Author Topic: NHL 2006-07  (Read 32289 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: NHL 2006-07
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2007, 10:50 AM »
Judging by the state of the roads I've been driving on, they're only standard issue for the Highway department ::)  I am going to have to give my neighbour a hard time though.  His rink is about the same size and I see him outside with a hose a couple of times a week in the winter.  Amatoor.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2007, 06:53 PM »
****! Ryan Smyth to the Islanders.  :'(

****!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2007, 01:31 AM »
The Pens tried arming up for the playoffs if they make it...  Given the last 2 performances I have my doubts, though tonight was well played, just couldn't crack Brodeur...  Anyway though, Roberts and Laraque from Panthers and Coyotes respectively...  Some other minor deals too for younger guys.

Roberts I think will fit nicely, but honestly I am unsure on Laraque...  It's good having an enforcer I guess, especially after some of the cheap **** given to Crosby here and there by guys like Blake not too long ago...  Crosby takes care of himself more though.  To me it's guys like Malkin that need it more as he's a swizzel stick out there. 

Everyone loves an ass kicker though...  I just hope he's able to fit and not be a wasted roster slot.

Moore got dealt and I'm disappointed there in a way because he was our only good man on face-offs.  We have been struggling there, and I think it's become a much more important aspect to the game in the last couple years here.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2007, 08:48 AM »
Moore got dealt and I'm disappointed there in a way because he was our only good man on face-offs. 

Thank you!   :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #79 on: March 1, 2007, 12:29 AM »
 >:(

Enjoy your won faceoffs...
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 1, 2007, 02:25 AM »
I've been following the Bruins for years, but ever since they dealt Thornton I've had a hard time caring.  After years of them trading away star players, I think it was the final straw for me.  :-\

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #81 on: March 6, 2007, 01:27 AM »
The Penguins are amping up the pressure on the local politicians (read: douchebags), to get the deal done.  Apparantly everything the politicians have been saying publicly was utter BS (no way!), and the negotiations haven't been going super smooth as was implied.  This is such bull****...

My hope is, and I truly hope this (pray for me), that it's the Penguins blowing smoke up everyone's ass to get them in gear on this deal...  I really do hope that's all it is.  I'm hopeful this all just gets hashed out and I have hockey to watch, otherwise I'm gonna forever hate all parties involved (Lemieux included, my childhood idol) for taking away the only sport I ever really loved.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 6, 2007, 03:48 PM »
For your sake Jesse, I hope so.  Because it looks and sounds way, waaaaaaaay too familiar to me.  The Jets went through the same stupid routine with politicians ::)

On the bright side, it really looked like the Oilers were going to leave at one point as well, so it could go either way (duh).

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2007, 12:55 AM »
Thanks Brent...

So I was sitting here Thursday night late as the government officials, Bettman, and Lemieux/Co. were in Philly for almost 5 hours in a meeting...  They came out, released a joint statement (that's key) and said it was progress but they'd again meet on Wednesday this upcoming week... 

I literally sat with my stomach in knots.  Dumb, but I worry over a lot of things out of my control all the time I find.

Then the sports talk show was discussing the situation and things...  The local anchors on this show are the most into hockey (KDKA's guys), and they felt the deal's likely to go through, they still feel that way, but they have reservations and doubts still...  But ultimately they think it'll get done.  But they were discussing the situation if it were to go awry...

They were saying Nashville has a clause to leave that city I guess after this year, and that they can't get (despite being one of the best NHL teams) people to go to games and sell out their arena, so that's why that clause is there and such, and that a theory going around is Pitt moves to KC, and Nashville moves here (if the Pens did decide to move that is).  That was one scenario was all, that the anchors said was completely possible and wouldn't surprise them if it went that way should the Pens decide to leave.

Either way I don't want the Pens leaving...  I like the team we have, obviously, and really am excited about Pens hockey.  I waited over a decade for htis kind of excitement about the team, and would be simply depressed if it went away.

Anyway, that's what's going on...  Wednesday they meet again at another undisclosed location...  All I know is if it doesn't happen I'll hold it against the politicians here forever for not getting it done.

In other sports news, my dinky hometown high school won the WPIAL class A championship (lost tonight in the state championship though).  For a graduating class of 16 Senior boys, that's not too shabby no matter if you're single A or quad A.

I hate basketball but my hometown's all over the Pittsburgh media right now because our school hasn't done this in 88 years of basketball, and we are so small in this district.  It's a little fascinating.  Though the media is sorta kinda lying to sensationalize the story...  Well, not lying, but they're not volunteering information to make the story sound more dramatic than it is.  That was a little annoying because it sort of belittled the area I live in, and wasn't true at all.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2007, 01:38 AM »
From an outside perspective (and one that's been drinking) that's just downright odd. 

I get it that the Pens might leave if they don't get the deal they're after.  I get that KC is the most probable (ptui) place for them to go (Go Chiefs).  I can live with all that.

I also get that the Preds, despite being on top of the league, may end up leaving Nashville.  That's a pretty long standing rumour this season.  I think it unfortunate, much as I loathe hockey in non-traditional markets. 

What I don't get is why the hell a team would up and move out of Pittsburgh, which to me has pretty decent support, and then another team would move in.  Huh?  If the team goes (Penguins) because they can't get the deal they want, I just don't buy another team going into what the Penguins consider to be an untenable situation.  If it's that bad that they'll move, is someone else (i.e. the Preds owner) really that stupid to move to Pittsburgh? 

The more likely probability is that should Pittsburgh move, you're every bit as screwed as we were.  If Nashville ends up moving, then they'll go to some hockey hotbed, like Atlanta for example ::)

And not that you want to read this, but the more I think about situations, Pittsburgh's more closely parallels what happened in Winnipeg than Edmonton.  I still think you guys can retain the Pens, but when the Jets moved it was more than an ownership issue.  That was supposedly the biggest part, but the lack of a revenue generating arena was probably bigger than anything else.  Edmonton, if I recall correctly, was simply finding an owner, or in their case, group of owners, that would take it over.  I think they're still in the Coliseum and haven't moved, so the arena was never an issue.  Pittsburgh, like Winnipeg, has ownership AND revenue/arena issues :-\

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2007, 01:35 AM »
Based on your post Brent, I'm guessing you're under the assumption there's a possibility we won't get a new building in Pittsburgh, which is not true...  There's not a doubt in anyone's mind, Pen's leaving or not, that Pittsburgh will have a new arena in place of the Civic Arena (that's what I know it as, it's called Mellon Arena now though...  Just thought I'd mention that since it can be confusing). 

The arena issue isn't "will they get a new one or won't they?", as much as it is, "when the new one comes, who's footing how much of it?", more than anything.  The Pens are mad because of the Slots deal falling through as it gave them a 100% free Arena without any tax dollars or anything.  They just needed their partner, Isle of Capri, to get the license which they are appealing that decision now (it was awarded to someone affiliated with Jerome Bettis out of Detroit). 

So, the theory touted by the hockey-centric sports guys in town is that IF the Pens leave (which these guys are saying they feel they won't leave), that the Predators could be moved to Pittsburgh to take the deal the Penguins are trying negotiate now a bit more in their favor...  if that makes sense.

I haven't been drinking and still find what I wrote fairly confusing, but ultimately I know there is a rhyme to the reason there, haha.

Wednesday this week they negotiate again...  hopefully it comes out positive (as I guess the other night did), and the Penguins stay, and all is right with the world.  We're one of the top U.S. Markets for hockey so I really am hoping that's a major ace in the sleeve of them staying here, however I want the Penguins to be here, get their building...  For me, they deserved teh slots license in the first place, there was a lot of underhanded politics involved in that BS...  A lot of frustration.  I just want my damn hockey here.  These past 2 years have been the most exciting I've watched since the cup years as a local hockey fan...  Don't want to lose that at all.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2007, 02:22 PM »
Just some food for discussion on Jesse's Pens and Nashville and other "Hockey Hotbeds"...

First up, average NHL attendance per home game this year (06-07)

1  Montreal   21273
  2  Detroit   20066
  3  Tampa Bay   19786
  4  Toronto   19467
  5  Philadelphia   19304
  6  Ottawa   19294
  7  Calgary   19289
  8  Buffalo   18690
  9  Vancouver   18630
10  Minnesota   18442
11  NY Rangers   18200
12  Dallas   17847
13  Colorado   17630
14  San Jose   17404
15  Carolina   17176
16  Edmonton   16839
17  Los Angeles   16774
18  Columbus   16433
19  Pittsburgh   16278
20  Anaheim   16210
21  Atlanta   15980
22  Florida   15242
23  Nashville   14999
24  Phoenix   14724
25  Boston   14422
26  New Jersey   13978
27  Washington   13547
28  Chicago   12771
29  NY Islanders   12532
30  St. Louis   12177

No surprise that the SE USA and the bad teams dominate the bottom half of the list....   But look at TB up at #3 in average attendance.  Proof I guess that if your team is good, people will come watch even in the south. 

Next, these are the ten teams that have "sold-out" every home game this year... in fact, the top six teams listed are actually over 100% of their seating capacity thanks to standing room and additional suite tickets)
  • Calgary      112.4%
  • Ottawa      104.3%
  • Toronto      103.5%
  • Minnesota   102.1%
  • Vancouver   101.1%
  • Tampa Bay   100.1%
  • Montreal     100.0%
  • Detroit       100.0%
  • Buffalo       100.0%
  • NY Rangers   100.0%

Gee, look at that.  5 of the 6 Canadian teams, 4 Northern US Teams, and kudos to TB (I guess having a really good team really makes a difference  :P).

And these are the bottom ten who can't even fill their buildings (>90% of capacity).
  • Nashville     87.7%
  • Atlanta       86.2%
  • Phoenix      84.1%
  • Florida        79.2%
  • Boston        77.4%
  • NY Islanders   76.9%
  • New Jersey   73.4%
  • Washington   72.6%
  • Chicago       62.3%
  • St. Louis      58.0%

Man, I had to double check, but yeah - things are so bad in STL that nearly half the building has been empty the whole year.   :o

Also kind of surprised to see Chicago, NJ and Boston on there, but I guess that's more "no one wants to see a sucky team" related than anything else.

And, one last interesting note [insert knife]...

Using the median NHL attendance figure of buildings running at approximately 95% capacity, a certain 16,000 seat MTS Centre in a certain Canadian prairie town would average 15200 tickets putting it around 22-23 on the list.  [twist].   :-*

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2007, 11:10 PM »
Bear in mind the Pen's attendance # there is partially because our building is incredibly small too...  Their 16,000 number is a little deceiving because of how small the building is compared to most other NHL arenas anymore.

That said...

KDKA in Pittsburgh is reporting the Penguins are staying, that it's a done deal...  They said the team is to announce this before the game with Buffalo tomorrow night but they got "inside" word on this I guess.  Supposedly.  Ron Burkle (co-owner) said "seeing is believing" about it rather than commenting, but the report is that Wednesday's meeting is to just get the i's dotted and t's crossed, and that last week's meeting found a deal both sides were committed to, and they're saying a big part of it was that all parties were present at the meeting, plus Bettman, and the deal got done then...

I'm hoping this is true.  Another plus is it's in a part of town that needs something new and fresh built there.  The Hill District in Pittsburgh is a really run down part of town, so anything new there will be a positive, despite some of the criticism residents there say about it. 

I'm very hopeful right now. :)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2007, 11:53 PM »
Jesse, thanks for the clarification, I wasn't aware the arena was a done deal.  I think I should clarify too that in Winnipeg that while there was hedging on whole aspect of the arena, much of the sticking point was who got what (concessions, parking revenue, etc.) so aspects of the debate are similar.  I agree it seems more likely after reading your clarification that Pittsburgh will have a team, but I still suggest it's not guaranteed in this era of greed.  I can't see the Pens leaving and someone else wanting the deal they left because of.

With respect to Jeff's attendance numbers (well, the NHL's numbers), I'd love to see those broken down to paying attendance versus giveaways/discounts/promotions (buy one get one free).  I'm sorry, but when I'm watching a hockey game from Carolina/LA/Florida and I'm looking at the stands, there ain't no damn way a midweek game against the Vancouver Canucks is drawing 15-17K.  They'd be lucky if it's half that.  The lower bowl is always half empty and I'm sure security is good, but I don't buy the upper bowl being totally full.  I completely respect the numbers out of Toronto and Detroit, the rest I'm not so sure of. 

Jeff's point about the Canadian and northern US teams is accurate I would suggest.  I think looking at the Dallas/Colorado/Rangers numbers they're good too.

Interesting to note that Winnipeg's attendance numbers always ranged between about 11-13K in a 15000 seat arena where 3000 seats were near-death experiences.  Even the year we had the 30+ game losing streak wasn't much different than the year we finished 3rd overall.  And we paid for those tickets too.  Maybe they'll give us Washington or the Islanders? ::)

Ever bitter....

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2007, 12:08 AM »
Bear in mind the Pen's attendance # there is partially because our building is incredibly small too...  Their 16,000 number is a little deceiving because of how small the building is compared to most other NHL arenas anymore.

Yeah, that's why I tried to get those "capacity" numbers in there for comparison... but I guess I left out the middle ten teams.   :-X
  • San Jose   99.5%
  • Philadelphia   99.0%
  • Edmonton   98.5%
  • Colorado   97.9%
  • Dallas      96.3%
  • Pittsburgh   96.0%
  • Anaheim   94.5%
  • Carolina   91.7%
  • Los Angeles   90.7%
  • Columbus   90.6%

You can see there that The Pens fill 96% of the arena on average.  That to me says more about attendance than just the total numbers - you can only draw so much based on the seats you have.

With respect to Jeff's attendance numbers (well, the NHL's numbers), I'd love to see those broken down to paying attendance versus giveaways/discounts/promotions (buy one get one free). 

Unfortunately, the NHL doesn't care if bodies are in the seats, only that someone paid for them.   :P

And, remember those are just the average numbers.  I'm sure Nashville has it's share of split games - 17000 (sell-out) for games against Detroit, 11000 (6k empty seats) for a few of those Tuesday night games.

I agree that the numbers seem fishy, but the way teams count attendance is fishy anyway.