000, even 15,000 of his bust and it still would have been a sell out, and probably still sell for more than the original $50 price tag. Now Darth Vader on the other hand, only had an issue size of 3500. Lot smaller, and I would have to say that there are more Darth Vader fans than Boba Fett fans out there. Busts like the Luke X-Wing and the Bossk, Greedo, etc. - they probably could have gotten away with smaller edition sizes, like in the 3500 range, because these things are sitting everywhere.

These are getting easier to find, now that certain mass market retailers are actually carrying them (like Suncoast), but if more and more people start collecting them, they will start drying up again, and you'll have unscrupulous comic shop dealers ordering extra cases just so they can put them on ebay a month or two after release and make double and triple their money instead of just selling them to their customers at regular retail.