Author Topic: Is Rock & Roll dead?  (Read 4368 times)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
Re: Is Rock & Roll dead?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2006, 12:37 PM »
I've got the Wolfmother album, and it's 'okay'... but I think all of the word-of-mouth that it's comparible to the good **** of the 60/70's is way overdone. It's retro, sure, but if this were a band of the day, it'd be at Vanilla Fudge's level - nowhere near Led Zeppelin or any of the other names being dropped.

But seriously, My Morning Jacket kicks ass.

My Morning Jacket.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2006, 12:41 PM »
I can hook you up with it Matt.

That would be swell.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2006, 12:57 PM »
Do you have the Wolfmother album, Nick?  And if so, care to do any uploading?  :D  I've heard the single and really like it, and have heard nothing but positive things about the full record.

I've got a promo copy.  I think there may actually be some kind of copyguard on it.  I haven't tried ripping it into my iTunes yet.  But the whole record is pretty cool.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2006, 02:34 PM »
Its really hard to give recommendations to people...one suggestion I'd give is that you sign up at this site...

http://www.last.fm/user/ocb75

along similer lines, I recommend Pandora.  Enter an artist, it will play a song by them, then will play similar artists with album info.

I've been using it to get familiar with some new Bluegrass artists.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline S_A_Longhorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Hook 'Em Horns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2006, 03:09 PM »

Audioslave is great, there are a couple of new Buck Cherry songs I enjoy. System of a Down has some excellent music.  Green Day is still alive and kicking.

I can't believe I agree with JOSHEEE!  :o

I love rock music, and I cannot stomach rap for more than a minute.  While I agree, most free rock radio is getting stale, simple b.c they refuse to play a lot of new artists.  I still listen to my local SA station, if only b/c I am familiar with 98% of the music and for local rock news & concerts.  The 2% would represent the "new" material.

As for recommendations, this is what I got in my changer in my Stang currently:

1. Godsmack - IV
2. Buckcherry - 15
3. Distrubed - 10,000 Fists
4. System of a Down - Mezmerize
5. Flyleaf - Flyleaf (self-titled)
6. New GNR - Chinese Democracy bootlegs

I can listen to all these albums interchangeably.  This year, I have purchased the new Buckcherry, Godsmack, and Flyleaf CDs.  Even tho Flyleaf can be considered a christian band, their lyrics are very introspective and every song is worth listening to.  The other 5 bands have a well-known following.  Worthy mention of Buckcherry's, Disturbed's, and System's albums.  Great use of guitars and melodies one each album.  the Buckcherry album will take you back to the times of great Party Music. 

The new Godsmack album lacks the metal crunch of the previous 3 albums, but is easily a good rock album.  Try sampling a couple of their new songs on MySpace. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 03:18 PM by S_A_Longhorn »
"WE HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE.  TODD WILL COOPERATE."
-Sarah Palin to Charlie Gibson, a week before her husband, Todd Palin, refused to cooperate

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2006, 03:34 PM »
Here's a sample of My Morning Jacket... this is a taper copy from Bonnaroo 2006...

One Big Holiday
The Way That He Sings
Golden
Dondonte #2
Anytime
Loving Cup (Rolling Stones) / Easy Morning Rebel
Attitude (Misfits)
Run Thru

Let me know if you like what you hear... I'm trying to spread the gospel.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2006, 12:23 PM »
I can hook you up with it Matt.

(cough)
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."