Author Topic: Clone Wars Figure Rumors/Speculation  (Read 179558 times)

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Clone Wars Figure Rumors/Speculation
« Reply #270 on: April 4, 2010, 11:12 AM »
I'm just really hoping for an animated version of Barriss Offee.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: April 4, 2010, 11:54 PM »
Oh yeah, whoever the bounty hunter was with the Shaolin hat from Friday night's TCW episode, I want at least 3 of those. COOLEST...NEW...CHARACTER...EVER!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline David

• Jedi Knight
  • EchoBaseNews.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 5, 2010, 01:48 AM »
I'd buy all of the bounty hunters from Friday night's episode and a few turtle farmers, too. That was probably the best episode of the second season.
David Delgado
Owner
EchoBaseNews.com
Keeping Star Wars Cool Since 2008!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 5, 2010, 11:23 AM »
Agreed, this was my favorite episode this year so far.

There was a lot of great toy fodder from that episode. I'd love all the bounty hunters, especially Embo (voiced by Dave Filoni apparently).

What would really be slick though, would be that republic ship they flew in on that looked like the B-Wing prototype. Include a collapsible ejection pod and I'm all over it.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 9, 2010, 02:48 AM »
I found one of the answers at Mouse Droid to be interesting.  They asked if characters such as Palpatine, Bail and Satine would be coming in the CW line.  Hasbro said no, they're not putting "obscure characters" into the line. 

I don't think any of those three are what I would call "obscure" since all three have been in multiple episodes whereas 4A-7 was only in the film, IIRC, as was Whorm Loathsom.

I also don't see how Hasbro could really use the "aggressive" or "action oriented" arguments against these characters either, at least not Satine, since they did do 4A-7, for example, Jawas, or even Yularen who is just as much of an old-guy-in-a-suit as any Senator.

Don't really care either way, because I wouldn't buy any of the three named above, but I just find Hasbro's answer to not necessarily be consistent with other choices they've made in the line.  Or, maybe it is, in a way, since Yularen, 4A-7 and the Jawas are not really what you would call hot sellers.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #275 on: April 9, 2010, 03:01 AM »
Yularen's in a lot of episodes, so I see how he gets a pass...

Satine, they've really got that thing against female characters, even action-oriented ones, so I think that's biting her in the ass.

Not so sure on Bail.  I thought he was figure-worthy...

The line's pretty squarely aimed at kids though too, so the "rules" they've expressed int he past (Senators = boring, yada yada yada.  Female figures don't sell, yada yada yada.) probably apply doubly for a line that's pretty squarely aimed at kids.  Part of me wonders if some of those, like 4-A7 and Jawas, were an early attempt at a fan wank, and they've realized the core adult collector-base isn't supporting Clone Wars 3D enough to warrant those anymore.  *shrugs*

I have no clue though, just some possible thoughts on it...  I imagine they are extra cautious with Clone Wars, at least in the realm of obscurity and possible peg death.  Yularren's a pretty badass figure, so it's a shame he isn't selling.  If they'd made 50% of his production Yularren, and 50% a Clone head on the same body with the same accessories as some kind of running change, I think they'd have made a bigger impact with that one. :)  Love that holo-table and wish I had 30 more of them.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #276 on: April 9, 2010, 09:41 AM »
Well, that completely sucks if true about Satine.  I hold out hope - remember, they weren't going to do obscure figures like Nahdar - so we'll see.  But I agree with the point that obscure doesn't really apply to these characters.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: April 9, 2010, 09:42 AM »
I bought Yularen JUST for the table and I think issuing that figure with a clone head would not be a bad idea.  Unfortunately, if you read all of the Q&A this week, Hasbro has nixed all future running changes.  So they'd have to issue that type of figure as a whole new run at this point.

The funny thing with the Clone Wars line is that one of the best selling figures has been Ahsoka.  You rarely find her on the pegs even though they've put out at least 2 versions of her so far, and reissued the first version in one or two additional cases after her initial release.  

I don't find either of the Padme figures clogging up pegs either.  Both of her figures have been harder to find around here compared to pretty much any version of Anakin or Obi-Wan.  I also wouldn't call Ventress a bad seller.  As far as the female characters go, so far, they've been a hit from what I can see.  I think Satine would have been a good figure to do in her more action oriented outfit but, maybe not, since she's only been in that 3 episode run so far.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: April 9, 2010, 10:29 AM »
Kind of a cop-out if you ask me. If Hasbro doesn't want to make those figures because they don't think they will sell, that's fine, just say that. But to marginalize them as "obscure characters" is insulting and asinine. I could rattle off the names of dozens of figures they have made that had a LOT less screen time than Duchess Satine, and a LOT less speaking lines as well. (Seriously, the Mando guard isn't more obscure than her? Puh-lease)

It's the same tired argument they trot out against making the Twilight too. "It's not an iconic vehicle". AYFKM? How iconic was Plo Koon's starfighter?  ::)

They can make whatever marketing decisions they like, I just want them to admit that they are producing toys solely based on what they think will sell, and there is virtually no correlation to the object/character's actual presence on the show.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #279 on: April 9, 2010, 10:31 AM »
Four if you count the Senate Murders episode.  ;)

I'm bummed that Hasbro is so dismissive of a figure like Satine as she played a major part in the Mando arc and with having such close ties to Obi-Wan, you'd think she would be a shoo-in.

What I find more surprising is writing off Palpatine. While not the most action oriented of figures, I think he warrants getting his own release which would require little new tooling. The underlying body could be recycled from Sidious and recast/repainted in reddish tones. The head could be reused as is (with out the hood of course) requiring only that an slip on outer robe be molded.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: April 9, 2010, 11:21 AM »
The funny thing with the Clone Wars line is that one of the best selling figures has been Ahsoka.  You rarely find her on the pegs even though they've put out at least 2 versions of her so far, and reissued the first version in one or two additional cases after her initial release.

No joke there.  Our daughter has decided lately that she wants a few Clone Wars figures, and we haven't been able to find an Ahsoka anywhere.  On a side note, and I'm sure it is just an anomaly, but our local stores didn't have the "regular" Anakin or Obi-Wan on the pegs either.  The only Obi I've seen is a single space suit version.  I can see why they repack those types of characters in a line like this, aimed squarely at kids, those should always be available at retail.

On the subject of Bail/Satine/Palps, I don't think it makes a lot of sense either.  Like others have said, we've seen figures more obscure than that in the line already, unless - like Jesse mentioned - those were early "tests" to see if collectors were buying in.  I can understand avoiding to much obscurity (like Senators, etc.), but I think all three of those mentioned are deserving of figures.  Hopefully we'll see them in a battle pack or some form eventually.  I have to admit, I always thought those CW Jawas would be tough to find - but I see them quite often these days (alongside Kit Fisto, Adventure Padme, and the IG Droids).

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: April 9, 2010, 03:29 PM »
How iconic was Plo Koon's starfighter?  ::)

Dave Filoni loves Plo Koon and Hasbro has as much as said they're going to do any Plo Koon stuff they can at this point.  Really, why else would Hasbro issue him in the CW line, have an ongoing Legends release of him and then pick him for an update in the ROTS wave for TLC (and repack him in the ESB case)?  Plus, don't forget the Target BP for Christmas.

In an Echo Base Forum answer this week, Hasbro said they were doing one of two characters (Kit Fisto or Plo Koon) from their appearance in the Dark Horse Clone Wars comic.  I can almost guarantee you it'll be Plo Koon.

E...

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #282 on: April 9, 2010, 03:41 PM »
Plus there is the Koon on Speeder Bike in the works as well.

« Last Edit: April 9, 2010, 03:41 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #283 on: April 9, 2010, 04:07 PM »
I just read the Mousedroid Q&A, and basically they said exactly what I was trying to convey...

Clone Wars = line for the kids predominantly, with very little collector interest.  And Legacy = line for both, and many more collector-targeted figures.  Hasbro's doing what they're doing because they don't feel the collector-base is there in Clone Wars to support "obscurity", and in general I think they're right on the adult-market not being there to support things getting too obscure in that line.

I think Satine hits the relatively obscure issue, plus a female character...  Ahsoka's a main character on the show, with whole episodes revolving around her, so I'm not surprised she's selling.  I think Hasbro might be a little shocked at how well since she's not one anyone sees often.  Would Satine come close though?  I see Padmes a bit, and she's more important than Satine as a character in the series (far more appearances and not likely to be done showing up anytime soon), so how would Satine fair then by comparison?  That's assuming Satine's not going to be a regular on the show.

Clone Wars is a weird one...  It's like "Collection 1" from the old days is its own separate line now, while Collection 2 is broken amongst 2 audiences.

I'm just speculating...  There's a lot of stuff to be revealed yet, so who knows.  Maybe Satine or something is a surprise up their sleeves? 

As far as comparing the Twilight and Plo Koon's fighter...  That's apples and oranges.  Different sizes/price points, and not to mention the tooling exists for Plo's fighter in the $25 assortment while a new Twilight would be pretty expensive to tool up in the first place (not that it's a bad idea for a vehicle, it just can't be compared realistically to Plo's fighter)...  repaints are just a fact of life in the hobby, as they fund other things (new things) getting made.  I actually really like Plo's fighter deco, but I won't buy because I can't keep loading Jedi Fighters up around here.  Some kid will probably dig it though, as will some adults, and maybe someday it'll help fund the Twilight.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 9, 2010, 04:40 PM »
The answer about female characters & Senators is very telling for the Clone Wars line.  We are definitely not the target market.  And it seems that kids would just find characters like this to be boring. 

Case in point: I don't think we'll see the Senator from Orto Plutonia who played a big part in "Trespass" even though we've gotten Thi-Sen, Anakin, Obi-Wan and Rex from that episode.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback