Author Topic: JD Fantasy Basketball 06-07  (Read 44566 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Basketball 06-07
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2006, 04:04 PM »
Looking over the draft I have to say I'm pretty pleased with what I ended up with.  That's no real surprise I suppose given there's only 8 teams, so it would be a bit difficult to assemble a real dog.  I do hate drafting in the latter half though.  Sure, you end up with two great picks but I just really like having one of the top guys in the draft, even if it costs down the line. 

I sure never expected Brand to make it down to #7 (thanks John for the autodraft :P) so I got size where I thought I'd be taking a guard.  I also didn't expect Chris Paul to be back to me at the next pick, so thanks Dressel for that one too.  Probably the hardest part of the draft was watching the next 12 picks and much, much to my surprise Billups made it back to me.  If I'd known he'd do that, I never would have taken Paul with my second pick.  I just saw the PG pool getting a bit thin after Paul and Billups were gone.... so started my dilemma with too many PGs. 

Round 4 was tough too.  I like Lewis, he did well for me last year and he's in a contract year as well so it bodes well, but Scott hurt me taking Redd next.  I knew he'd never make it back around, but still. 

Round 5 was a compromise, I needed a shooting guard badly so I picked Wallace, basically a gamble.  He could be a huge steal in round 5 and he could break me down to tears pretty easily as well. 

Boozer I had my eye on and was contemplating a round earlier but Dressel already had some size, so I risked losing him in two picks and still got him.  Yeah, he's injury prone over the years.  But if he stays 70 games healthy, he'll be a monster.  His stats from last year are really misleading given how little he played.  I would have had a real dilemma had Dressel not taken Wallace at that point, but he resolved it for me.

Round 7 was another stretch probably on my part taking West, but he has such a nice even line that he's a great fit at the utility slot.  Everything good, nothing great, but nothing bad. 

After that point it kind of became a free for all and Scott and Dressel started pissing me off >:( taking the guy I had lined up immediately before me on multiple occasions.  I wanted Hamilton to come back to me but nope.  I wanted Mo.Pete to last another two rounds ::) but nope.  I was going to take Roy, but nope.  My next two were Turkoglu and Howard.  Yeesh. 

I'm not at all unhappy with the second half of the draft though, I just didn't get guys I was after. 
Bell will help with threes.
Ford could be really scary this year with the Raptors uptempo speed.
Granger will hopefully get that center eligibility and if he does I'm set at C in a very nice way.
Murphy's a nice fill in with size.  He, Granger and West are pretty much identical.  All unspectacular, but all really dependable. 
Williams put up 26 points in exhibition the other night and averaged about 16 after the break last year 8)
Mohammed is a risk, but it was round 13 and I needed another big man.  Could work out really well in Saunders offense but will be less important if Granger gets that C designation. 

Overall just real happy, except SG.  If Wallace has a great year, I'm set.  If not, well that's just fantasy sports, isn't it?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2006, 04:30 PM »
I absolutely love my team except at Center, I wanted either Ben Wallace and Kaman (I could have taken him but wanted Jamison instead) to add to FG% Rebounds and Blocks and didn't get either.  Miller will be solid but he's not a true rebounding shot blocking center per se.  I also hope one of the rookies pan out...

I also had my computer freeze three times during the draft, first round I got who wanted in Dirk anyway, the round I took Nocioni (7th I think) I was going to take MoPete and then in round 8 I was going to take Villanueva, I like Nocioni so I'm not entirely pissed Itook him but then I took MoPete too and passed on Charlie V.  The third time was rounds 11 and 12, I didn't want Randolph or Simmons

Still like my team and think I'll be right in the hunt only really lacking in Blocks and FG%.  Last year I didn't have any scorers and it sucked, this year I made sure I got that covered w/ Dirk, Redd and AI

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2006, 08:06 PM »

I sure never expected Brand to make it down to #7 (thanks John for the autodraft :P) so I got size where I thought I'd be taking a guard.  I also didn't expect Chris Paul to be back to me at the next pick, so thanks Dressel for that one too. 

Hrmmmm.  Just taking a quick look at last year's stats among the 2 players I took instead of Paul, vs. Paul himself:

Player                      FG%     FT%    3's    Pts    Reb    Ast       ST      BLK    TO

Gilbert Arenas              44.7      82      2.5   29.3   3.5      6.1     2.0       .3       3.7

Steve Nash                  51.2      92      1.9    18.9   4.2     10.5    0.8      .2       3.5

Chris Paul                    43.0      85      0.6    16.1   5.1      7.8     2.2      .1       2.4

Looking at the comparison, it pretty much confirms what I thought - maybe you shouldn't be thanking me.  Nash is a better player, not to mention last year's MVP (and the year before that).  Nash outnumbers Paul in categories by 5 to 4, but really puts Paul to shame in 4 of those categories FG%, FT%, 3's, AST; whereas Paul only puts Nash to shame in 2 categories TO and ST.

Arenas does bow down to Paul in 5 of the 9 categories, but there is a really massive divide in Arenas over Paul in PTS and 3's; whereas Paul does have a huge edge over Arenas only in TO.

Following that logic, and since all categories are weighed equally, I judge Arenas and Nash to be better than Paul.  But hey, you beat my ass in year 1.  You'll probably do it again I reckon.   I'm not so hot at basketball admittedly.

About the rest of my draft other than Arenas and Nash as #1 and #2, I love both Diaw and Artest #3 and #4. 

Diaw has both PF/C eligibility and puts up contributing numbers in many categories including last year's 52% FG, 13 PPG, 7 REB, 6 AST, 1 BLK/G, .7 ST/G.  He can really fill up the stat sheet.  He's a unique guy for sure.

Then there is my man crush Artest.  I know he's had his fair share of **** the past couple years, but I think in Sac-town he's gonna produce to the tune of 45% FG, 85% FT, a 3 per game, 18+ PPG, 6 REB, 3 AST, 2 STL, plus a Block per game to boot.  That is special.  Defensive player of the year potential too.

Ilgauskas at 5th is a nice pick too.  Here is a center who puts up great numbers and actually contributes in FT%.  Last season: 15.5 PPG, 50% FG, 83% FT, 7.5 REB, 1.7 BLK.  That's a solid #5 and a rarity in FT% for a center.  I'm gonna be pretty nifty in that category I suspect.

#6 pick, I can't believe.  I got Rasheed Wallace who was last season's 10th best fantasy basketball player in the 6th round.   On top of that, with Big Ben out of the picture, I think he's going to assume a lot more rebounds.  I'm not even going to speculate how much better his numbers will be, but you gotta love the blocks/3's/REB rarity combination from his position.  Another unique player.

Lastly is Hamilton #7.  I'm not in love, but he's solid with the 20 PPG, 49% FG, 84% FT, 0.7 3's.

About all the bench players, and especially Turkoglu/ Howard right before you wanted them Brent, Howard was a total accident, I meant Turkoglu.  Then after the Howard accident I took Turkoglu.  I didn't drop Howard yet because wouldn't it be funny if I scored someone special in error?  He might replace Hamilton at SG.  Anyhow, after reading about Howard, he might be poised to play a bigger role on the Mavs so I'll sit on him for 6 weeks and see what's up.

I think everyone had a pretty good draft.  Looking around the league, I gotta say some of the rebound numbers scare the **** out of me.  I don't think I'm gonna be too good there but Wallace and Ilgauskas are solid and Artest and Diaw just might surprise a few of you in that department.   I'd say that my strengths are likely to be FG%, FT%, 3's, AST; while being mediocre at points, steals and blocks; and potentially not so hot in turnovers and rebounds.

Of course, things rarely shake out like you plan.  But this is going to be pretty competitive I think.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2006, 08:12 PM »

I also had my computer freeze three times during the draft

I always worry about that, so when we do these live drafts I always light up the laptop as well in another bedroom just incase the first computer freezes I can cut down the hallways and pull the ol' okey doke into the next room where hopefully I'd have enough time to still make the pick.

Doesn't seem like it hurt you too bad though.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2006, 11:23 PM »
Hrmmmm.  Just taking a quick look at last year's stats among the 2 players I took instead of Paul, vs. Paul himself:

Player                      FG%     FT%    3's    Pts    Reb    Ast       ST      BLK    TO

Gilbert Arenas              44.7      82      2.5   29.3   3.5      6.1     2.0       .3       3.7

Steve Nash                  51.2      92      1.9    18.9   4.2     10.5    0.8      .2       3.5

Chris Paul                    43.0      85      0.6    16.1   5.1      7.8     2.2      .1       2.4

Looking at the comparison, it pretty much confirms what I thought - maybe you shouldn't be thanking me.  Nash is a better player, not to mention last year's MVP (and the year before that).  Nash outnumbers Paul in categories by 5 to 4, but really puts Paul to shame in 4 of those categories FG%, FT%, 3's, AST; whereas Paul only puts Nash to shame in 2 categories TO and ST.

Arenas does bow down to Paul in 5 of the 9 categories, but there is a really massive divide in Arenas over Paul in PTS and 3's; whereas Paul does have a huge edge over Arenas only in TO.

Following that logic, and since all categories are weighed equally, I judge Arenas and Nash to be better than Paul.  But hey, you beat my ass in year 1.  You'll probably do it again I reckon.   I'm not so hot at basketball admittedly.

I don't at all disagree that Nash and Arenas are generally better on paper than Paul.  Last year.  I've probably bought into the hype in a big way too about Paul, but I'm hoping for a better year as a sophomore and I'm wondering if Nash can do it all over, yet again.  As for Arenas, why the hell he's designated at PG is simply astounding to me.  I think you made a spectacular pick for SG with Arenas, but he doesn't have the stats for the point guard really. 

My guess/hope for Paul is he will step up his production in terms of scoring and assists, upwards of 19 ppg and more like 8-9 apg.  So yeah, he's still behind Nash for assists, but I'll let some dude named Billups pull up that slack.  His rebounds and steals are phenomenal for a PG.  Where he sucks is 3s and I figure to bring up the ass end of that category anyway :-\

I'd likely have taken Arenas or Nash had you left them behind, but my strategy was to target specific guys and hope they fell to me in rounds I felt were suitable.  Brand, Billups, Boozer, West and Mohammed all fit that category and I'm ecstatic to have picked them up where I did.  Bell, Ford, Granger, Williams, Murphy and G. Wallace were either what I felt had really good upside (Ford, Granger, Williams, Murphy) or were what I pretty desperately needed - Wallace at SG. 

BTW, I'm picking Claxton as being one of the top ten point guards this year and I'd have picked him had he come around to me again. 

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2006, 11:25 PM »
As an outsider looking in, I'm curious as to how the draft played out.  Would one of you mind posting who got drafted when ... at least for the first few rounds?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2006, 11:28 PM »
As an outsider looking in, I'm curious as to how the draft played out.  Would one of you mind posting who got drafted when ... at least for the first few rounds?

Round 1
1. L. James Air Up There
2. S. Marion The Defendin...
3. K. Garnett Snagglicious!
4. K. Bryant john's team
5. D. Wade Team Venture
6. D. Nowitzki Minnesota Mu...
7. E. Brand Canuckleheads
8. G. Arenas Dressel's Re...
Round 2
1. S. Nash Dressel's Re...
2. C. Paul Canuckleheads
3. A. Iverson Minnesota Mu...
4. V. Carter Team Venture
5. C. Bosh john's team
6. Y. Ming Snagglicious!
7. R. Allen The Defendin...
8. T. Duncan Air Up There
Round 3
1. P. Pierce Air Up There
2. A. Stoudemire The Defendin...
3. A. Kirilenko Snagglicious!
4. J. O'Neal john's team
5. D. Howard Team Venture
6. J. Kidd Minnesota Mu...
7. C. Billups Canuckleheads
8. B. Diaw Dressel's Re...
Round 4
1. R. Artest Dressel's Re...
2. R. Lewis Canuckleheads
3. M. Redd Minnesota Mu...
4. C. Anthony Team Venture
5. T. McGrady john's team
6. J. Richardson Snagglicious!
7. B. Wallace The Defendin...
8. L. Odom Air Up There
Round 5
1. M. Okur Air Up There
2. P. Stojakovic The Defendin...
3. J. Johnson Snagglicious!
4. J. Smith john's team
5. K. Hinrich Team Venture
6. B. Miller Minnesota Mu...
7. G. Wallace Canuckleheads
8. Z. Ilgauskas Dressel's Re...
Round 6
1. R. Wallace Dressel's Re...
2. C. Boozer Canuckleheads
3. A. Jamison Minnesota Mu...
4. C. Kaman Team Venture
5. M. Bibby john's team
6. M. Camby Snagglicious!
7. J. Terry The Defendin...
8. C. Butler Air Up There
Round 7
1. J. Nelson Air Up There
2. C. Webber The Defendin...
3. R. Jefferson Snagglicious!
4. R. Felton john's team
5. A. Iguodala Team Venture
6. A. Nocioni Minnesota Mu...
7. D. West Canuckleheads
8. R. Hamilton Dressel's Re...
Round 8
1. S. Marbury Dressel's Re...
2. R. Bell Canuckleheads
3. M. Peterson Minnesota Mu...
4. C. Villanueva Team Venture
5. M. James john's team
6. S. Battier Snagglicious!
7. B. Davis The Defendin...
8. P. Gasol Air Up There
Round 9
1. M. Miller Air Up There
2. S. O'Neal The Defendin...
3. L. Ridnour Snagglicious!
4. M. Ginobili john's team
5. E. Okafor Team Venture
6. B. Roy Minnesota Mu...
7. T. Ford Canuckleheads
8. J. Howard Dressel's Re...
Round 10
1. H. Turkoglu Dressel's Re...
2. D. Granger Canuckleheads
3. R. Foye Minnesota Mu...
4. L. Hughes Team Venture
5. C. Maggette john's team
6. A. Bogut Snagglicious!
7. S. Cassell The Defendin...
8. S. Claxton Air Up There
Round 11
1. D. Milicic Air Up There
2. R. Davis The Defendin...
3. A. Harrington Snagglicious!
4. T. Chandler john's team
5. A. Morrison Team Venture
6. Z. Randolph Minnesota Mu...
7. T. Murphy Canuckleheads
8. S. Dalembert Dressel's Re...
Round 12
1. C. Mobley Dressel's Re...
2. M. Williams Canuckleheads
3. B. Simmons Minnesota Mu...
4. T. Parker Team Venture
5. D. Gooden john's team
6. B. Gordon Snagglicious!
7. E. Jones The Defendin...
8. M. Dunleavy Air Up There
Round 13
1. N. Krstic Air Up There
2. S. Abdur-Rahim The Defendin...
3. R. Alston Snagglicious!
4. B. Knight john's team
5. M. Williams Team Venture
6. R. LaFrentz Minnesota Mu...
7. N. Mohammed Canuckleheads

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2006, 01:31 AM »
None of this round by round analysis for me.  I'm banking on my top three picks of LeBron, Tim, and Paul to carry me.   ;D

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2006, 08:18 AM »
Thanks, Matt.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2006, 03:48 PM »
None of this round by round analysis for me.  I'm banking on my top three picks of LeBron, Tim, and Paul to carry me.   ;D

I think most of us would say that we're counting on our top 3 players to carry our teams.   :)

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2006, 04:57 PM »
the league does get thin faster than you would think.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 2, 2006, 10:21 AM »
It's always fun watching one of your players commit a flagrant foul on one of your other players in the first game of the season :o  Granger slams Wallace to the floor and Wallace leaves the game, probably with a concussion. 

On the bright side, Boozer was a monster last night (and he has a wickedly cool name). 

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 2, 2006, 01:46 PM »
I didn't have any TV or internet last night cuz I just moved, now I'm on the computer at work, but I turned on ESPN radio in the car this morning to get some scores and on the update I hear:

"Bucs over the Pistons 105 to 97.  Rasheed Wallace with no points, a flagrant foul, 2 technicals, and an ejection."

Not exactly the numbers you wished your fantasy power forward would put up  ;)  Rasheed is a great player with unique characteristics but he is one of the biggest crybabies in The Association.

I can laugh about it now though.

Ron Artest with 7 steals.
« Last Edit: November 2, 2006, 01:48 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 2, 2006, 03:21 PM »
Ron Artest with 7 steals.

Yeah, he's a force.  Players have to stop trying to drive on him.  He's too quick and too strong, so just give it up already.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 3, 2006, 08:04 PM »
Well the first quarter is almost over for the Pistons and Sheed hasn't assaulted anybody or been thrown out of the game yet so ****, things are looking up.